Options

Should I stay or Should I Go??

Hi Guys,

My current job has the following pro's and cons.

Pro's:
1. Very good money and Package.
2. Lots of time to study at work.
3. Expsosure to lots of different clients and technology's.
4. Shift Pattern (this can be and is both.) 4 days off after working 4 days icon_smile.gif
5. 0 stress

Con's:
1. Shift Pattern (this can be and is both.) The Night Shift is dead icon_sad.gif
2.Can be very boring. (I mean there can be days when there is nothing but study to do) while this is a good thing there is only so much study that can be done in 12 hrs before you switch off. Also I like to be busy at work.

I have only been here for little over a year and have a baby on the way. It was not the normal type of job I would have gone for as I have been doing "Senior roles" in the support arena. I would like to get into Pen testing, I have a plan laid out for this (5 Years). But am wondering if I would be better looking for a job that was atleast security related rather athan support and recovery related?

Thanks in advance for you advise.
Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

Comments

• Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Have you thought about going to school while having all the down time? I myself will be starting school soon because we are not to busy on dayshift. While I have certs to study and a lab at work and at home I would like to start school.

Zero stress is also a great thing.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    vanquish23 wrote: »
    Have you thought about going to school while having all the down time? I myself will be starting school soon because we are not to busy on dayshift. While I have certs to study and a lab at work and at home I would like to start school.

Zero stress is also a great thing.

Zero Stress is great I admit, But in the same respect I feel like am not getting challenged enough. This for me is important. I have thought of doing school (In the UK it would be collage or uni) I have another post on here to see if anyone knows if there is the equivilant to your WGU ( http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/75326-wgu-equivelant-england.html ) As it would be something am interested in. I should have my EA finished by May at latest I hope. I left the British Army in 2008 and have been studying pretty much ever since. Have got quiet a few quals under my belt now and to be fair would not mind been able to put them towards a degree. The only one I have seen so far is from 7Safe. For a Msc in Info Sec which is what I want. I just dont have the spare cash required to do it. It works out at about £14,000 or approx $21941.79. So my thinking is maybe get a better paid job and then start this.
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • Options
    anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you might want to take a look at the open university. you might find something suitable
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    This will probably be the last zero stress IT job you ever have, so enjoy it while it lasts. I would keep the education going, it is too bad they will not cover your coursework. Reading for more than a couple of hours at a time will not be productive, but you could probably put some videos on your phone if permissible to bring your phone or other small device into your work area. Since you have 4 days off, certainly you could work in some contract work. You might specialize in a certain technology and make yourself available a couple of days a week to assist a general IT consultant or small firm.
  • Options
    bud08bud08 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would start to plan your exit, but wait for that baby first. Your current position sounds like a great job for when the stress of a newborn happens. You don't need to add to it by starting a new job. Study, get some certs, and look whats out there but I wouldn't change jobs until you and that baby have a regular schedule going.

Good luck! Congrats on the baby!
  • Options
    bud08 wrote: »
    I would start to plan your exit, but wait for that baby first. Your current position sounds like a great job for when the stress of a newborn happens. You don't need to add to it by starting a new job. Study, get some certs, and look whats out there but I wouldn't change jobs until you and that baby have a regular schedule going.

Good luck! Congrats on the baby!

Thanks dude what I was thinking but just wanted some other peoples views/opinions as looking at something from outside your own view is sometimes hard.

@ anobomski, I have emailed them and asked just waiting for them to get back to me. So fingers crossed.

@ techdudehere, They will only cover coursework thats relevant to a certain level and for the job. As I dont yet work in a IT security enviroment they wont pay for these quals.

My aim was (Pre Baby)
    May 70-647
    Aug Linux +
    Nov CSTA

My Aim Now
    May 70-647 Plus play with Centos and Pyton
    After May Prep for the CSTA course by reading lots of books and Labbing as much As I can.
    Nov CSTA
    Nov 2014/15 OCSP (Its a hard one)

Hopefully once I have done the CSTA I will be able to start doing some none profit work in the Sec/Pen testing arena to gain some experience. Before looking for another job in this area.

• Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you are getting paid a lot of money to barely even work, from your description. Where is the problem?

Edited to add: Are they hiring? I'll gladly take a zero stress job where I'm paid to do nothing on many days so I can study on their dime.

My oh my, the "problems" some people have. Sigh. ;)
  • Options
    It sounds like you are getting paid a lot of money to barely even work, from your description. Where is the problem?

Edited to add: Are they hiring? I'll gladly take a zero stress job where I'm paid to do nothing on many days so I can study on their dime.

My oh my, the "problems" some people have. Sigh. ;)

Dont get me wrong we have days when there is stuff to do and we are like mega busy but its either that or there's nothing. I would prefer a happy medium or to be just busy. Just me I think.

• Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just wait for the new earthling to arrive before making any decisions you might regret. I don't have a baby yet but i know from close friends how everything changes once they arrive, now its all about you but once the baby arrives its all about the baby and you have to adjust the wind and sail from there. Be patient
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    zippie666zippie666 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently facing the same kind of job. I work as a factory support agent. Lots of time to study too, and it's either that busy that you have no time at all or there's really nothing to do for hours, and the pay isn't bad either. It's my first job (for 6 months now) and I suggest you do the same like me: certify as much as possible and study during work hours. I'm MCITP EDST Windows 7 and currently going for both MCITP's for Windows Server 2008. My passion is it security, so after getting those 3 MCITP's I'm probably going to go for CCNA or CEH. Perhaps even Comptia Server+, Network+ or Security+, whatever my employer wants to pay for. After that I'm going to fish for an entry-level security job (although that's very rare).

With the baby on the way I suggest you take the same approach like me (disregard the security stuff though)
    Current cert:
    MCSA: Windows 7, 8 & Server 2008
    EXIN ITIL v3 Foundation
    EXIN ISO 27002 Foundations
    CIW Web Professional