Options

Help Desk interview

drinkingwaterdrinkingwater Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, what can I expect at a help desk interview? How long are the interviews? I have 2 interviews lined up this week and since this is my first IT gig I'm really nervous. Any input would be great!

Comments

• Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    know the basics.. DNS, DHCP, little windows server if the post states.. shouldnt be to intense. Just Relax.. Managers like to see that.. talk about some of the things you hope to accomplish/goals
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Be prepared for questions like, "A user calls the help desk complaining that he/she can't connect to the internet, what would you do?" Remember help desk is the "1st line of defense," meaning your the face of IT from the users perspective. Like Matt said, relax. If you are asked a question and your mind goes blank, take your time and collect your thoughts, then answer. A few seconds of awkward silence before a correct answer is better than making something up. If it is something you are sure you don't know the answer to, say you don't know. Don't try to BS the interviewer because 99% of the time he/she will know you're blowing smoke up their behind. I would rather hire someone that is honest than someone who will just spew random garbage out. It says a lot about your character. Show that you are eager/willing to learn new things.

Best of luck, be yourself and you will be fine! icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Look for the "describe a difficult situation" questions
    Know the basics of troubleshooting networks: using Ping, tracert, pathping.
    Look for the weird questions you may be asked. My director asked me who would win if Batman and Superman got in a fight?
    Research the company. Be able to list some stats about them.
    Most of my interviews were less than 30 minutes.
  • Options
    drinkingwaterdrinkingwater Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the heads up fellas. What if they ask me a question like a user's pc has been down for 3 days .. what would be the first thing you do to assist the angry irate customer?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the heads up fellas. What if they ask me a question like a user's pc has been down for 3 days .. what would be the first thing you do to assist the angry irate customer?

1. Let them vent, provided they don't become verbally abusive towards you.
    2. Apologize for the inconvenience they are experiencing.
    3. Offer to find out why it's taking so long, tell them a time you will call them back - and call them back in that time, even if you don't have any more information.