Options

Dell buys sonicwall

it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
Does this affect anyone here?

Dell to Pay $1.2 Billion for IT-Security Firm SonicWall - WSJ.com

I have always disliked sonicwall, and I am no fan of Dell either. A match made in heaven for me.

Comments

• Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□

I have always disliked sonicwall, and I am no fan of Dell either. A match made in heaven for me.

Garbage begets garbage. I had high hopes for SonicWall when I first started working with them years ago as I didn't know much about networking and I had heard they were fairly simple to work with.

Sure they are...as long as you don't have to configure anything other than base settings. Just the fact that they have their own terminology in the GUI which is counter-intuitive to anything every other network company provides blew my mind. Used the Firewall for about 6 months at work. Got fed up and bought an old Cisco PIX on Ebay out of my own pocket. I didn't even ask for my expenses to be paid for.

Sonicwall....BLECH!!
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Dell has really been branching out into providing services. I remember when they bought out Perot systems to get their foot in the door in the government contracting area.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    They are really after the entire SMB market with this purchase. When you go set up a network they want to sell you everything from the firewall back, including dell branded aruba wireless access points. Since it is so easy to purchase through the dell website, they will probably be successful. Compared to dell, shopping for HP and Cisco is like trying to kill an antelope with a spoon. It can be done, but its messy and annoying.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

LOL Hiliarous!
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    well i do alot of smaller networks (50 clients) for contract work and this will make my life easier

most often i order dell workstations/servers/routers but ive always had to go else were for firewalls now i wont have to

ive tried the whole get the best price from alot of different vendors route, sure i do save a few hundred on parts but having a single point of contact for them to call when hardware breaks makes life alot easier
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□

As a Sonicwall partner we got that email yesterday, no one here was very happy either. Although the most amusing aspect was the followup email we got from a Watchguard rep not 20 minutes after the announcement. In my personal opinion i'd much prefer we go with Cisco for our firewall needs but as it_consultant mentions, we deal with the SMB, most of them would rather spend as little as possible.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 252 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We have several Sonicwall firewall's or SSL-R appliances at some of our SMB clients but, as Cisco partners we try to swap out for ASA 5500 series devices. I think Sonicwall is past it's time and should be brought out by Dell to improve it's name. This will help me get more Cisco gear for cheap lol since Dell/HP will lower their prices to compete.
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    At least Dell has moved all of their Enterprise Support back to the US and you don't have to deal with someone with a language barrier.

Unlike other US companies Dell has learned their lesson and brought jobs back to the US.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmm I actually do not know how I feel about this

I know that SonicWALL has an iffy reputation and as far as my experiences with them the most I've used them for was for their email security filter, only one bad experience with that was with an update they released and for some reason it would shut down email for our clients or send belated emails that were a couple weeks old...the only way to fix it was to reboot the server it was hosted on...obviously they were not happy with this product but we fought long and hard with their "tech support" and no matter how many "beta" fixes they had it would not give us the solution we were looking for. We went to Postini filter after this battle

I actually like the stride Dell has been making on the flipside, its smart of them to consider themselves more than a PC company
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 252 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Krunchi wrote: »
    At least Dell has moved all of their Enterprise Support back to the US and you don't have to deal with someone with a language barrier.

Unlike other US companies Dell has learned their lesson and brought jobs back to the US.

I know of two guys who were hired to do remote work from home (i.e. US) with Dell and they received nice salaries too.