Wendell Odom vs. Todd Lammle

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
Being bored of Microsoft exams and VCAP5-DCA nowhere in sight atm - I am pondering with the thought of attacking the CCNA - it is not part of my current job - as a result I got time.. But I used to work with Cisco gear in my last job and loved it so hunting an exam would at least strengthen the knowledge ...

Being in no rush I probably end up reading both, but which one is more suitable for beginner(ish) soon-to-be-cisco-geeks ?

It seems (according to Amazon reviews) that books from Wendell are going into more detail and key points whereas Todd presumes some deeper existing cisco knowledge.

Some people seem to compare them based on certain topics, where Wendell does apparently a better job in explaining subnetting whilst Todd explains concepts in better details ...

I don't have either yet so I'd love to get some opinions please (*) :)

(*) even reading through the posts here shows probably split opinions ....
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm actually finding that Todd Lammle is covering more areas than Odom's book. I've read both and like how Todd makes difficult subjects easier to understand without missing out on the deeper subjects. I own both books, because Odom's comes with the Boson test engine which would normally cost me an arm and a leg.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have both and i will just say

With Todd It's much more fun reading but you come out wanting more.

With Wendell you get more than you bargain for and personally if you don't have the edge to shoot yourself after reading Wendell's books then you will pass the CCNA I think.

I usually read Wendell, then on to Todd. I just mix both. I also like Odom for Boson
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Google Books has previews of both. Check them out and see for yourself which style you prefer.
  • carwashguycarwashguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have both and really love Lammle's book, also the way he explains subnetting hit perfect with me. I will go look at Odom's if I need a little more info on areas. I like Lammle then Chris Bryant and if I really need more detail I will open Odom's book.
  • FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    I have Todd's And Odoms, Odoms sits on windowsill and Todds get read every day.

All respect due, but Odoms is like pulling teeth.

And Todds I could take on holiday and read to chill out with.
  • fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    It's look like I'm the only one who doesn't like Lammle's book. I think Odom's book is better, but my favorite is: Amazon.com: CCNA Exam Prep (Exam 640-802) (2nd Edition) (9780789737137): Jeremy Cioara, David Minutella, Heather Stevenson: Books
  • ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Am I the only one that likes Odom's book?! Anyways, alan2308 makes a good point; Google Books has previews of both, check em out and see which one suits your learning style and go with that one!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fsanyee wrote: »
    It's look like I'm the only one who doesn't like Lammle's book. I think Odom's book is better, but my favorite is: Amazon.com: CCNA Exam Prep (Exam 640-802) (2nd Edition) (9780789737137): Jeremy Cioara, David Minutella, Heather Stevenson: Books

Thank you all for the input. Much appreciated. As for Jeremy Cioara's book - It was the first on my list (didn't he do the CBT Nuggets?) but a lot d reviews, including some on Amazon, complaining about the amount of errors in that particular boom which seemed to exist since the first edition (and new ones were added).

Whilst I cannot have an opinion myself, I obviously have to go by the masses and that is somewhat worrying.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't speak for Odom's book as I haven't read it at all. But I have Lammle's CCENT book. It's a great read. Goes into detail on all the subjects are on the exam. I've read it once and currently re-reading it to ensure I have understood everything. My studying goes like this:

2 - 4 hours of reading per night + 1 - 2 hours of subnetting questions, and if I have time, labbing.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • seansabianseansabian Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have read both books. And I keep coming back to Todd Lammle's book. Todd has a great conversational writing style, it's like he's talking to you!
    ~ Sean
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Got a 1hr40 train journey each way to and from work so I got bored and bought Todd Lammles book through my Kindle online (5 minutes before I got a text that a colleague got both I can borrow lol).

Read only a bit obviously but it seems that Todd Lammle has a similar easy going writing style like Mark Minasi really.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you purchase Todd Lammle's book, he'll send you some bonus Packet Tracer labs not included on his CD. The labs cover almost every chapter of the book.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ltat42a wrote: »
    If you purchase Todd Lammle's book, he'll send you some bonus Packet Tracer labs not included on his CD. The labs cover almost every chapter of the book.

