Options

Which test center is better for the A+ exam?

fusiantechfusiantech Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey, i was wondering what vendor did u test for. Prometric or Pearson Vue? I just took the one for Prometric today and failed, I was wondering what you use to help you prepare for the troubleshooting part of the practical application exam?

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums fusiantech. Sorry to hear you dropped the test.

The exams aren't different between the exam providers Prometric and Pearson Vue. The exams are provided from CompTIA originally, and delivered by the exam providers. It's similar to buying a box of Cheerios from a Farm Fresh grocery store or a Food Lion grocery store. It's still a box of Cheerios from General Mills.

What are you using to study from now?
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally prefer Pearson Vue because their website works better and they are more professional sounding on the phone.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I just read that CompTIA is moving to use Pearson Vue only effective July 9, 2012.

Taking the Test

Microsoft has used Prometric exclusively (except for MTA and MOS exams) for quite a while ago. It sounds like the Prometric testing center's star is certainly falling.
  • Options
    IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE!

As stated before, both test centers are the same.

You might find the Pearson Vue website to be easier to navigate though.

Best of luck to you when you take the exam again! This is only a momentary setback.. Keep at it!
    Working on: NOTHING
    Left To Do: EVERYTHING
  • Options
    TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    I just took N+ today and was told that Prometric (in the UK atleast) have lost the bids for CompTIA and soon won't be offering the courses.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i used pearson but i am assuming they are relatively the same
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    I just read that CompTIA is moving to use Pearson Vue only effective July 9, 2012.

Taking the Test

Microsoft has used Prometric exclusively (except for MTA and MOS exams) for quite a while ago. It sounds like the Prometric testing center's star is certainly falling.

Did not know that about MS exams using Pearson (that explains why I found bugger all in the prometirc site!), and that Prometric was loosing its podium, thanks darril.

Cheers
    Steve
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
    I used Prometric for my A+ and didn't have any problems with them. I took my 220-701 on one day and my 220-702 on another day. Actually, I'm going to be using them for my Network+ N10-004 exam next month.

As Darril already said, CompTIA will no longer offer certs through Prometric and will have Pearson VUE as their exclusive test center. No biggie though because, from what I understand, Microsoft uses only Prometric for their certs.

Until CompTIA has only one test provider, pick the one that might be closer to you. You can also try reading reviews on the test location you're interested in taking your test at. I did that and decided to drive a little further and test at an official Prometric test center (CA002 to be exact).
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    I used Prometric for taking my A+. The Prometric "testing center" was actually a small room located off the lobby of a local IT company. The test administrator was the receptionist for the IT company :D.

While taking both 701 & 702 I encountered issues. When I went to take 701 the test failed to start completely, on multiple computers. They finally got it going half an hour later. It then crashed after displaying the test results. I had to leave empty handed as they had issues accessing the results for printing. They emailed me the exam results as a pdf later in the day. While taking 702 the exam once again crashed at completion, however they were able to print my results this time.

The company staff were friendly and easy to deal with but the Prometric software seemed buggy. When I take my net+ next month I'll be trying my luck at a Pearson center instead.