Options

Beginner needs help here! :( Regarding Host

mindzfreakmindzfreak Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey fellows out there, i really need ya guys help over here..im really confuse and lost icon_sad.gif i totally don't understand what is host or how to calculate host.. lets say, assuming i have a diagram of 4 routers. (router1 , router2 , router3, HQ)

Router1 has 56 host.
Router2 has 43 host.
Router3 has 29 host.
HQ has 3 host.

and the network for the diagram is 10.0.1.0 /16.

so its 10.0.1.0 (255.255.0.0)

How do i start off? im seriously lost because every one of the router has a host. so how do i do so ?

Comments

• Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    I am not really sure what you are asking but a 255.255.0.0 net mask give you 65,534 host. You use the formula (2^n) - 2 where "n" is the number of host bits. The host bits are the "0" and the network bts are the "1".
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's a few threads in here about Subnetting Made Easy. I highly recommend you read that. Also, you might want to get yourself a CCENT book to help with your learning.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    A host is any end user device, such as a PC, Laptop, server, printer etc.

Router1 has 56 hosts means that router 1 has 56 pieces of end user equipment attached to it, each needing it's own IP address in the LAN.

So basically the question is asking you to split your network (10.0.1.0 /16) so that each subnets have enough space (ip addresses) for all their hosts. You start with the largest, so first piece will need 56 hosts, 2nd 43 hosts, 4rd 29 hosts and 4th 3 hosts.

A subnet can only be split up into these segments, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256. So you chose which segment encompasses your needed host range, without wasting too many Ip addresses.

So the first subnet which needs 56 hosts, you would use 64 etc. Hope this gets you started.
  • Options
    EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    mindzfreak wrote: »
    Hey fellows out there, i really need ya guys help over here..im really confuse and lost icon_sad.gif i totally don't understand what is host or how to calculate host.. lets say, assuming i have a diagram of 4 routers. (router1 , router2 , router3, HQ)

Router1 has 56 host.
    Router2 has 43 host.
    Router3 has 29 host.
    HQ has 3 host.

and the network for the diagram is 10.0.1.0 /16.

so its 10.0.1.0 (255.255.0.0)

How do i start off? im seriously lost because every one of the router has a host. so how do i do so ?

It's all good asking for a bit of help but it seems as if you haven't the slightest clue... you need to learn the basics, and you need to learn how to subnet.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Eildor wrote: »
    It's all good asking for a bit of help but it seems as if you haven't the slightest clue... you need to learn the basics, and you need to learn how to subnet.

Indeed. You've got to learn how to crawl before you can run.

I suggest you view this thread; http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html

This will help you learn subnetting.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    mindzfreakmindzfreak Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    xbuzz wrote: »
    A host is any end user device, such as a PC, Laptop, server, printer etc.

Router1 has 56 hosts means that router 1 has 56 pieces of end user equipment attached to it, each needing it's own IP address in the LAN.

So basically the question is asking you to split your network (10.0.1.0 /16) so that each subnets have enough space (ip addresses) for all their hosts. You start with the largest, so first piece will need 56 hosts, 2nd 43 hosts, 4rd 29 hosts and 4th 3 hosts.

A subnet can only be split up into these segments, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256. So you chose which segment encompasses your needed host range, without wasting too many Ip addresses.

So the first subnet which needs 56 hosts, you would use 64 etc. Hope this gets you started.

Thanks my friend. i roughly get what u meant.. so if 56 hosts, i'd use 64. if 43 hosts, i'll use 64 also. if 29 hosts, i'll use 32.. am i correct?
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After reading that....here's some videos to help -

Cisco CCNA - YouTube
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is a possible subnetting scheme that works:
    Router 1 - 10.0.1.0 /26
    Router 2 - 10.0.1.64 /26
    Router 3 - 10.0.1.128 /27
    HQ       - 10.0.1.160 /29

Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    mindzfreak wrote: »
    Thanks my friend. i roughly get what u meant.. so if 56 hosts, i'd use 64. if 43 hosts, i'll use 64 also. if 29 hosts, i'll use 32.. am i correct?

Yep, that's right.

CodeBlox posted the right answers there also.