Options

Job/internship dilemma

davidboydavidboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am a junior college MIS student looking for my first career-related internship/job.

I was hired last week as a technical assistant for my school. The pay is decent for student job; higher than work-study programs. They also provided me a macbook for the time i work there.

I was also just informed that i would be hired for a Summer developing (possibly software engineering) internship at a big company for 135% of the pay of my current job.

Would it be acceptable for me to quit my current tech assistant job in 2-3 months (meant to be a permanent position until i graduate) so that i can take on the internship? The internship pays better and is more geared towards what i want to do in my career. I just dont want to leave a bad impression at my current job if i quit so soon since i told them i want to work until i graduate.

I believe the internship would allow me more opportunities for advancement but it only lasts during the Summer.

I really want to eventually be a systems analyst and project manager. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    I'm guessing that there's no way you could potentially do both? Having two incomes while you're in school definitely would not be a bad thing.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    Id be open to doing both but the hours certainly interfere. Both jobs have a M-F schedule and during the Summer, will require 40 hrs/wk.
  • Options
    UniqueAgEnTUniqueAgEnT Member Posts: 102
    David,

I also have had similar experiences while in my undergrad in MIS. I am now in MIS masters program.

First of all, when do you graduate? Following Spring?

Second, are you comfortable with developing? I know in my undergrad MIS degree, there was not a huge emphasis on development / coding unless you learned that yourself. This path will set you up for a career in Software development, engineering, or it could be an experience you try.

Third, do you like your current position?

Your future goals are good but there are many paths to reach there. It is nice that you may have full time offers from either place that you work. If you want to go for the internship, I would ask your supervisor regarding the technical assistant position if you would be able to continue your position after the summer. Some bosses will understand (since it is an internship) but others will not like the idea. Still, it does not hurt to ask.
  • Options
    I do like my current position. I can also see myself doing developing work; but even if I do not end up being a programmer, the skills I obtain would be beneficial in basically any other path I want to go in to. I want to stay open with my options but my ideal job is a business/systems analyst and/or PM.

I can work at my current job until I graduate in May 2013. There is no opportunity for employment after that. With the internship, if all goes well, I may be offered a permanent position upon graduation. I can only intern during the Summer.

I will see with my boss if I can continue after the Summer. Thanks for the response!