Technical Recruiter Good, Bad or a waste of time???

matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was at my college's career fair and I was almost verbally assisted by this recruiter.. I was definitively a sales man. wanted me to come in to the office the next day.. felt like a piece of meat lol.
Anyone get a solid FT job from these guys or is it better to go solo??
Thanks Guys
Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    It really depends on the company. My current job is through a recruiter, and the experience has been great. In the Atlanta area, TekSystems and Insight Global do very good jobs. I won't take a call from a Robert Half recruiter anymore, though.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've gotten three full time, direct hire jobs through recruiters. A lot of companies don't want to go through the hassle of searching themselves. In my experience they set you up on an interview and act as a go between you and the company. I usually just start communicating straight with the hiring manager after the interview though. They like to stay involved to get their commission though.

I personally wouldn't work contract through a firm, but a lot of people seem to do it without much issue.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It really depends on the company. My current job is through a recruiter, and the experience has been great. In the Atlanta area, TekSystems and Insight Global do very good jobs. I won't take a call from a Robert Half recruiter anymore, though.

thats the company "Robert Half".. icon_sad.gif dont really know what to do... I guess i will give them a try and see there worth it or should I just blow him off?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well what do you have to lose? Maybe they get you a job and maybe you get a bit of the run around. Not the end of the world.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Don't consider anything they offer you that you have to heavily invest yourself in financially or cost you time and money in the long-run. A lot of recruiter firms/staffing agencies push you to take whatever they want to put in front of you and you may likely end up with the short end of the stick and losing money in the end if you don't put them in their place. Remember that they are there to make money off of you and their profit is guaranteed by the rates they charge for your work whereas your profit is a matter of fate and what they agree to pay you. Also be sure to scrutinize the paperwork they give you to sign as these companies will try to pass a minimum low-ball number by you even if you agree on bigger numbers in your talks with them.
    Don't consider anything they offer you that you have to heavily invest yourself in financially or cost you time and money in the long-run. A lot of recruiter firms/staffing agencies push you to take whatever they want to put in front of you and you may likely end up with the short end of the stick and losing money in the end if you don't put them in their place. Remember that they are there to make money off of you and their profit is guaranteed by the rates they charge for your work whereas your profit is a matter of fate and what they agree to pay you. Also be sure to scrutinize the paperwork they give you to sign as these companies will try to pass a minimum low-ball number by you even if you agree on bigger numbers in your talks with them.

Thanks, I have an idea of salary range im looking for.. if they try to offer me anything less I make them explain to me why I should consider them. maybe ask to talk with the company directly.. not sure if i can do tht.. well c i guess
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    They will find you a job 2hrs away, you'll pass and they will say "but why????"
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    SteveLord wrote: »
    hahaha maybe ill at least get a funny story out of it
  • cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□

Similar to something that happened between my and RH...I live in South New Jersey. THey were pushing a gig on Eastern Long Island, NY. Sorry...with traffic that is a 3-4 ride. Politely declined. Recruiter proceeds to say..."What...you no want job?" I said that I want a job, I just don't want to spend 6-8 hours a day commuting. Want to keep the commute under an hour. THen he says...ok...I have a job in the Boston area but the money is about 20/hour less than you are looking for...Would you consider this opportunity?

I just hung up the phone and started looking for a bottle of whiskey....
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yes I have good jobs though them, but there good and bad like there is every where.

I look at the job not the recruiter.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

Seriously, that is so true. Coming from the NYC area, I have this one recruiter who's the best of the worst [meaning I'll entertain him when I'm not busy.] This guy tries his best to use his Jedi Mind-Tricks to get me to go from the metro-NYC area, to Oklahoma City. Nothing against OK, but location aside, he tried to convince me that taking a $20k paycut would be ok because cost of living is so much lower. If any of you guys ever get into that situation, ask the recruiter what he'd do if the positions were reversed...then have fun with him/her.
    cknapp78 wrote: »
    Similar to something that happened between my and RH...I live in South New Jersey. THey were pushing a gig on Eastern Long Island, NY. Sorry...with traffic that is a 3-4 ride. Politely declined. Recruiter proceeds to say..."What...you no want job?" I said that I want a job, I just don't want to spend 6-8 hours a day commuting. Want to keep the commute under an hour. THen he says...ok...I have a job in the Boston area but the money is about 20/hour less than you are looking for...Would you consider this opportunity?

I just hung up the phone and started looking for a bottle of whiskey....

Someone flunked geography...lmao. At least the Philly area, would have been somewhat acceptable to you; and I'd imagine that's probably where you'd concentrate most of your job search. South Jersey pretty much belongs to Philly and North Jersey pretty much belongs to NYC.

In all honesty, I've never even been to "the island." (Long Island) I'm not rich, so I don't go to the Hamptons, and I've never had any reason to visit LI. Been to every borough of NYC though...and upstate NY and Westchester...but never LI.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My current job I got through a recruiter - in fact - the company only recruits through those recruitment companies so they don't have to sort out the rubbish themselves :)

Experience has been great and I certainly don't regret it ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Seriously, that is so true. Coming from the NYC area, I have this one recruiter who's the best of the worst [meaning I'll entertain him when I'm not busy.] This guy tries his best to use his Jedi Mind-Tricks to get me to go from the metro-NYC area, to Oklahoma City. Nothing against OK, but location aside, he tried to convince me that taking a $20k paycut would be ok because cost of living is so much lower. If any of you guys ever get into that situation, ask the recruiter what he'd do if the positions were reversed...then have fun with him/her.

Someone flunked geography...lmao. At least the Philly area, would have been somewhat acceptable to you; and I'd imagine that's probably where you'd concentrate most of your job search. South Jersey pretty much belongs to Philly and North Jersey pretty much belongs to NYC.

In all honesty, I've never even been to "the island." (Long Island) I'm not rich, so I don't go to the Hamptons, and I've never had any reason to visit LI. Been to every borough of NYC though...and upstate NY and Westchester...but never LI.

I'm acutally right along the shore in northern Ocean County. Almost the same distance from Philly and NY. Regardless, most recruiters who call me are complete knuckleheads. I won't slam them all....after all, without them I wouldn't have had work the past 3 years....but having to take every phone call and realize that only about 1 in 10 calls are within driving distance aggravates me. And let's not even talk about some of the seriously LOW offers you get calls on.

I once had a recruiter call me looking for an Exchange Architect for a 20,000 user migration. That's me I said. Then he says...How about 35/hour? I told him to triple the rate...take 15 dollars off the top and enroll in the local elementary school for Math 101. Greedy bastards. You know damned well that they were going to pay me 35/hr and bill me out at over 150/hr.