'Personal Cloud' to replace PC by 2014, says Gartner

13»

Comments

• mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Remind me to bump this thread in a year's time. It'd be interesting to see how everyone's predictions will be panning out.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Remind me to bump this thread in a year's time. It'd be interesting to see how everyone's predictions will be panning out.

Good call. I agree that would be interesting to see what all has changed.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555

Five year's time would be more appropriate. There will be no significant changes for at least three years as CPUs will be more along the lines of SOC (System On a Chip) and will have incorporated broadband modems and on-board WiFi and such by then. When that happens, stuff like "The Cloud" will be far more relevant as people will be plugged in (or have the capability to be plugged in) to a far greater degree.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Five year's time would be more appropriate. There will be no significant changes for at least three years as CPUs will be more along the lines of SOC (System On a Chip) and will have incorporated broadband modems and on-board WiFi and such by then. When that happens, stuff like "The Cloud" will be far more relevant as people will be plugged in (or have the capability to be plugged in) to a far greater degree.
    True enough but the thread is discussing 2014; the half way mark between now and then will be much more relevant. In 5 years time, we will have moved on to the next concept in the cycle.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    True enough but the thread is discussing 2014; the half way mark between now and then will be much more relevant. In 5 years time, we will have moved on to the next concept in the cycle.

Yes, but keep in mind that some of the topics that are being discussed are off the main topic of a personal cloud. So while teh article goes off on similar tangents, it is really talking about consumers more than Enterprises.
    The increasing use of smartphones and tablets for personal computing tasks is leading users to put a "personal cloud" at the centre of their digital lives, according to Gartner Inc. Where once they would have centralised their data on a PC, probably by synchronising with Microsoft Outlook, they will increasingly synchronise their data using cloud-based services.

So even though the article says "replace the PC" it's not about deleting every instance of a PC with a hard drive from the face of the planet, it's about a new way of storing our data so that we can access it on our phone, tablet, or work computer.
    "Many call this era the post-PC era, but it isn't really about being 'after' the PC, but rather about a new style of personal computing that frees individuals to use computing in fundamentally new ways to improve multiple aspects of their work and personal lives."
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    T&Cs like that makes me NOT using any third party for my backups

34imucw.gif

Google Terms of Service ? Policies & Principles
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I remember when PDAs became somewhat popular. The home user would use the desktop as the server to sync with and rely on it for content updates. In the Enterprise your email server was the link. Eventually PDAs died and later the smartphone became mainstream. Eventually it reached the point you did not need the desktop to sync with since you moved it all online like I did with all my Google stuff like email, calendar, contacts etc.