Options

Where should I look to improve? Failed 640-822 (ICND1) today with a 775.

dc5chris209dc5chris209 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey All,

So I took my ICND1 today and I got a 775 (805 Required to pass) I got a break down of what I missed. Can someone point me into the right direction on improving myself on these areas. I own both ICND1 books by Wendell Odom and Todd Lemelle as well as the CBTNuggets videos.

Ideally I would like to retake my test no later than April 15th. I do have at home a full lab setup with 4 cisco 1721 routers and 4 2950 switches. I am only missing 2 serial interface cards.

Here is my breakdown:

Describe the operation of data networks 71%
Implement a small switched network 60%
Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements for a small branch office 80%
Implement a small routed network 67%
Explain and select the appropriate tasks required for a WLAN 100%
Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate those threats 50%
Implement and verify WAN links 50%

Thanks all!icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    Looks like you only needed a couple more questions to pass, which is unfortunate. It's kind of hard, even witht he % on each topic to know what we should be recommending you, because it doesn't tell you how many questions you received in each. From the looks of it, you just need to polish over everything once or twice more.

Do you have Bosons tests? They would be ideal for this kind of polish-up, but they are expensive at $99.

If you hit the books, especially odoms which has alot of details, then you should be able to pass easily within a week.

What I would concentrate most on would be implement both routed and switched networks and your wan links while keeping polished up on your subnetting.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    buy a boson exam.

do a study session, and go at it like the real deal. they grade and break down questions in the like format to help you zone on issues.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I failed ICND1 the first time I took it and posted scores pretty similar to yours. The Boson practice exam was a serious boon to my studies and like the others in this thread I recommend you give it a look.
  • Options
    dc5chris209dc5chris209 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think I have the Boson exam sim, it came with my Wendell Odom book. Are those the ones you are referencing to? Or are there additional tests you can get?
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    buy a boson exam.

do a study session, and go at it like the real deal. they grade and break down questions in the like format to help you zone on issues.

+1. Boson Exam Sim is really good at identifying your weak areas. Once you know what you need to study, grind it out and get it done! You can do this!!!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think I have the Boson exam sim, it came with my Wendell Odom book. Are those the ones you are referencing to? Or are there additional tests you can get?

I bought the ICND2 exam. You get a set of 3 exams of their questions. Kinda like playing cards. You buy a set of 3 boxes of cards. Within the exam sim, you can mix the card boxes to make it all Black spades, or Red Diamonds - all question of one type, sims, etc. Or you can separate the boxes within a whim, and just use a single box of cards of all colors and types.

I don't know how the ICND1 is setup, but im sure it's similar.

Keep in mind, Boson isn't a brain ****. Going into the exam room with answers memorized is not going to help you at all.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I bought the ICND2 exam. You get a set of 3 exams of their questions. Kinda like playing cards. You buy a set of 3 boxes of cards. Within the exam sim, you can mix the card boxes to make it all Black spades, or Red Diamonds - all question of one type, sims, etc. Or you can separate the boxes within a whim, and just use a single box of cards of all colors and types.

I don't know how the ICND1 is setup, but im sure it's similar.

Keep in mind, Boson isn't a brain ****. Going into the exam room with answers memorized is not going to help you at all.

I was listening to one of the packet pushers podcasts with Todd Lammle. He said basically that cisco makes so much cash off CCNA etc now, that the questions are changed every few days, so it's nearly impossible to brain **** the answers.
  • Options
    PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you attempt the practice exams that came Odom's CCENT book? Those questions definitely test whether you really know a topic or not.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looking at your scores, it does appear to me that your main weak area is configuring switches and routers. I appreciate you have a home lab set up but I think you could also try packet tracer. Packer tracer has many advantages over a home lab for the CCENT and ICND2.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd focus on these two:
    Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate those threats 50%
    Implement and verify WAN links 50%
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs