Options

Typical Senior Engineer Position?

reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
Hey all. So, after working in a NOC for almost ten years (military and civilian), I was fortunate enough to find a senior network engineer position on a different government contract. Same networks as befoe, but now I'm on the engineering side of the house with a 20 percent pay increase. While I do like the engineering role because it's much more of a challenge, I find myself asking if this job is really what senior engineers do. For example, I'm assigned projects (major upgrades, recaps, etc.) and am responsible for keeping the project schedule, procurement, and the overall management and direction of the project. However, I do no configuration, no IP space assignment, or any actual tech work because our test lab engineers configure the gear before it ships to site. So I figure in this environment, I'm much more a PM than an engineer.

Question...Is this a typical senior engineer role? I get discouraged sometimes because I've worked hard to get the certs and hands on experience, only to not use any of it. Further, half the time I feel like I'm babysitting our lab engineers when I have to explain to them how VLANs work or how the IP scheme is supposed to be for the various projects.

Comments welcome, lol.
Reloaded~4~Ever

Comments

• Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Are you complaining about skipping a step on the career ladder and breaking into the next one too early? :)

PM is typically considered a "higher up" position, so whether it is a good progress depends on your motivation and overall career goals. If you want to be a manager and advance through the ranks, it's definitely a good move. If you want to become a non-managing technical expert, you may want to get more involved with hands-on - but even then this PM experience should be very valuable in the future.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    No, it sounds like what you're doing is either a sort of management position, or even an architect-level at some shops. Senior engineers will typically still do plenty of configuration.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do a lot of work like you do as the lead engineer, but in addition to that, I am doing a large amount of configuring as well for those projects (infact, I'd say I do the majority, but whatever I can't do, I task out to my other engineers). It does sound like you're doing a lot of project management as opposed to engineering, which sucks. On the bright side, those are some valuable skills to have. My predecessor lost his position because he was a brilliant engineer with no project management skills at all (so every project came in late).