Options

getting a job as a junior network engineer

Hello All,

I am always looking on craigslists and other job boards to see what kind of opportunities sprout up more specifically towards jr network engineering positions. I always see it requesting ccna level knowledge among other experience.

I have my ccna and started studing for ccnp route. I am set on getting the ccnp and ccda/ccdp but Im a bit concerned that it may hurt me once im job hunting. My question is once i get my ccnp will I be overqualified to be a jr net engineer.

Comments

• Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    You would be considered a Sr Network Engineer on the CCNA/NP level. Most would have 3 -5 years of hands on expereince, not just holding the cert. If you dont have any real work experience then they might make you a Jr. Net Engineer.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i currently hold the title as cisco engineer with a independent reseller. i work on almost every piece of hardware cisco offers from 2800, 3800, 1700, 1800 series routers, 6509 chassis, 4507 chassis, 7200 chassis, 3550, 3650, 3750g switches. i configure them to be tested and make sure everything functions properly before it gets sold tagged and bagged. i am the one that sets up the router bundles for voice, security, etc. also, resolving and repairing any issue hardware/software.

i started a few months back its cool to play with them all but i know itll get repetitive and boring. i even created vbscripts to automate the configs, password recovery, tftp, etc. i plan on installing cme on the 2811 on my rack to play with phones on my down time.

i want to be more on the network side and be challenged.
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Sounds like your more hardware/software support than a network engineer. A network engineer would be designing the topology of the network, recommending the hardware to support the mission, configuring and troubleshooting. Pretty much all aspects of the WAN/LAN networks. I would update your resume and in the cover letter or Objective area put that you are looking to moving into a challanging postion in administrating and troubleshooting postions. Then in the interview tell them what you were doing currently and refresh on the certification.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    Yes exactly I'm more hardware /software based. That's why I want to get my ccnpand look for a junior position. To get me on the network side.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You can go ahead and get the CCNP/CCDX/ but you don't have to put those certifications on your resume. If you don't put them on there then you might not look over qualified.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    You can go ahead and get the CCNP/CCDX/ but you don't have to put those certifications on your resume. If you don't put them on there then you might not look over qualified.

That's something I thought I'd never hear. Obtain a cert and DON'T put it on ones resume. I can see what you mean though. My thought's were, rather then go straight for CCNP, start reading some other Networking material out there that doesn't necessarily focus on Cisco. Network Warrior, and even some Network monitoring books focusing on how to use Wireshark were some ideas I've had.

I know exactly what dmarcisco means though. I've been monitoring the various job boards for quite some time now and using the keywords "Network" or "NOC" only seem to turn up senior level positions. It's almost as if companies don't even want to invest in entry level networking positions anymore and if they are, there promoting the local Helpdesk people internally. I think the only way is to either have contacts in the company or get "lucky" with a local recruiter.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    I actually read network warrior was a great read helped me better understand the hardware at work. Got a book for for wireshark a while back plan to really master packet capturing. I'm also working on my a.a.s degree in network administration because it seems the Jr network engineer jobs are being offer to college graduates. I have 2 yrs to prepare for certs and degree then job searching.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Whoever said "just because you have the cert doesn't mean you have to put it on your resume" has it right. I had a fair amount of MS/Server experience (not by choice), but I wanted a net engineering job- therefore I didn't highlight that experience AT ALL on my resume. If I recall correctly (I'm too lazy to check), I DID put a tiny little blurb about having experience with server technologies- in order to look well-rounded, but at the same time suggest "I'm a network guy, not a server guy"

Just a thought. IMO the key is tailoring your resume to the job you want, not mass firing resume's like a lot of people do, with everything they've ever done listed on there.

Good luck man.
  • Options
    Good advice mrock do you feel going for the ccnp is a wise choice.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Good advice mrock do you feel going for the ccnp is a wise choice.

Absolutely. It certainly won't hurt. The only caveat is that if you **** via braindumps (not saying you would, but a lot of people do), then it's basically worthless. Do it the right way, and I think it'll help you.