Options

Should I know JAVA to get an Admin/Engineering position?

langenoirlangenoir Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I'm going in for an in personinterview after a successful two phone interview with HR and the ITDirector and I was told that I would be given a 3 hour interview withthe Linux Admin, Windows Admin, Helpdesk Manager, and a test on JAVAand I'm like, wait Java WTF?

This is the description.

IT Analyst
If it plugs in to something, chancesare that the IT Department manages it. Responsible for thetechnology infrastructure that supports all employees and thethousands of customers, IT runs lean and mean, providing uniquesolutions that solve business challenges and enabling us to keepmoving forward.

The IT Analyst is responsible for theday-to-day management of the corporate infrastructure that spansmultiple locations across the country, consisting of a mix of Windowsand Linux servers, VMware hosts, NetApp storage, Cisco and HPNetworking, Microsoft server apps, homegrown and third-party Linuxapps.

Responsibilities

Ability to ‘take ownership’ ofsystems and processes
Serve as an escalation resource forsolving tough end-user problems
Maintain accurate inventorydocumentation
Set up PCs, printers, peripherals,servers, and networking equipment
Manage Computers, users and policy inActive Directory
Willingness to work off-hours asnecessary for time-critical projects
Experience with IP Telephony (Avayapreferred)

Qualifications

Desire to provide excellent andefficient service
Solid troubleshooting skills
Solid understanding of server andnetwork hardware
Strong skills in one of the following:Windows Server administration, Linux Server administration, and adesire to deep-dive in technologies that are unfamiliar
Solid skills in common Microsoftbusiness applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Solid understanding of IP networking,firewalls, and external networking technologies
Excellent communication skills andattention to detail
Team player, able to work with both theonsite IT and Engineering staff, as well as a remote IT team spreadacross other offices
A fast learner
Experience with the IT and facilitiesrequirements for office relocations
Experience working with externalnetworking providers a plus
Experience working with VMwarevirtualization technologies a plus
MCSE, RHCE, or other standardcertifications a plus

If they said they would be testing me over Powershell, Bash, Perl, or Python that would make more sense, but Java? Am I just off base here?

Comments

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    were you talking to the hr person at the time?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If the company wants you to know Java, then yeah, you need to know Java!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    What networker said, but it is curious that it wasn't in the job description at all. The description is pretty broad though.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    No it has not been mentioned in the job description or either interview. I'm thinking how can you expect people with Java knowledge and not put it on the job description? That's a pretty big thing to miss and not to even remotely mention any object oriented programming experience. . .

I'm hoping that it's a screw up since they are hiring coders and HR is usually clueless on tech.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I would question why does a System admin / Engineer (with those responsibilities) needs to know java other than updating the applet? Java is programming and your title / daily tasks do not require that knowledge and honestly shouldn't. I think a basic understanding (maybe loops, etc to maybe assit or aid a product on a very basic level).
  • Options
    higherho wrote: »
    I would question why does a System admin / Engineer (with those responsibilities) need to know java other than updating the applet? Java is programming and your title / daily tasks do not require that knowledge and honestly shouldn't. I think a basic understanding (maybe loops, etc to maybe assit or aid a product on a very basic level).

Questioning what the company wants you to know is a quick ticket out of the running for the job IMO.

If its not a mix up I'd just let them know you don't have the experience but are willing to learn. That is if you are wiling to learn.
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    Maybe they want you to program 'Hello World'
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Questioning what the company wants you to know is a quick ticket out of the running for the job IMO.

If its not a mix up I'd just let them know you don't have the experience but are willing to learn. That is if you are wiling to learn.

This is true and I agree with you especially the last sentence. However, I always ponder this but were does the line in the sand get drawn? Do you want someone to be an experienced professional or do you want them to be so spread them so thin?
  • Options
    If a job asks for stuff you don't know or don't want to know just politely decline the interview. What kind of professional they want is up to them. Its not a battle you need to try to fight with them.
  • Options
    higherho wrote: »
    This is true and I agree with you especially the last sentence. However, I always ponder this but were does the line in the sand get drawn? Do you want someone to be an experienced professional or do you want them to be so spread them so thin?

The sad thing is that up till now the job sounded great and I was really psyched. They seem like they were more interested in finding a tech that can also work the business side. Honestly learning Java would probably be good for me, but Powershell or Perl would probably be more useful.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If a job asks for stuff you don't know or don't want to know just politely decline the interview. What kind of professional they want is up to them. Its not a battle you need to try to fight with them.

I agree, but as you said, if it's a mix-up this is another story. The requirement for Java is so far off-base that I would question it at some point during the interview process, just to make sure. I would say something to this effect:

"I don't really have much Java experience, and I'm happy to learn, but I'm wondering how it would integrate into my responsibilities as a systems analyst."

Really, I think you have to ask the question. If the answer makes sense and you're willing to learn it after the answer, great. But I'm with OP that such a strange request is enough to turn me away from that type of job. Java and JavaScript really have no place in systems administration -- sure, there's Jscript, but basically no one uses Jscript for administration and certainly not full-blown compiled Java. Powershell, Vbscript, BASH, Perl, and Python are the administrators' languages. Java and JavaScript are the languages of web and app developers, not systems people.

Like I said, just ask. It's such a strange requirement you would be taking a huge risk not to clarify it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    langenoir wrote: »
    homegrown and third-party Linuxapps.

Maybe this right here? Maybe they run heavy Java apps on Linux, and you're expected to be able to support them as well.
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I agree, but as you said, if it's a mix-up this is another story. The requirement for Java is so far off-base that I would question it at some point during the interview process, just to make sure. I would say something to this effect:

"I don't really have much Java experience, and I'm happy to learn, but I'm wondering how it would integrate into my responsibilities as a systems analyst."

Really, I think you have to ask the question. If the answer makes sense and you're willing to learn it after the answer, great. But I'm with OP that such a strange request is enough to turn me away from that type of job. Java and JavaScript really have no place in systems administration -- sure, there's Jscript, but basically no one uses Jscript for administration and certainly not full-blown compiled Java. Powershell, Vbscript, BASH, Perl, and Python are the administrators' languages. Java and JavaScript are the languages of web and app developers, not systems people.

Like I said, just ask. It's such a strange requirement you would be taking a huge risk not to clarify it.

I didn't mean do not ask about the position and the responsibilities, what I meant was do not question why they expect their admin/engineer to need this skill. That is if they do in fact want someone to know Java for this position as I agree it does sound off base here.
  • Options
    Well it looks like it was a mistake. Whew.
  • Options
    Did you do the interview? How did it go?
  • Options
    Did you do the interview? How did it go?
    It's not till next week. I just got an email from HR about the mistake. I'm just relieved to not have to waste a vacation day for something that could have gone so wrong.
  • Options
    Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    Maybe they want you to program 'Hello World'

Love this Everytime I try to learn a new language its always 'Hello World'

I always try to put something to make me smile. like 'I think I need help' or 'Here we go again' icon_smile.gif
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    if (CompanyWantsJava == yes)
    {
    JPaneOption.showMessageDialog(null, "Yes you need to know Java");
    }

something like that? lol
    meh