Options

Anyone else stuck in a Hardware Tech/Desktop support role?

DNMDNM Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been in the same position for 6 years. It sucks. I do basic hardware support for my company. I have been trying to branch out into other positions, but none ever open. I would love to get into network administration with an emphasis on security, but I cannot find any postions that would even allow me to increase my skill set. My current company posts jobs for senior techs which I am unqualified for, even when they already have too many seniors. I currently have my MCSE 2003, A+, and SEC +. I was thinking about upgrading my MCSE to the MCITP, but it seems kind of worthless since my MCSE certificate would be better used as toilet paper. I decided to begin working on my CCNA instead, since I feel that having Cisco knowledge would be more beneficial then updating my MCSE. I would also like to go back to college, but the tuition reimbursement at my company is completely worthless; they wont reimburse you unless the course is job related. If I take an advanced networking course, I would not be eligable for reimbursement because I don't actually do much networking at my current job. Since the tuition reimbursement sucks, and I don't make enough money to go to college and complete my degree, I am pretty much stuck. I am talking to a few recruiters now, but it seems I just keep getting offered more desktop support roles. I would even be happy with an expanded desktop support role, one that would allow me to branch out and would have more upward mobility. I really don't know what to do, other then just keep at it everyday until someone wants to take a chance on me and I can move onto a better company. Anyone else deal with something similar?

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    One problem is you're waiting for someone to take a chance on you. You need to take initiative and take a chance on them first. Recruiters do not count. Personally, that is the lazy route in my book and why put your future in someone's hands when they do not care about it? Is it a good backup? Probably, but you should never bet on it.

Look for better work yourself, direct from the sources. Just the other day, I found 8 jobs for a friend of mine (non-IT related, experienced managerial/supervisor/director stuff) in a span of 10 minutes. That doesn't count any that I've just come across casually and sent him previously.

Polish your resume (or post it here for critique) and get on the hunt. I bet you can find at least a few attractive jobs out there in the time it took you to register and make this post.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    One problem is you're waiting for someone to take a chance on you. You need to take initiative and take a chance on them first. Recruiters do not count. Personally, that is the lazy route in my book and why put your future in someone's hands when they do not care about it? Is it a good backup? Probably, but you should never bet on it.

Look for better work yourself, direct from the sources. Just the other day, I found 8 jobs for a friend of mine (non-IT related, experienced managerial/supervisor/director stuff) in a span of 10 minutes. That doesn't count any that I've just come across casually and sent him previously.

Polish your resume (or post it here for critique) and get on the hunt. I bet you can find at least a few attractive jobs out there in the time it took you to register and make this post.

I hear you. I have gotten my resume professionally done and have been posting my resume everywhere. The only people who have been calling me back are recruiters. It just seems there is such a large gap from moving on from a desktop support role to a systems admin role, and certifications haven't really helped much. I guess I just have to keep trying and eventually an opportunity will come up. I am just so burnt out from my current job that it is really hard to be motivated, except for when I am studying for other certs.
  • Options
    NiftySwiftyNiftySwifty Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DNM wrote: »
    It just seems there is such a large gap from moving on from a desktop support role to a systems admin role, and certifications haven't really helped much.

The path most folks take to get into network engineering is starting work in a NOC. A CCNA, combined with your desktop support background, would likely be enough to get into a NOC. A CCNP, along with your background, would likely be enough to get you a real entry level network engineering position. In this process, I would definitely buy some rack time and get a rack problem workbook to go through--don't put it on your resume, but it shows real initiative in an interview. Rack time isn't free, but it's definitely not outrageous either. (About a dollar an hour, IIRC).

Also, where are you located? Some cities just suck for opportunities. Although relocation assistance is less common these days, some companies still do it. Expand your search, consider relocating.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What's NOC?

If you're open to... oh man, i miss my mechanical keyboard! icon_sad.gif

Anyways, if you're open for relocation - I'd say start with atleast 2 grand of savings. I came down to my position with a grand, it wasn't enough after paying the desposit/ first month's rent. By the time I had the money, I needed to open accounts (based on the past months of usage from prior residents) for Utilities. Then open accounts for cable, etc.

By the time I was through paying for the deposits... I was out of money for an entire month. 2k would've atleast given me a place to put over my head as the landlord didn't want me to move in without lights.

