Options

Advice 101

jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
What do u guys do when you are been called to say something in a meeting or input? I'm kind of new here but they want me to say something.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's great to hear that your advice is being sought. Since you are new, just don't offer solutions without first understanding the business conditions in which the company operates. For example, if its a Windows shop, dont start suggesting that servers should get replaced with Linux boxes. One of my pet peeves is when people say - "at my old company, we used to do it this way..." Also - the most important - remember who your audience is- dont throw around acronyms and technical jargon if discussing with non-technologists. Be prepared to discuss based on facts and not opinions. Have fun and since you were asked that means they trust your thoughts on a subject.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    paul78 wrote: »
    That's great to hear that your advice is being sought. Since you are new, just don't offer solutions without first understanding the business conditions in which the company operates. For example, if its a Windows shop, dont start suggesting that servers should get replaced with Linux boxes. One of my pet peeves is when people say - "at my old company, we used to do it this way..." Also - the most important - remember who your audience is- dont throw around acronyms and technical jargon if discussing with non-technologists. Be prepared to discuss based on facts and not opinions. Have fun and since you were asked that means they trust your thoughts on a subject.

You don't have to say "at my old company..." but people rely on past experiences and saying that is an easy way to convey something that you've seen either done poorly or done well before. I don't have a problem with people saying that as long as they don't use it as a crutch. As an Information Technology professional, drawing on past experiences is what we do. I do, however, agree with the rest of your comments.
  • Options
    jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
    QHalo wrote: »
    You don't have to say "at my old company..." but people rely on past experiences and saying that is an easy way to convey something that you've seen either done poorly or done well before. I don't have a problem with people saying that as long as they don't use it as a crutch. As an Information Technology professional, drawing on past experiences is what we do. I do, however, agree with the rest of your comments.

They call names. For example: Frank, what do you think? James, what about you?
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    I would try to bring something of value to a meeting that is relevant to the attendees. It could be almost anything:

1) Where is the company missing opportunities to provide additional services?

2) Tell about a time when a department or client was let down and describe a policy or process could have prevented this.

3) Give credit to a coworker.

4) If your boss or department was recently featured in a newspaper or magazine, consider bringing a copy and pointing this out.

5) Share something particularly insightful that you learned.

If you cannot come up with anything at all, study their competitors. What are the competitors doing differently? Do they have any good ideas?
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To add to what's already been said:

1) Know the topic of the meeting beforehand.

2) Bring a pen and notebook to the meeting (or a tablet that has a notetaking app.)

3) Listen, and jot down key points that are discussed [but don't look like a secretary/stenographer doing it.]

4) When you are up to bat to speak, try to open up with concise points about the situation, and then bring it home (but don't present a dissertation....make sure your brief points have value to what's going on.)

5) Try to be as non-confrontational as humanly possible.

6) Sound like you are sure you know what you're talking about, but don't sound like you're talking out of the wrong hole...

7) Above all, be engaging and willing to help find the solution to the problem.