Options

Homeless hotspots

Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
Homeless Hotspots

Is this just me or is this just so wrong?

Can you imagine, you walking up to some homeless guy with your iPad - "Hey man I need WiFi, man you probably haven't seen one of these have you? It's the new iPad 3... What's that? you've no home to go to? STFU and give me my WiFi man!"

Not that any of you would do anything like that! I'm just kidding... just a really really bad idea

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Seems a lot of people don't like the idea, but I'm on the other side and think it's great. Couldn't tell you the number of homeless people I pass (some I truly question whether they are homeless) that ask for money. So if this provides a way for them to earn some cash as well as provide a service what's the harm?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree!!!!! It could be a way for homeless people to get back into work.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wow that is truly amazing and a great idea. It would for sure be a great job for a homeless person to have
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree!!!!! It could be a way for homeless people to get back into work.
    Yeah me too. That was my initial thought too. I do wonder about the economics though and if its sustainable or really offers someone that is homeless as a stepping stone. Its similar to the newspaper companies that provide free newspapers for homeless to sell. I hope it works.
  • Options
    I also looked at it from this point of view, at least they can feel they've earned an honest days pay. Now I've never been homeless, but I like to think that if I were in that situation I'd like to at least earn something instead of begging for it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    I don't give money to homeless people... I've heard stories of "homeless" people earning huge money and I think it's a huge disservice to them anyway, like my own mother giving me money for food - I'm a grown adult I need to find my own way in the world, there are other places which can get you back on your feet.

But you can guarantee these guys offering WiFi aren't even getting minimum wage, they are slaves for the "charity", why wouldn't you use a lamp post for this kind of service? Homeless people find themselves that way for many reasons but I thought I would share this... someone who went and educated himself out of the problem (Susan Boyle has got nothing on this guy, she was a singer before she became famous)
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would just give a donation and move along, has that "History of the World Mel Brooks" "Oh Pi$$ boy" feel to it. I know it's not exactly like that but just has a "person reduced to an object" rather than a "person looking for a step up".
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I don't give money to homeless people... I've heard stories of "homeless" people earning huge money and I think it's a huge disservice to them anyway, like my own mother giving me money for food - I'm a grown adult I need to find my own way in the world, there are other places which can get you back on your feet.

But you can guarantee these guys offering WiFi aren't even getting minimum wage, they are slaves for the "charity", why wouldn't you use a lamp post for this kind of service? Homeless people find themselves that way for many reasons but I thought I would share this... someone who went and educated himself out of the problem (Susan Boyle has got nothing on this guy, she was a singer before she became famous)

Most homeless people "before" are mentally ill people. Cuts in government services has shown on the news mentally ill people more than ever are dumped on the streets.

Now I said "before" because the past few years the rise of tent cities of former working poor and middle class people who lose everything due to the economy are forming all around the country.

I think once you end up homeless the abilty to get back up becomes pretty difficult, not hopeless but difficult. Especially now when you have less jobs than people.
  • Options
    I think the idea was that the homeless would go where the greatest number of people were, thus providing service where it is needed.
    Asif Dasl wrote: »

WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Yeah I guess, my idea of homelessness is probably a little different to a US idea of homelessness... we wouldn't have anything like tent cities... most of the homeless people I see in Ireland are alcoholics or drug takers but I'm sure there are mentally ill people too - there is a lot less of them than in the US from my experience. I dunno I guess I'd feel icky using a service like that waving an iPad around under the poor guys nose...