Options

LinkedIn is a Hacker's Dream Tool

erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    I've been recently thinking that I should disable my account or limit the information I share...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've run across the occasional profile on there where they disclose far too much information about what they are involved with at current and/or prior employers, always caught me off-guard especially considering it's not uncommon for you to have co-workers linked to you who can see all that. I shouldn't be too surprised though, I can't begin to count how often I've stumbled upon people posting unscrubbed Cisco or Juniper config's on various forums or newsgroups...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good article. Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    What I may want to do is stop accepting recruiters' requests for connections and perhaps remove some of them from my profile.

I do not have anything confidential in my resume or linkedin profile. It is public, and I suspect that at least one of my bosses' has looked at it (I've looked at theirs....) There isn't anything in my profile that I wouldn't want them to see and I'm not even trying to look for another job. In fact yesterday some recruiter contacted me via one of his precious inMails to tell me about a position in Brooklyn. What was interesting is that he told me where and what it was but they hadn't posted the position publicly. (While I find recruiters to be the scum of the earth, I won't go over their head if they point me to a position first. BUT...I will do my own background checking to make sure the position is legit.)

What might make sense to me though is that these "hackers" might be those ridiculously hot chicks posing as tech recruiters. I always look at their profiles, but I have yet to connect with any of those.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    snip...

What might make sense to me though is that these "hackers" might be those ridiculously hot chicks posing as tech recruiters. I always look at their profiles, but I have yet to connect with any of those.

LOL! I guess I'm not the only one to find that funny. In my case though, the ones that have contacted me have all been legit.
  • Options
    LOL! I guess I'm not the only one to find that funny. In my case though, the ones that have contacted me have all been legit.

Recruiters in general or the hot chicks who are recruiters?

If it's the latter, how do you know they're legit? I'm not saying all of them are not legit, btw, BUT some of those pics do raise some eyebrows.....
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□

If it's the latter, how do you know they're legit? I'm not saying all of them are not legit, btw, BUT some of those pics do raise some eyebrows.....

I have met a couple for informal interviews and i think they get into the recruiting field because they might have used to worked as a Realtor or something. I have met some that know the words but I don't think they have the technical experience. But in recruiting its the people skills and being able to sell the IT guy to a client is what matters most.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

In my case they are companies very near where I work, or have somehow been connected with. I've at some point received a message from them or know them through so-and-so.
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I have met a couple for informal interviews and i think they get into the recruiting field because they might have used to worked as a Realtor or something. I have met some that know the words but I don't think they have the technical experience. But in recruiting its the people skills and being able to sell the IT guy to a client is what matters most.

I think I'm getting lost in translation and I do apologize.

There are women who are very attractive on LinkedIn, but they are at least very professional looking. The "hot" women I'm talking about look like they belong on a Maxim cover/ad. Their profile pics are usually a pic of them taken at a nightclub/party. They then wear the lowest of low cut blouses. I've even seen one where she's doing the "duck face." Oh, and their profile is like maybe a couple of sentences long; not detailed enough.

I think you guys are just talking about the normally attractive women with a detailed profile and I have a few of those connected as well. But I was talking about "ridiculously hot..." to the point where one wonders if the profile is legit.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wasn't there an experiment where somebody created a bogus IT profile for a young attractive "female" claiming to be a Navy IT security analyst. This profile was able to get all kinds of DOD personnel and contractors to give up information they should have not.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod

Funny story, a new girl started with my company last week. I mentioned her face looked extremely familiar but I just couldn't remember where I knew her from. She said the same about me. It turned out she was one of my LinkedIn hot recruiters and we communicated a few times before regarding open positions at her previous company. Small world.
  • Options
    Last recruiting agency I walked into had 5-6 hot women working there. Even those older account manager was still stunning. I think they hire on looks because it makes you want to go back there. I remember this young 20 years old coming out and I was speechless she was so hot. I couldn't believe it. Actually we became friends and calls me sometimes to check on my status (work related LMAO), not that you needed me to tell you that ;). Within 3 years she is already has the title senior account manager. Those looks have to have something to do with it.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    And here I have been brainwashed to accept that hot recruiters are just a figment of my imagination.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    And here I have been brainwashed to accept that hot recruiters are just a figment of my imagination.

Certain agencies seem to make a practice of this. Some are all women, some are all hot women or nearly. It's a marketing strategy to land younger talent. At least that's my assumption.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 252 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't place too much sensitive information on LinkedIn and yes there are some nice looking woman who recruit. However, there are allot of recruiters who don't understand the technical side of things and I have seen some fake recruiters too.