Options

Resume Help

XenoSonicXenoSonic Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can you guys give a recommendation for my resume on how to make it look nicer. I took out my contact information as well as the company name that I currently work for on this forum because don't want people to start prank calling. I'm looking for another job because I feel like I'm not learning anything new and not being challenge to enough and I do not get the chance to implement the knowledge i gain from my bachelor degree as well as the certification.

P.S got several call from different company but when they ask me how many year of experience I have and I told them less than a year in computer; however, I have been working on computer since window 95 doing home networking and fixing computer for friends and family, some of the company never call back and other call back offering between 9-12 dollar an hours. At that pay rate I can not survive because got: apartment, car, credit card and recent tuition loan.

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Try re-posting as a Word or PDF document. Just from looking at the thumbnails I can already tell you're a little over half a page too long.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could start by getting rid of the tables (this is just a personal suggestion, I've recently reformatted my resume using tab stops only and found it to be much nicer looking).

Your first project should be to clean up your grammar, use full sentences, and watch your tenses. Almost every one of your bullet points has a grammatical error.

Include a summary (but not an objective).

Condense the "Skill/Level" section. Please don't leave that as-is.

Be specific. So you used various programs to write project outlines... but what programs? What types of projects? You implemented a new ticketing system--what system? How much did it increase ticketing efficiency? How many and what type of workstations have you supported at each job? To my eye, the biggest problem with your resume--aside from the grammar issues--is that it's not nearly specific enough about what type of work you've been doing.
  • Options
    XenoSonicXenoSonic Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The table is just a doted outline, it won't show up once it's been converted to pdf or been printed on paper. My grammar is not the greatest, I'll be asking a friend to fix that for me and I'll rework the resume to go into more specific detail.
    Thanks Boredgamelad for the input.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    You could start by getting rid of the tables (this is just a personal suggestion, I've recently reformatted my resume using tab stops only and found it to be much nicer looking).

What are you smoking? Using tabs and spaces to align text looks awful compared to tables. Tables are being used too much and not correctly here though. Too much empty white space.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unless the tables are only visible because you uploaded them as images, just hide the table in word, or whatever word processing program you use. The first thing I would do is remove the dates on your degree and certs, when you list something with a somewhat current date, that to me, looks as if you just started working with it.

I would also condense the technologies that you know, instead of having a line for Windows 2003 and one for 2008, just make one line of Windows 2003/2008. Oh, I would definitely remove the "Beginner" and "Intermediate" from the skill section.

Also, you are using the present tense in some areas that are obviously past tense, say supervised for past jobs, not supervise. People's opinions will differ, but I say don't condense your resume into 1 page, I would actually go in depth about some past job experience...don't write a novel, but at least go into some more detail. I will comment more when I have more time.

• Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    What are you smoking? Using tabs and spaces to align text looks awful compared to tables. Tables are being used too much and not correctly here though. Too much empty white space.

Tabs and spaces? Nobody said anything about tabs and spaces. I'm talking about left- and right-align tab stops, which can accomplish everything people tend to use tables for.