Options

Resume Critiquing Please

Hello everyone. I am currently in my Master's program and concentrating on DBA/Data warehousing/Business Intelligence. I am immediately looking for internships for the summer, and full time work when I graduate and would like to have my resume improved if possible. Please let me know what you guys think! Formatting is weird here so I have attached an image of my resume

Comments

• Options
    UniqueAgEnTUniqueAgEnT Member Posts: 102
    Here is my resume (without formattting perfectly)

SUMMARY:
    Two years Database Administrator/Developer in SQL Server professional experience
    Certifications: MCITP SQL 2008 DBA, COMPTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Excel 2007
    Able to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines while working on multiple projects simultaneously

EDUCATION:
    The University of Arizona
    Master of Science in Management Information Systems
    • Expected Graduation: December 2012
    • Cumulative GPA: 4.0
    Bachelor of Science in Business Administration December 2010
    • Majors: Management Information System, Operations Management
    • Cumulative GPA: 3.86 Major GPA: 4.0

EXPERIENCE:

09/11 – present MISOM Consulting Services Tucson, AZ
    Business Intelligence Consultant
    • Design, and administer Microsoft SQL server data warehouses for multiple clients
    • Deploy Excel and SSAS data analysis tools for client’s business intelligence needs
    • Perform business requirements gathering and project scoping

08/11 – present The University of Arizona Tucson, AZ
    SQL Server Programmer/Analyst
    • Develop and administer SSIS/SSAS/SSRS solutions in SQL Server 2005/2008
    • Create, revise and optimize SQL programming based on research requirements
    • Administer ETL processes, stored procedures, functions and SQL Server jobs
    • Manage the SQL programming team to ensure task deadlines are met

06/10 – 10/11 Sierra Southwest Cooperatives Tucson, AZ
    Database Administrator/Developer
    • Implemented database solution with Microsoft Access 2007 front-end and SQL Server 2005/2008 back-end in order to centralize data, reduce duplication and improve processes
    • Administered databases while automating manual processes using ETL, SSIS packages, and scheduled jobs in order to decrease required labor by 80 hours per month
    • Developed, administered and maintained SharePoint 2007/2010 server
    • Enhanced business intelligence with custom queries, reports, and input forms based on client requests

CERTIFICATIONS:
    • MCITP: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Database Administrator
    • MCTS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence Development
    • CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+ Certifications
    • Microsoft Excel 2007 Certification

AWARDS:
    • Graduated Magna Cum Laude – December 2010
    • MIS Outstanding Senior Award – December 2010
    • University of Arizona Dean’s List- 08/06 – 12/06; 08/07 – 05/09
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    You should be able to attach a Word or PDF doc....
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looking at this resume just made me depressed.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pros
    Good content, maybe try to quantify a little more.
    Safe, nothing weird or out of the ordinary.

Cons
    Safe doesn't really have a professional look to it. I would convert the word doc into a PDF and upload. We can see more of the formatting.
    Personally I don't see the point of listing your certifications twice. You have them up in your summary and then down at the end. I would consider rewriting the summary without the certifications. I would consider changing your summary to maybe an objective. That way you can communicate future tense. Explain where you are at, but where you are going as well. Throw a line or two in there stating your goals or your path. If possible quantify your present experience. Saved the company X amount of dollars while improving database availability by 11%. I'm not a DBA but something like that would catch the eye of your future employer. You have to think that the summary/objective is the first part they will read. I would make sure to spend a lot of time getting it right. Brainstorm some quantifiable achievements and list them. Nothing wrong with assumptions either.

Overall solid resume
  • Options
    Ok I have added my resume to this post.

TheCudder, Thanks? I think lol.

N2IT:
    Thank you for the tips. It seems like you know a lot about resumes. Can you suggest a better format for me to use? I have used this format for very long and would like to fix it.

I agree that I need to quantify some of my experience so I will try to work on that. Problem is that I have a lot of small accomplishments without any huge benefits that I want to highlight so I will think about this further.

The summary fix is a good idea also. I quickly put it together without too much effort. What do you think of something like this?

Certified Database Administrator and Business Intelligence Professional
    Specializing in SQL Server database optimization and data warehousing
    Able to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines while working on multiple projects simultaneously

Or I can always use an objective. I had that before, then switched to Summary, and now not sure what to do haha.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How's this version for you? Unique Agent.doc
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

N2IT:
    Thank you for the tips. It seems like you know a lot about resumes. Can you suggest a better format for me to use? I have used this format for very long and would like to fix it.

I agree that I need to quantify some of my experience so I will try to work on that. Problem is that I have a lot of small accomplishments without any huge benefits that I want to highlight so I will think about this further.

The summary fix is a good idea also. I quickly put it together without too much effort. What do you think of something like this?

Certified Database Administrator and Business Intelligence Professional
    Specializing in SQL Server database optimization and data warehousing

Or I can always use an objective. I had that before, then switched to Summary, and now not sure what to do haha.

I think that is a much better summary. Go with that keep hitting it over and over again. Creating your summary should be an iterative process. As you think about it more and more you will come up with new ideas and ways of presenting yourself. The changes won't always be better but you'll recognize that after a while. After you recreate/adjust it 3-4 times I believe you will start to come up with quantitative ideas. Spur those thoughts, think about the metrics your team used in the past. Up time, mean time to restore, mean time between incident. Possible cost savings on recommending new less expensive storage that performed better. (I'm just trying to throw some ideas out there.

Formatting is really up to the individual. I would stay away from anything that's hard to read. I would recommend creating it and having us look at it. We can tell you if it's easy to read or not.

Fonts: Times New Roman, Verdana, Tahoma, Ariel

The safest is Times New Roman imo.

• Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I was offered a full time summer internship/job at Intel, and hopefully will convert to permanent when I graduate in December!
  • Options
    jcole4lsujcole4lsu Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cumulative GPA: 3.86 Major GPA: 4.0
    :respect: