Cisco firewall - i want one!

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Good morning all.

I've been studying for the ICND1 and 2 - should be taking ICND1 within the next couple of weeks, then the ICND2 within a month or so. I've been looking at ASA's and other firewalls, I'd like to gain more knowledge on getting these up and running one on my home (lab) network. I was looking at getting an ASA, just not sure which one to get to run my home network. I'd also prefer a rack mount ASA since I have 2 20u racks at home.

I know the difference between the PIX and ASA - obviously the ASA is does a lot more advanced filtering and secures your network against worms and such.

After researching around, it looks like my best option is to get an ASA 5505 and probably find a shelf for a rack mount option - cablesandkits.com have an excellent option to rack mount an ASA.

I suppose in a way I've already answered my own question, but what's the best way to learn an all the configurations on an ASA?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    I'm guessing the best way to learn about the ASA would be through the security track CCNA: Security, and CCNP Security. Afaik CCNA Security only uses SDM to configure the firewall, CCNP goes more into the nitty gritty CLI configuring.

I was interested in the security track myself, but I probably won't touch it until after september of this year. They're redoing all the security track courses from CCNA Security to CCIE Security. CCNA Security will have more firewall stuff then, so I think there's not much point starting on the security track atm as if you do an exam, you'll have to relearn stuff come september anyway.

I think the material for the new exams is coming out in june or so.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hopefully they have good books coming out this time around. From what I understand that was the biggest complaint about that track.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I saw the updates. I'm definitely going to wait until some literature comes out about the 554 exam. Though, I was thinking of going from ICND2 straight to CCNP and then go back through the security/voice track. We'll see though.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S