cisco iou on unix

uuiz357uuiz357 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
My first week with cisco iou on unix; it has been nightmare thus far. i am trying to setup a point to point link between two routers but i have not made any progress for 3 days.

router1:
ip address serial1/0 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252

default telnet ip address: 192.168.126.128 port 2001

line protocol: up down

router2:
ip address serial1/0 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.252

default telnet ip address: 192.168.126.128 port 2002

line protocol: up down

Both r1 and r2 are DCE

Do i need a serial cable "like gns3" to make router1 respond to router2? or what should i bring the link between r1 and r2 up? Thanks in advance for you all your help....

Comments

• MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    There is a file called netmap in your IOU directory, you need to setup up your links in there. It isn't to complicated but here is what I know:

the first number is the router application ID second is the port, there is a calculation for the port and it is:
    (x and y being, interface x/y)

port = x + (y * 16)

so to connect r1 to r2 using ports 1/0 on r1 and 1/0 on r2, you need to in the netmap file with r1 having app ID of 100 and r2 having app ID of 200.

in the netmap file it should have

100:1 200:1

then start your routers like so

./<cisco_iou_file> 100 -s 2
    ./<cisco_iou_file> 200 -s 2

this would start your routers with ids of 100 and 200 and 8 serial ports at 0/y set and 1/y set (I think)

also you need a clock rate, not sure if you configured it.

Please correct me if I am wrong its been a while since i played with cisco's IOU

If you have any other questions just ask I will be glad to help
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    save your self the trouble and just download one of the live cds that has it already built to run.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    Where is the fun in that?
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Haven't played with any of the serial stuff on IOU yet, but it's been great for ethernet. The pair of 3550's i've got in my lab rack won't do PVLAN, vrrp or glbp, so it's nice to have a platform that's portable and available to do that on.

I'm really liking it for studying. I wish Cisco would market and release it...
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IOU won't do pvlan either, etherchannel and a few other features as well. if anything it's still good to practice on to get used to the commands and test certain technologies.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe there is some variation in command support between versions? The copy that I have does PVLANs and EtherChannel (but not Layer 3 etherchannel) I built up a topology on both of those technologies this morning on IOU switches.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • waragiwaragi Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are some of the Cisco exams also not iou based?.
    It would be a advantage knowing iou quirks if this is the situation.
  • uuiz357uuiz357 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks very much i will give it a try and let you know of the outcome.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    L3IOU is pretty useful, I've moved to using it instead of Dynamips for small labs and proof of concepts that I don't need to involve switches for.

L2IOU.... I gave up on it when I couldn't get something as simple as a trunk link to work.
  • Bogdand27Bogdand27 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Vinbuck. So does IOU l2 support etherchannel, pvlan QoS ??

Thank you