Options

Videogame-critical question

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guyz and girlz, im back again. I cant seem to solve some unknown about video games. Now, lets go mad. Im trying to play the witcher 2 on computer, yes you heard it right, despite the low hardware i have. I had completed the first game on my desktop(fell asleep way before). now, trying my luck for the second game.

The main issue i have experienced from launching the first save to loading the save after dying unexpectedly, is the fact the game driving the central processor totally crazy all the time keeping it all the time at %100. Mostly, loading times take too long but
its not my real concern before this.

My hardware specs : 4096 MB DDR3 RAM (main memory)
1596 MB Hyper memory (shared)
Intel HD 4500 M HD graphics chipset (640 MHz GPU clock rate)
intel celeron dual core su2300 1.2 GHz CPU , 800 MHz FSB, 1 Mb l2 cache

Im concerned with what causes CPU stays at %100 when the game is launched until quitting. What could you say about it?(it doesn't occur on Skyrim)
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Was this a cheap laptop purchase? If it has a Celeron, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a 5400rpm hard drive as well. You ultimately don't even meet the minimum requirements to run the game. And I find it hard to believe you can run Skyrim on it to where its playable. :\
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wait did I see Celeron??
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Now, you will be unconsciously surprised what im gonna write down here. Even in this game, im about to end the chapter 2. The quest name is Vergen Besieged. In Skyrim, i have had much better playability than the witcher 2 so far. I took a break at level 29 in Skyrim. Im not kidding, guyz.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thedrama wrote: »
    Now, you will be unconsciously surprised what im gonna write down here. Even in this game, im about to end the chapter 2. The quest name is Vergen Besieged. In Skyrim, i have had much better playability than the witcher 2 so far. I took a break at level 29 in Skyrim. Im not kidding, guyz.

Atleast you're not trying to pull off a Battlefield 3. It'll take vram for a wine, and dine, and then @!#$ it in the worst way >.>

Really though. A celeron, unless you have a real good video card - it won't happen well. Mobile graphics naming conventions are not the equal to their desktop versions.

Cutting Through Mobile Graphics Naming : Radeon HD 6990M And GeForce GTX 580M: A Beautiful Lie
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Sorry man, but your computer blows. I am not surprised at all that it uses 100% CPU considering you have a dual core celeron at 1.2Ghz.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Wait did I see Celeron??

Hard to miss. It doesn't go very fast. Doh! :D

Mid-high end video cards still need a decent CPU accompanying them, in addition to the obvious power requirements. Otherwise, sluggishness will ensue.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You've got two issues going on, three if you break the second up into its core components:
    1. The Celeron processor is a stripped-down version of Intel's main line of CPUs. It lacks things like a dedicated math co-processor and less on-board memory for caching, for example, so it's going to have to work a lot harder to crunch the same numbers a comparable Core 2 Duo or i3/5 series would.
    2. The video chipset you're running doesn't have it's own dedicated memory, it borrows from the system RAM to process video. This process is not only stealing some of your system RAM, but it's also much, MUCH less performance-friendly than a discrete memory chipset would be.
    3. With only 4GB of RAM, there isn't a whole lot for the video chip to steal without leaving you hanging.
    The long and the short of is that, while some games seem to run better than others on this hardware, very few game companies are going to design and test for hardware profiles that fall into the non-gaming, economy category. . . like the Intel 4500MHD video chipset, or for Celeron CPUs (anymore). The end-result is that sometimes everything works great and the game optimizes itself to work just fine. . . and other times things get wonky, like your CPU gets slammed and your memory usage goes through the roof. It's really a crap-shoot when using hardware not geared towards gaming.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.