Options

Applying out of state

tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
I live in Ohio now and want to move out of state, to some place like South Carolina. How do people get jobs out of state, though? There's no way I could afford to fly or drive out of state anytime I get a call for an interview. I'm also not that advanced into my IT career yet, so I wouldn't be applying for any high end jobs where the employer pays for me to come out. The only thing that seems possible to me is saving up enough money, moving to location, then start applying for jobs. Obviously that can't be the best way (right?) because it has so much risk associated with it. Anyone who's been in my shoes care to enlighten as to how I should go about doing this? =/

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd start applying and let them know your situation. See if you can line a few interviews up within a few days so you can take a short trip. That will save you the expense and risk of just moving and finding something when you get there. Not having advanced skills is going to make it more difficult for sure, but from my experience there are companies willing to work with you if you are a good fit.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just start applying and advise prospective employers that you are planning to move. Most companies these days will conduct first round interviews on the phone or via Skype. So you may not even to travel until you make it to the second or third round or interviews.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    From my experience most companies prefer in-person interviews and they usually have more than 1 interview, so that could mean multiple trips. I have been in this situation twice. The first time..I was getting interviews left and right but they all wanted in-person interviews..so I took a gamble and just moved to cityA. It took me about 1.5 months to get a job and I was almost down to zero in my bank account (one of the worst times in my life). The second time..I actually had some money saved up and I went to cityB for 3 interviews. All three offered me the job after the 1st interview.

So it really comes down to how bad you want to move I guess.
  • Options
    From my experience most companies prefer in-person interviews and they usually have more than 1 interview, so that could mean multiple trips. I have been in this situation twice. The first time..I was getting interviews left and right but they all wanted in-person interviews..so I took a gamble and just moved to cityA. It took me about 1.5 months to get a job and I was almost down to zero in my bank account (one of the worst times in my life). The second time..I actually had some money saved up and I went to cityB for 3 interviews. All three offered me the job after the 1st interview.

So it really comes down to how bad you want to move I guess.

Hmm that doesn't sound so bad as long as I'd have enough money saved. It just really makes me nervous to apply for the jobs without being down there. If you had to do it all over again, what would you have done different?

My fiancé would be moving with me and also getting a job, so I really don't think we'd end up running completely out of money, ya know. I could fix PCs on the side temporarily, and I'd already have the area scoped out etc, taking all the obvious precautions.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been in your shoes. I'm still in your shoes, Yuck. So I have some knowledge in this:

1. Don't move unless you have a job
    2. Tell them your situation but also tell them you have funds to get yourself going so it doesn't affect your work performance or time at work. Believe me, you'll be a busy sob when you move.
    3. Offer to setup a webcam interview, so they can atleast see you - you can see them. While it may not be face to face, if the person you're being interviewed with is willing to work with you - it's a great start.

Before you do any type of relocation - Here's a few things I've learned:
    1000 dollars in savings isn't enough. Deposits for utility/rent/etc eat that right up. Save up 2000 - 3000.
    Get with a bank asap.
    Don't scout out a PO Box from the Post office. You can't get crap there. Get with a UPS store for a PMB number. You can receive any package there. It costs more, but if you have to rely on your car and wits alone. It's great.

My fiance hates when I say this: but given my current circumstances: Plan for the worst. Don't keep your eggs in one basket. It saved us a few times :)

For me that means: Plan for Loosing my job. Plan for emergencies. Make as many plans as possible, because if Sh*t happens hopefully you have a plan - if not, you've planned for something that you can use your wits to get yourself out of the fan.

Bottom line: If you want to move. Pickup and go. If you want to make it work badly enough, you'll make it work. Take the chance as others can only say "They wish they could".
    Expect to discover more about yourself by doing this than have life give everything to you. I'd like to say I'm a better man, but honestly - life sucks. Don't think I'm romancing this situation.

Come to think of it. I like not having thousands of dollars in debt. woot.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The other thing to consider on moving with a low budget.

1. Have a relocation offer in mind when the recruiter/interviewer ask for your level compensation.

Personally I used to ask for all relocation/moving costs to be covered for me and my family up front (Not expensed and paid back). This includes all travel costs, flights for interviews and all meals if you are driving cross-country. Most companies will just load up a pre-paid Visa for such a purpose as long as you keep all receipts.

I also used to ask for 3-6 month of temporary housing. It can be either a corporate apartment, and extended stay hotel, or a furnished rental with a short lease. This will allow you to bank everything for the few months so you have all your deposits by the time you are ready to lease or buy.

I followed this plan 3 times over the past 6 years and every time it leads to an offer. Takes a little longer to negotiate but worth it.
  • Options
    cknapp78 wrote: »
    The other thing to consider on moving with a low budget.

1. Have a relocation offer in mind when the recruiter/interviewer ask for your level compensation.

Personally I used to ask for all relocation/moving costs to be covered for me and my family up front (Not expensed and paid back). This includes all travel costs, flights for interviews and all meals if you are driving cross-country. Most companies will just load up a pre-paid Visa for such a purpose as long as you keep all receipts.

I also used to ask for 3-6 month of temporary housing. It can be either a corporate apartment, and extended stay hotel, or a furnished rental with a short lease. This will allow you to bank everything for the few months so you have all your deposits by the time you are ready to lease or buy.

I followed this plan 3 times over the past 6 years and every time it leads to an offer. Takes a little longer to negotiate but worth it.

Im not applying for any advance IT jobs though. I'm sure there will be tons of locals applying for the same job as me. The employer will just hire them because it's cheaper and less of a headache to do so. I see what you mean and all, but I don't think that will work in my case. As of now I'm leaning towards just saving enough money to sustain myself without a job for a bit, move down there, then go for the interviews. I can start applying before I move, make money on the sides from pc repair, and I think I'd do fine.
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'd be surprised how many low-mid level jobs for relocation are out there. The key is to look in places where IT is in demand but the supply of workers is very small.
  • Options
    tr1x wrote: »
    Hmm that doesn't sound so bad as long as I'd have enough money saved. It just really makes me nervous to apply for the jobs without being down there. If you had to do it all over again, what would you have done different?

My fiancé would be moving with me and also getting a job, so I really don't think we'd end up running completely out of money, ya know. I could fix PCs on the side temporarily, and I'd already have the area scoped out etc, taking all the obvious precautions.

If I could do it all over again, I would of saved more money and thought about the move more before I actually went through with the plan. The story..I met a girl..blah blah blah.. decided to move 3300 miles to be with her, not to mention I only had 300 dollars when the journey began. So after gas and food for the 4 day journey, I was down to 100? Luckily my old company overpaid me a full paycheck after 3 weeks of being in the new city. It was the most stressful month of my life. If you have enough money saved up, move..you only live once!
  • Options
    If I could do it all over again, I would of saved more money and thought about the move more before I actually went through with the plan. The story..I met a girl..blah blah blah.. decided to move 3300 miles to be with her, not to mention I only had 300 dollars when the journey began. So after gas and food for the 4 day journey, I was down to 100? Luckily my old company overpaid me a full paycheck after 3 weeks of being in the new city. It was the most stressful month of my life. If you have enough money saved up, move..you only live once!

Thanks man, that makes me feel better about it. I'll have a few thousand saved and like I said, do repair on the side, have the fiance get a job, and start applying before I actually make the move. I think I'll be set. Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Good luck. If you decide to make the move, definitely let us know about the journey.