CCENT CBT Nuggets study?

intimidatorintimidator Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am studying for my CCENT and I am just about to finish watching the CBT Nuggets video after I am finished watching that. Would that be enough to pass the test or is there something else I should look at?

Comments

• MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am studying for my CCENT and I am just about to finish watching the CBT Nuggets video after I am finished watching that. Would that be enough to pass the test or is there something else I should look at?

Ideally you should also use another source. Chris Bryant's excellent guide or the Dummies CCENT guide. Or erm...Wendell Odom (cringes)
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Although the CBT Nuggets video is a great resource and entertaining to watch, they are not nearly as detailed as you'll need to fully understand the scope of the what is needed for the exam. MrXpert is correct that ideally you'll need another source; I've heard many people use either Todd Lamele's CCNA Guide or Wendell Odom's Official Cert Guide (that's what I used).

Also, you'll probably want to lab to practice your commands and configurations. Packet Tracer and GNS3 are good substitutions if you dont have the bankroll for real equipment. Hope that helps!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□

No.

Pickup a book.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anything is possible.

Having said that, no, that's not enough to pass. You should probably lab and read some of the suggested material for ICND1. Another great tool is Boson's Ex-Sim for ICND1. It will really show you what you don't know or what you need improvements on.

Good luck dude.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    No.

Pickup a book.

+1 on this. You probably won't pass just on this. Pick up a book, read it, understand it and then go take the test. Though, you might very well get lucky and pass by just watching the CBT Nuggets.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    +1 on this. You probably won't pass just on this. Pick up a book, read it, understand it and then go take the test. Though, you might very well get lucky and pass by just watching the CBT Nuggets.

For the cost of the exam, I wouldn't rely on luck. :)
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□

I think it depends on what you know. If you are completely new to all this then I would say get a book like the one by Todd Lammle. You could watch the videos first to get familiar and then go through the book and do a LOT of hands on labbing with Packet Tracer or GNS3. If you can afford to get real equipment then do so. I'm not going to say its totally impossible because I have friends who have only used CBT nuggets and a lot of hands on experience along with the Boson tests and they were successful. Thats just from what i've heard from working around cisco guys for a while but they all say hands on labs is very important. I'm personally going to watch the videos first and do a lot of labbing and then practice with the boson tests and if I feel I'm not doing that good then I will go through the book to work on my weak spots. I work in the IT field and have taken many CCNA classes in the past.
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□

Yes there is plenty else to look at. Unless you already work in the field and know your stuff, then you will definately need books as well if you are going to understand the material enough to pass your CCNA. The CBT nuggets are great for an intro to networking and to get your blood flowing so to speak, but you cannot rely only on them to pass the test.

The first book you should look at is the CCNA study guide by Todd Lammle.

Amazon.com: CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, includes CD-ROM: Exam 640-802 (9780470901076): Todd Lammle: Books

It is a good book for beginners as it is well written and easy to understand. It also has a lot of labs which you can lab up using Packet Tracer.

You should also look at the Cisco Press books by Wendell as they cover everything you will need to know to pass the exam. Todds book is good to begin with but they don't quite cover everything. My advice would be to start with Lammles book to get a good understanding of the material. Then go through the Cisco press books to fill in the gaps.

Amazon.com: CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam 640-802), Third Edition (Containing ICND1 and ICND2 Second Edition Exam Certification Guides) (9781587201837): Wendell Odom: Books

So if i were you, i would be looking at the following additional study materials...

Todd Lammle CCNA study guide
    Wendell Odom Cisco press books (ICND1 & 2) but them as a set (library)
    Packet Tracer
    Chris Bryants utimate CCNA study guide is also pretty good. I used it for my studies. It has a lot of labs to go through.
    CCNA CCNP Cisco Security Certification Exam, CCNA Boot Camp CBT

You will need to master subnetting to pass the CCNA and you will need A LOT of hands-on/lab time.
  • Aman_sainiAman_saini Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□

Go out get something else don't target after the cert only just try other stuff too to get real knowledge.
    icon_study.gif
    CCNA by Todd lammle
    ICND1 & ICND2 by Welldom Odem
  • intimidatorintimidator Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was looking at the lammle and odem books. Would it be better to buy a CCENT specific study book or the CCNA book?
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I purchased Todd Lammle's 7th Edition CCNA book, comes with a CD, and bonus material from Todd. You can use this for the ICND1/ICND2 or for the composite CCNA exam.

Only $28 from here -
    The Latest Books by Todd Lammle | Lammle.com

hth
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was looking at the lammle and odem books. Would it be better to buy a CCENT specific study book or the CCNA book?

With the Odom book, there's one for ICND1 and ICND2 so there's no decision to make there. With Lammle, you have a CCENT book and a full CCNA book. Unless you plan to stop after the CCENT (which would be silly), I would just get the CCNA book since you're going to need it next anyway.
  • BryanJSBryanJS Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    *Starting Caveat* I have a few years hands on experience with Cisco gear and I've taught the ICND1 course at a tech school, and every position I've had has put me in a training type role.

I hate Odom's books as study material. I think they are great references and that's how I use them, but to actually engage, especially for first-timers, I think they are horrible. Because it presents all of the material to such a depth I love referring to it, but because of that you have to know what to discard when studying for the low level certs.

The next thing I would hit is the Glen Clarke CCENT for Dummies book. Dead serious. Once you get through that then I would just hit the packet tracers/routers to get stick time. Save the Odom books for after you've already seen the material for a bit of time. I've seen great success with people who follow that route and it seems to short-circuit many hurdles and brick walls in the study process. Something about practice makes perfect, play chopsticks before Beethoven, and all that jazz.
  • intimidatorintimidator Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BryanJS wrote: »
    *Starting Caveat* I have a few years hands on experience with Cisco gear and I've taught the ICND1 course at a tech school, and every position I've had has put me in a training type role.

I hate Odom's books as study material. I think they are great references and that's how I use them, but to actually engage, especially for first-timers, I think they are horrible. Because it presents all of the material to such a depth I love referring to it, but because of that you have to know what to discard when studying for the low level certs.

The next thing I would hit is the Glen Clarke CCENT for Dummies book. Dead serious. Once you get through that then I would just hit the packet tracers/routers to get stick time. Save the Odom books for after you've already seen the material for a bit of time. I've seen great success with people who follow that route and it seems to short-circuit many hurdles and brick walls in the study process. Something about practice makes perfect, play chopsticks before Beethoven, and all that jazz.

Have you read the Lammle book and if so what do you think of it?
  • PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I prefer Odom's book, mainly because of the practice exams that came with them. CBT Nugget was great for explaining the concepts but lacked the depth, while Odom's book was very comprehensive in its coverage of the CCNA materials so I definitely would say they complemented each other nicely.
  • Ken217aKen217a Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have to agree, I myself watched the video, and even read the ICND1 by Steve McQuerry. Then I picked up the one by Wendell Odom. He covers more. I would also look at Todd Lammle. Get some practice with a lab or simulator as you are going to have to do some on the test. And when you think you have it. Study it again. This is a had test with a high failure rate. I have done some research on the matter. Best of luck!