I bought the 6th Edition from Amazon and didn't receive anything. This was a few months ago before the release of his 7th edition
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • carwashguycarwashguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There is a thread on here where lammle tells you to email him your receipt and he with send you the CD contents and some packet tracer labs. He also sends some **** sheets from packet life
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    See Todd Lammle's forum here for the Bonus material -
    Where to get Bonus material for my 7th Edition - Lammle Forum

Ask him, he may give you the material anyway.

hth
  • Aman_sainiAman_saini Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With Wendell you get more than you bargain for and personally if you don't have the edge to shoot yourself after reading Wendell's books then you will pass the CCNA I think.

I too thought about it because he keep explaining his examples again and again that bored me too much
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Aman_saini wrote: »
    I too thought about it because he keep explaining his examples again and again that bored me too much

That's an habit of Odom's, but you know what? It works. He did that *all* through the QoS book. And as much as it irritated me reading the same thing three times.... it stuck. So I have to give it some credit.
  • Aman_sainiAman_saini Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's an habit of Odom's, but you know what? It works. He did that *all* through the QoS book. And as much as it irritated me reading the same thing three times.... it stuck. So I have to give it some credit.

Yeah right but sometimes you need go on and Welldom request break after each topic with his explaining, on the other side Todd gives you lab in between which much like fun to do, but i respect Welldom books too i have read both.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Labbing would be nice in Odom's. I've tried to replicate the layout of the examples but there's oftentimes missing things - ip address, subnets, etc. But i guess if you want labs, buy the lab book :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally prefer Odom's book. More thorough, better presentation of the information.
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've got a CCENT book from both Lammle and Odom and I do think Lammle is easier to read. Odom's book is really deep I feel like. But, I've been going back and forth between the two.
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    headshot wrote: »
    I personally prefer Odom's book. More thorough, better presentation of the information.

Agree

I do not care for "conversational style" technical reading. Just give me the facts.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I cross read both. While Lammle's book is easier to read, Odom's book has more depth to cover. They both compliment each other, IMHO. :)
  • TheNetworkingNoobTheNetworkingNoob Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to bump such an old thread. OP must probably have started off with something by now, but because this seems to be such a popular question I thought I, too, should contribute.

When I began preparing, I stocked up on everything that I could just as an overenthusiastic beginner does. I didn't ask for opinion though, just went about looking for anything that taught you a thing or two CCNA XD

At that time I didn't really have an idea about the 'Press Books' or so. By that time I'd already issued a copy by Todd in my college library, which I meant to go through by the weekend. I just glanced through the contents page and concluded that this book pretty much covers everything that you will ever need to get started. I personally liked the intro pages (not kidding)

The problem began with 'collision domain' and all kinds of terms flying right in the beginning icon_confused.gif??:

I literally had no idea what to do. I thought there might be an index page that explains everything but that didn't help either. I thought I might be too noob to figure this out so I began re-reading, only this time around with more attention to details. I later figured out that the author wasn't really giving me a Network 101, instead he was just putting together a lot of important concepts to apply in practice.

To get a perspective, I got the Odom book as well. I thought this would be my last attempt at understanding Cisco networks (because I had already gone through Data Communication and Networking as well as the legendary text Computer Networks so I couldn't figure out what is so hard about CCNA)

I read the first page. Then the chapter. Finally, the book.

I have yet to go through the other book but I never faced any problems going through the official 'Press Books' as they would have been the best indicators of the level of difficulty or so I thought.

Odom's book is quite comprehensive IMO. There are no loose ends and you'll never find yourself looking for other texts to get answers. The only problem ? They are massive icon_surprised.gif

Todd's book seems more of a condensed black book of Cisco networking. A beginner should never pick it up unless he already has some of the jargon cleared up. I mean, that's what I felt the first time I read it.

I keep both the books with me and yeah as @chopsticks points out,
    They both compliment each other

Another interesting development that has taken place quite recently, is that they have decided to offer the press books for free :p
    (Maybe they had a hard time fighting off piracy, I don't know, but that's good for those who are broke to buy them :D)

CCNA ICND1 640-822 Official Cert Guide, 3rd Edition
    CCNA ICND2 640-816 Official Cert Guide, 3rd Edition
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see nobody is talking about Rick Graziani here.. His material is in Cisco Netacads accross the United States. Odom is deep in stuff that is not on exams--i.e. secondary IP addresses on interfaces. Lammle, I like his comedic style, but in a couple of weeks if I fail CCENT i know his material does not cover what's on the exam

Rick Graziani, Cabrillo College
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    Try ccna in 60 days as well imo as the Eboook only costs around 3$..

I got the Bryant book and videos
    Odem book
    Ccna in 60 days.