And yeah. Keep looking, look actively. Take a chance and pick out a position you think you're qualified for. 6 years is a good bit of time put in for one company, it'll be seen as a plus.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep on applying!! You have a good amount of experience/certs icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think its easy to get "stuck" in desktop support depending on where you work. I got lucky because it was easy to progress since not all the desktop guys/gals wanted to move beyond desktop so I got my MCSE and moved up in the company. My advice is get the heck out of desktop first chance you get since its inevitable that most desktops will be a centrally managed device and desktop support will be the guy who just manually delivers a replacement device.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I think its easy to get "stuck" in desktop support depending on where you work. I got lucky because it was easy to progress since not all the desktop guys/gals wanted to move beyond desktop so I got my MCSE and moved up in the company. My advice is get the heck out of desktop first chance you get since its inevitable that most desktops will be a centrally managed device and desktop support will be the guy who just manually delivers a replacement device.

I agree with this. I have been doing desktop support for almost 4 years now, but I don't feel stuck. I've been working on improving my education via experience, degrees, and certs. I'm biding my time now, doing my B.S. in IT. After that, I will probably start looking for something higher. That said, some people aren't very motivated, so once they get a decent position, they will often stay for a long time.
  • Options
    IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can understand what you mean by feeling like you're stuck. I felt that way and sometimes, often feel that way still, but I realize that I was wasting valuable time if I didn't take advantage of my situation. I took on the tasks that I had never done before, took on the tasks that were harder so I could learn. I used my time to study for certifications and completing my degree. Right now, I'm enrolled with WGU to complete my MSIA.

Keep looking for different jobs! I know they say it a lot and it's cliche, but it's true... LOCATION.. LOCATION.. LOCATION!! Depending on where you are, you might have to move..

It's also about timing! I know I've been accepted for a position and moved there only to be offered a better position in the location I just left. Just keep trying and doing what you can to better yourself for potential positions.
    Working on: NOTHING
    Left To Do: EVERYTHING
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    As long as your resume is good and you can interview well you'll be able to move up. I know you paid to have it done but post it up anyways for us to take a look through.

I was in a similar position after a few years in Desktop Support and ended up getting offered a Systems Administrator position that I found on craigslist. You just need to put yourself out there and someone will take a chance. Apply for anything and everything that you think would be a move up!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I agree with this. I have been doing desktop support for almost 4 years now, but I don't feel stuck. I've been working on improving my education via experience, degrees, and certs. I'm biding my time now, doing my B.S. in IT. After that, I will probably start looking for something higher. That said, some people aren't very motivated, so once they get a decent position, they will often stay for a long time.

I think this write up is excellent.

I agree some people enjoy life and don't feel it's necessary to break out of help desk right away. I know a few bright people like that, they are just working hard and waiting for their break. They usually get it eventually if they continue to do a good job.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    As long as your resume is good and you can interview well you'll be able to move up. I know you paid to have it done but post it up anyways for us to take a look through.

I was in a similar position after a few years in Desktop Support and ended up getting offered a Systems Administrator position that I found on craigslist. You just need to put yourself out there and someone will take a chance. Apply for anything and everything that you think would be a move up!

Well said

Just a few key certifications some solid (preferably) contiguous experience and you are on your way.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I did deskside support for many years for two reasons: worked for one of the top companies in my area and always had increasing responsibilities. Since it was so dynamic it never felt like the same job year after year. Later on I moved to a Sr. Desktop Suport role in a medium environment which lead to a Sys Admin position. The opportunities are definitely out there.

I always say that life is too short to be miserable. OP, i'm not saying you are, but you may be getting there. I would go for that MCITP. I did mine while still doing desktop support and it helped me a lot when hunting for a new job. Even thoug your curent employer doesnt care about your certs, someone out there does. Have a plan, determine where you want to go and how you will get there. Work hard executing that plan and you will succeed.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    To the OP

I was in an identical spot as you were:

I was working in Desktop Support / Helpdesk type jobs for about 5 years and I wanted out -
    Since we already had a NOC at the company I just had done some seeking through our company posting and who I knew in the company that worked in a network department and luckily the manager of the NOC needed a back fill for a "data engineer" spot - and that's all she wrote.

It then allowed me to touch real gear and work trouble tickets and take advantage of in-house training etc. It paved the way to where I'm at and where I'm headed.

