Options

Seeking advice

mgates67mgates67 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I've been lurking here for about a week, looks like a great source of information.

It looks like I may be on a slightly different path than most on here, I am not in IT per se. First, a little background on me. I have a BS in Telecommunications and Computer Networking. I am an engineer for a manufacturer of VoIP systems, a competitor to Cisco. My goals are to beef up my skills to support my career in VoIP.

Here is my initial plan:
I am currently working on my SSCA, the SIP School Certified Associate (there doesn't seem to be any information about this certification on this site). Following that I am thinking about getting the Network+, Security+, and CCENT/CCNA certifications. The Networking certs seem obvious because you have to deal with that regardless of what protocols you're dealing with. Also, a little bit of security knowledge never hurts.

After that, I'm somewhat stuck on which direction to go. CCNA Voice might sound logical, but that has a strong vendor focus for a competitor and doesn't seem like it will help me much. I'm debating SSCP because information assurance/security is a major concern for the markets I am involved with. I am curious what any of you SMEs out there might think.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Skip Net+. Based on your background, its a waste of money, unless your current job requires it. There was a podcast recently with Todd Lammle. They were all over the place, but 1 of the things mentioned is that CCNP Voice will continue to be 1 of the hottest certs out there for next 5 years or so.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    mgates67mgates67 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info, Dave. Skipping the Net+ makes sense, might as well go right for the CCENT/CCNA. I'll have to do some more research on the CCNP Voice. It's a cert for a competitor that uses a proprietary protocol. Certainly won't hurt the resume, though.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Good advice. Remember, CompTIA is mostly foundation/entry level material.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???