Options

Related to GNS3

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
I downloaded it the first time. However, i can not really find out how to use this application. Read the guide regarding it but still couldn't get rid of some stupid errors while running this application. Apart from such introduction, i need to ask some questions
about it.

1) GNS3 does really require a "real IOS image" for each device on the menu? If so, how could i configure all Cisco devices on packet tracer without doing such a thing?

2) I put the baseconfig.txt as IOS image for c2600 router for example, nothing happens on the router. Why not? Does it have to
be .bin or .img?

3) I can't seem to find how to assign IP addresses to devices in this application, tell me how?
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    1, You need an IOS image, because GNS3 is emulate a router and run the real IOS. Packet Tracert is a simulator which is look like the IOS.
    2, baseconfig: gns3 use this file as a default startup-config.
    3, without an IOS image you cant do anything. as soon as you load the IOS, right click on the router's icon and choose terminal.
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't use GNS3, I use Packet Tracer. In Packet Tracer, the routers & switches have the IOS already loaded on them. You can use a couple of other IOS on the routers & switches. These IOS's are available on the TFTP server. Place the TFTP server on your workspace, place a router on the workspace, connect the two, configure your IP's on the interfaces, then use the CLI commands to copy the desired .bin from the TFTP to the device Flash, reload. Yer all set.

Also....go to YouTube....do a search for "packet tracer".....you'll find quite a bit of videos working with Packet Tracer.
    Here's one site on YouTube....this guy uses Packet Tracer in most of his videos -
    danscourses's Channel - YouTube

hth
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    CBT Nuggets

free (and very good) gns3 tutorial
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    CBT Nuggets

free (and very good) gns3 tutorial

+1. This is exactly how I learned to use GNS3.
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies, guyz. However, my main purpose to use a little complex program is running the SDM with this application. However, it still shows the same two errors.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Is sdm needed for ccna ?

Its gone from the latest version of ccna security
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    alxx wrote: »
    Is sdm needed for ccna ?

Its gone from the latest version of ccna security

I've seen Todd Lammle post on this forum that instructors have received a new topics list that doesn't include SDM (or something to that effect, I don't remember the exact wording and can't find the post now). But it's still listed on the official exam topics, so I wouldn't go into the exam knowing nothing about it. You can probably memorize screen shots out of the book for what little SDM there is in the exam topics anyway. Or look at it this way. If it's not on the exam and you learn it, will it hurt? If you don't learn it and it is on the exam, will it hurt?

@thedrama: What are the error messages you're getting? Without knowing the exact message, it will be impossible to know what is causing it.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Finally can access the forum again - haven't been able to for a week

Its in the old not the new one.

There's a thread in the CCNA security forum.

Last date to sit the old one is 30th september 2012.
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/security_ccna/iins?view=overview

IINS v2.0 (no sdm)
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13753
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014