On that note - depending on the industry you work in; You may find it easier to seek out NOC (Network Operations) type of positions that are in the repair side... A lot of places advertise NOC and all it is is monitoring servers and opening tickets for a "real engineer" to look at it - which is not what you want to be doing.

I would recrop your resume and include any and all network experience you may have whether it be racking/stacking - tcp/ip troubleshooting on windows boxes whatever it may be (hell make some up if you're confident but dont go overboard) then start seeking things on indeed.com for keywords like: NOC, MPLS, BGP, Cisco, CCNA, VoIP, Routing etc and see what comes up and apply to what might be interesting to you.

It's very VERY VERY!! hard to transition from DST to Network because your resume reads like a jack of all trades (which was my case but thanks to to the guys on TE it looks WAY better) you get pigeon hold into these types of jobs and people start to see you as "The IT Guy" no matter what you do; You have to just seek it out and the break will happen and it's all moving forward at that point. Even the calmest lake can break a dam if there is enough ass behind it.

Best of Luck
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    6 years with the company, MCSE 2003, A+ and Security+ but you are unqualified for a senior title? Why?
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same position, I've been doing Desktop Support for 4 years now and looking to move up, but with my employer (IT Service provider) its hard to move up.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I did deskside support for many years for two reasons: worked for one of the top companies in my area and always had increasing responsibilities. Since it was so dynamic it never felt like the same job year after year. Later on I moved to a Sr. Desktop Suport role in a medium environment which lead to a Sys Admin position. The opportunities are definitely out there.

I always say that life is too short to be miserable. OP, i'm not saying you are, but you may be getting there. I would go for that MCITP. I did mine while still doing desktop support and it helped me a lot when hunting for a new job. Even thoug your curent employer doesnt care about your certs, someone out there does. Have a plan, determine where you want to go and how you will get there. Work hard executing that plan and you will succeed.

In my situation, the responsibilities essentially remain the same throughout, I personally have met with my boss about doing something extra and she really didn't have anything to offer. I'm assuming OP may be caught in a similar "revolving door" situation.

I'm curious, what other knowledge/experience did you have to go directly from Desktop Support to System Admin? This is essentially what I would like to do. I'm looking for a Desktop Support III/Sr. position that would place me in a position to move up like this.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    TheCudder wrote: »
    I'm curious, what other knowledge/experience did you have to go directly from Desktop Support to System Admin? This is essentially what I would like to do. I'm looking for a Desktop Support III/Sr. position that would place me in a position to move up like this.

Well, I've had my hands in a lot of things, just not super in depth. For my previous company I was maintaining their webserver, sharepoint site, SQL server, exchange server, file server, print server, ect ect... I also got quite a bit of experience with VoIP and the admin side of Windows deployments.

Basically I had just taken it upon myself to go beyond my duties and take on extra tasks. Management never really realized this but it got me the experience I needed nonetheless.
  • Options
    Well, I've had my hands in a lot of things, just not super in depth. For my previous company I was maintaining their webserver, sharepoint site, SQL server, exchange server, file server, print server, ect ect... I also got quite a bit of experience with VoIP and the admin side of Windows deployments.

Basically I had just taken it upon myself to go beyond my duties and take on extra tasks. Management never really realized this but it got me the experience I needed nonetheless.

Ah I see. I've got the opportunity to try and revive our teams sharepoint site (no one currently uses it) so i've been researching sharepoint lately, but the other things i really have no chance to get my hands on, so it always comes down to the environment you're working in i guess.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    6 years with the company, MCSE 2003, A+ and Security+ but you are unqualified for a senior title? Why?

I am wondering the same thing.

Anyway there's nothing wrong with recruiters per se, the majority of job openings use recruiters so they are a neccessary evil. Even though your MCSE has gone to waste in desktop support hell you can at least use the knowledge gained by doing it to give the impression that you do high level server work, and tweak your resume to make it look like that's what you do. It will hopefully make the recruiters target you with better roles.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    eansdad wrote: »

