Options

is ccie still worth it?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    The CCIE can only help you professionally, no doubt. However it certainly isn't some magical qualification that makes you some type of networking deity. One call to Cisco TAC can certainly affirm how one can be an "internetwork expert" and still be incompetent.

I think the days of TAC engineers being CCIE's have been over for a long, long time. Certainly none of the ones I've dealt with have been.
  • Options
    EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did it for the groupies!! icon_smile.gif

My recommendation is that if you have the time and desire to acquire your CCIE then by all means do it. Even if you put little value in the actual number, you will not regret the learning process.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think the days of TAC engineers being CCIE's have been over for a long, long time. Certainly none of the ones I've dealt with have been.

A lot of the ones I have dealt with are CCIEs. Just like any other qualification in life, some are good some are bad.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    The only TAC engineers that have been CCIE's for me have been the Team Leads when the current case I'm working on we're stuck.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    A lot of the ones I have dealt with are CCIEs. Just like any other qualification in life, some are good some are bad.

I tend to deal with CMTS TAC engineers these days, and none of the guys I deal with are CCIE's (I ask, and I also notice the distinct lack of a number in their email sigs). Some of the guys are so bad that I can tell all they're doing is searching an internal knowledge base in a desperate attempt to tell me how to fix the problem I'm seeing (which, most of the time, I've already figured out, but some incidents require a TAC case per internal policy, so I can't fix it until I've talked to Cisco about it)
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168

It likely depends on your service contract as well. We contracted HTTS services and I know most I have dealt with were in fact CCIE. The service wasn't any better.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    We had HTTS service for at my last job and it was hit or miss. Some of the guys there were amazing. Some of the smartest people I've worked with. Some were pretty lame though. Every single one I worked with in HTTS had a CCIE though if I remember correctly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    It depends. There really isn't a demand for CCIEs in the US, despite what Cisco and the tech schools tell you, simply because outsourcing and whatnot has eliminated many in-house networking positions and the jobs that seem to really do want CCIEs are either traveling contract jobs where you live out of a suitcase or you are in military and government installations around the world. Where I live, you pretty much won't find anyone actually maintaining advanced networks in-house as it's usually done via remote access by a third-party contractor such as Cisco or some boutique network support business with a dozen employees for a fraction of what it costs to retain someone full-time.

This confuses me so CCIE are hired generally by contractor companies?
  • Options
    froggy3132000froggy3132000 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you want to get it, get it! Everyone is different, for whatever reason it might not be worth it for some. I know it was worth it for me!
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    11AM-12PM Lunch

You get LUNCH ?

I am in the wrong job :p:p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    You get LUNCH ?

I am in the wrong job :p:p

LoL. Not that I ever get a chance to enjoy it!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    It likely depends on your service contract as well. We contracted HTTS services and I know most I have dealt with were in fact CCIE. The service wasn't any better.

Let's just say that we have the kind of relationship with Cisco that, if it can't get fixed quickly and cleanly, Cisco hauls software engineers out of bed and onto the bridge to do live debugging so they can see how their code is fraking up in production. Now, understand, it doesn't take long to get to someone with a clue, usually about 10 to 15 minutes max, but the initial contact wasn't much better than what I'd expect out of your average NOC.

Arris, otoh, those guys are still sharp.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Your not an expert in Cisco until you can prove it by obtaining the CCIE! icon_thumright.gif

now please kindly deposit 2300 + dollars for your lab exam :0
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    higherho wrote: »
    Your not an expert in Cisco until you can prove it by obtaining the CCIE! icon_thumright.gif

now please kindly deposit 2300 + dollars for your lab exam :0

LoL. Very true. I remember reading somewhere that the average applicant spends $10,000 in JUST prep materials (classes, bootcamps, books, lab materials, rack time, etc) before they pass the CCIE. It might seem like a lot but I've never met anyone in the field who has passed the CCIE and said it wasn't worth it. Probably one of the most amazing stories of someone getting their CCIE is this guy How long does it take to become a CCIE from 0? ? My EtherealMind (and this DEFINITELY is not typical).

For any of you that have passed the CCIE: You are amazing and I admire your hard word.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com