Options

Does this look like a solid career plan?

TechnikalTechnikal Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm going to go to a local community college for my associate degree in computer science this autumn (currently labeled information technology until later this year, when i'll be starting), it has a focus in networking administration, after I complete this, I plan on either transferring to a university and getting a bachelors degree in either computer science or information technology (with a focus in networking) at a real school or online (western governor university looks like a legit online school), I will also obtain some certifications such as CCENT or CCNA, A+, N+, and maybe S+? now i know this will only set me up for a help desk/desktop support role but that's to be expected (i think?), once I get a few years experience I will then try to move up in the IT "ranks".

also does anyone think I could get an entry level job after i get my associates? or maybe that degree + some basic certs? that way i would have a couple years experience, a degree, and certs when im done with school.

Comments

• Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Technikal wrote: »
    I'm going to go to a local community college for my associate degree in computer science this autumn (currently labeled information technology until later this year, when i'll be starting), it has a focus in networking administration, after I complete this, I plan on either transferring to a university and getting a bachelors degree in either computer science or information technology (with a focus in networking) at a real school or online (western governor university looks like a legit online school), I will also obtain some certifications such as CCENT or CCNA, A+, N+, and maybe S+? now i know this will only set me up for a help desk/desktop support role but that's to be expected (i think?), once I get a few years experience I will then try to move up in the IT "ranks".

also does anyone think I could get an entry level job after i get my associates? or maybe that degree + some basic certs? that way i would have a couple years experience, a degree, and certs when im done with school.

Once you finish your A+ and start working towards another you could land an entry level help desk/desktop support job. I myself used to prefer hiring people right after they finished their A+ since I knew their knowledge was still fresh. My situation was a little different since I went to college first at 16 and left at 17 because I was already burned out. My GPA went like this the first 4 semesters....3.8, 3.9, 3.9, 0.8. After that 0.8, my school said....umm...maybe you should take a step back. Oh...by the way, we are revoking you scholarship. Bye.

I had been using computers since the early 80s when I was 5 years old an building my own for at least 10 years. I just happened to luck out and find a small business willing to bring me on board. You might also want to consider going to school part-time (one to two classes a semester) and working full-time. I still have to finish my degree and have just started into the world of certs. Never needed them until now. Here's hoping we both do well.