That is why. Those are entry-level certs that anyone can have after at least a year. Senior positions require you to have far more certs, particular vendor-related certs for specific software and hardware packages and time put in doing specific kinds of work that speaks volumes about your capabilities. Desktop support is known for being a long road to nowhere as far as careers go and the guys who end up getting the senior positions get them through attrition or out-certifying their peers as it's a very cut-throat line of work where everyone is focused on keeping themselves gainfully employed.
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    If you really want server experience, it shouldn't be that hard to obtain. Find an overworked consultant, tell him you just need to get your hands on server experience, and tell him/her you are willing to work for low pay and a letter of recommendation if you do good work. You can then assist with server migrations should they need to be done on a weekend, perform any evening duties, etc. Most work is done during business hours, so you will be limited. However, there is work that can be done remotely and during the evenings. Common tasks might include resolving AntiVirus update issues (sometimes the server does not push out updates due to license, disk space, or other issues), deploying software, performing security scans/assessments, making tweaks to monitoring/reporting software, and basically implementing the things that small staff companies do not have the time to properly research and deploy but which they'd like to use as selling points. You can also take a position in the server team for a large organization or work for an MSP. I would not recommend taking a position with low pay or less stability just to say you have server experience, though. As important as that may seem, you still need money in the bank and a quality work history. Getting into the mix of a highly competitive MSP market could result in being let go even if you did good work. The server team route is increasingly third party even at large organizations, so that route may be somewhat unstable, too. Choose the company carefully.
  • Options
    I just wanted to thank you all for the advice and provide an update on my situation. Apparently, word leaked to management that I was unhappy with my current situation and have been applying for other jobs. I also went on a job interview this morning, which seems like a similar role to what I am doing now, but with may more control and I would be able to get my hands dirty with some server side work, although the pay would probably be similar to what I am making now. Now here is the kicker. My boss called me into her office to discuss my situation. They cannot give me a direct promotion, but they want to reword my job description which would put me on a higher pay scale. I spoke with the network manager and he has a few network related tasks that we can work into my job description such some basic Cisco configuration and a few server side tasks. Anything else you guys would ask for? I feel like I may be able to get more.

Its funny though how all my hard work, coming in everyday on time, excellent reports on my customer service ability, displaying more technical abilities than my peers at my current position, all didn't mean **** until they figured out I was ready to jump ship. I will never make that mistake again.
  • Options
    Good news man, it's great to hear you'll be able grow more in your current position and also earn a pay raise. I discussed with my boss a raise and more responsibilities and I just got told raises (if you want to call it that) are coming later in the year and that I can help another co-worker design/manage the team SharePoint site that no one uses. icon_rolleyes.gif That leaves me continuing to search for a Desktop Support role that allows me me to do a bit more.
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    I just recently acquired a job as an End User Support Specialist (Desktop Support), and I can say that one of my fears IS getting stuck; however, I don't really seeing that being an issue as far as "certifications" or "education". The way I look at it is: It's more who you know, what you can learn, and not "what you know now".

My $0.02.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    You need to position yourself better. You have plenty of certifications, you need real world experience. Someone mentioned providing your services for low pay, that's a solid idea. Move sideways to get a head. If you are not able to move up in the environment you are in then you need to position yourself so you can. While you are at it apply for junior sys admin jobs if they are out there. If not go for another environment with the intent of moving up. Do this while you have a job. One of the helpdesk job I took about 5 years back had a networking element to it. It was a really sweet deal. I ended up monitoring all the networking using all these toolsets. The job was labeled as helpdesk but I gained more out of it than that.
  • Options
    What's wrong with designing a Sharepoint site? That's another skill you can leverage down the road. In this market you have to take what you can get and sometimes it's not as cool as it may seem in the beginning but ends up blossoming into something special. Having a negative attitude about additional responsibility is not going to get you anywhere.

What if you designed the site and it looked lights out?

You can do a lot with design. Get a SharePoint design/user book and start to learn the ins and outs. Ask for admin rights to the sites and learn the security piece in SharePoint. Start uploading images of your company and branding the site. Instead of using folders create metatags they are a lot less clunky than folders.

That's is a solid opportunity.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I would also like to go back to college, but the tuition reimbursement at my company is completely worthless; they wont reimburse you unless the course is job related. If I take an advanced networking course, I would not be eligable for reimbursement because I don't actually do much networking at my current job. Since the tuition reimbursement sucks, and I don't make enough money to go to college and complete my degree, I am pretty much stuck.

Going back to your original post, even though your circumstances have changed a bit. . .

There was a lot of "I can't because they won't" in your original post. As others have mentioned, you're going to have to work to make your own opportunities, and be creative about it.

About college. . . if they won't give you tuition, then DON'T bother. This is not saying you should avoid college, this means do it yourself cheaper such that you don't have to depend on anyone. If you're acclimated to self-study via certifications, then buy some cheap books and get started on CLEP/DSST exams to knock out general education and elective requirements. When you have the money to go back, or can get tuition reimbursed, transfer those credits to whatever program you want to attend. There are other options as well-- Straighterline, ACE-approved courses, single online courses from various schools. Just start piling up the credits. Even if you have to retake or transfer a few, it's better than never even getting started.

I can't begin to tell you how much hassle it would have saved me if I had started piling up credits even a year earlier than I did. Putting off going back to school for several years was bad enough, but there were goof-off moments during that period that would have been better used for study. I would likely have had a BS-IT done a year sooner if I had started piling up those credits sooner, and there's no way I can tell you how much it would have helped to have that degree even a few months earlier.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    What's wrong with designing a Sharepoint site? That's another skill you can leverage down the road. In this market you have to take what you can get and sometimes it's not as cool as it may seem in the beginning but ends up blossoming into something special. Having a negative attitude about additional responsibility is not going to get you anywhere.

What if you designed the site and it looked lights out?

You can do a lot with design. Get a SharePoint design/user book and start to learn the ins and outs. Ask for admin rights to the sites and learn the security piece in SharePoint. Start uploading images of your company and branding the site. Instead of using folders create metatags they are a lot less clunky than folders.

That's is a solid opportunity.

Well I will be granted admin rights and I do plan to do as much as I can so I can add the experience/responsibility to my resume. But it's a region team sharepoint team site, and not intended for the entire company. I have a meeting tomorrow for it, but really trying to come up with some ideas to make it effective and not just another useless webpage that no one will visit since the majority of our information and data are on other sites. The regional team i was with a year ago really only used it to upload weekly data (something we currently just e-mail to our manager weekly) & random documents that everyone already has.
  • Options
    That's great man.

Grab a requirements template from the internet and take down the high level requirements onto the template. Break it down into sections, organize it like an Affinity diagram. Break the information down into groupings that make sense.

Here are some ideas you can take in with you to make sure you capture the right requirements.

Laws, rules and regulations, company policies. In other make sure you don't get in trouble because you put the companies logo on the left side instead of the right side (brand standards)

What type of content are the people using this site going to require. Company templates, and share calendar, knowledge base etc.

Design. What type of look are they going for. Is their a standard SharePoint template that you have to use or can you free style a bit.

These are things I might think about. I would also create an entity related diagram. Design the forms and how they will link into each other. Where do you want the knowledge base to be located. If you go into design without a plan your site will end up looking bad. Especially if this is your first time. I would do some searches on (Sharepoint Design Methods). Get some ideas and leverage those as your own. You never know, this one off opportunity could lead into another "Project".

PS Makes sure you document your project hours and the project itself. It can be added to your resume at a later date.
  • Options
    kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I currently have my MCSE 2003, A+, and SEC +. I was thinking about upgrading my MCSE to the MCITP, but it seems kind of worthless since my MCSE certificate would be better used as toilet paper. Anyone else deal with something similar?

Yikes... Looks like I'll be looking at sleeping under newspapers soon icon_neutral.gif

Associates in networking technology with a concentration in Cisco. CCENT and A+ of course. I don't get jack for job offers. I've applied to hundreds of positions, yes HUNDREDS with a HUN. We are talking Arizona, Texas, Colorado, S and N California, Washington, and Florida. Most people that i get to phone interview for want people that have had experience in specific things or want specific things. I can't fill in every specific thing for every company, its impossible. Two examples. One company did not want to hire me because I've never worked for a large corporation. Another didn't want to hire me because I didn't have years of experience in active directory, this was right after I finished my server 2008 active directory class. It was fresh and in my brain, able to answer any question, but yet here I am waiting to be homeless again.

I don't mind spending money on certs, it's just i don't have any money. lol...
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I was thinking about upgrading my MCSE to the MCITP, but it seems kind of worthless since my MCSE certificate would be better used as toilet paper.

Oh yeah, I didn't get to that earlier.

Yeah, MCSEs are fading into the background, to be sure. But there are still job postings that ask for them as a possible entry requirement, as those folks usually have experience to go with the cert. So don't be so down on it. An MCITP is not a bad idea, but pace yourself. The MCITP:SA is only three exams, so start there. Start with the MCTS exam that most closely approximates the last MCSE exam you took, so you're not having to learn so much new material.

And college, college, college. CLEP it if you have to.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers