Anyone get the Ipad3 today?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Just curious if anyone has one yet, and what they think.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll report tonight. When my wife comes home we are trading in the Ipad2 + 125 dollars to get the Ipad3. SCHWEET!
  • amplifyamplify Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I walked into work this morning, first thing, a co-worker told me that the boss needed to see me in his office right away.

Oh crap! What did I do now??

I got in there and he whipped out BAM brand-new iPad 3! Score!

The display is amazing, camera is improved. Other than that, not so different.
    I am total stoked about the display. Visual always gets my attention.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    One of the guys at the office got it today. The screen resolution is great, so is the camera quality, but nothing more beyond that. For me, that is not enough to justify an upgrade from iPad2.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I'd be curious to know if reading is improved with the better resolution.

N2, was that trade in a special deal or can I go camp out with the Woz in Century City and get one?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
    onesaint wrote: »
    I'd be curious to know if reading is improved with the better resolution.

N2, was that trade in a special deal or can I go camp out with the Woz in Century City and get one?

The misses and out went out to a Hibachi and never made it up to Best Buy to get the replacement. Oddly enough the couple next to us had an Ipad 3, the husband had one from his work he ran a AT&T satelite store.

When I bought the Ipad 2 about 1 month ago I paid ~125-150 to get the free upgrade plan. All I need is the Ipad2 the components with it and the receipts and they hand me a brand new 3.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Where did u get that deal? I wish more companies offered this, even if you had to pay a small trade in premium.

I got the iPad 3 via preorder on the announcement day.

It's an iPad 2 with higher resolution. I think the next one is going to be a performance boost like the iPad 2.
    Best buy in Rochester MN offered that deal. I jumped all over it.

I was talking to the AT&T rep he of course mentioned the screen resolution ~2000X1500 which is redonkulous, the camera is much better, and it has A6 processor which, according time makes the Ipad scream.

***He's a rep so take it for what it's worth, but I know for a fact it has newer hardware like the processor. I think the I pad 2 had an A5X or something like that. He said it has quad core and the Ipad2 only had 2.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If I didn't have a trip coming up to spend time with relatives, I would have grabbed one. Perhaps this summer.
  • neo468neo468 Member Posts: 123
    I'm thinking about getting one for reading my tech books on, while commuting on the train has anyone tried reading their techbooks on the new one and is it really worth the extra $100 or should I just get the iPad 2.
    1's and 0's
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was listening to the Twit podcast and they reviewed it. Said that reading material was a lot sharper. Also they mentioned that there is a new higher capacity battery so LTE connections don't drain the battery as fast. If that battery is in the wifi? Not sure. But then somebody said it was important for the higher resolution display?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    N2IT wrote: »
    ***He's a rep so take it for what it's worth, but I know for a fact it has newer hardware like the processor. I think the I pad 2 had an A5X or something like that. He said it has quad core and the Ipad2 only had 2.
    It's the iPad 3 that has the A5X (iPad 2 has A5) and only the GPU (the graphic processor in the A5X) is quad core, CPU itself is still dual core. The extra pixels (basically 4 times as many) make that better GPU rather mandatory.
    neo468 wrote:
    I'm thinking about getting one for reading my tech books on, while commuting on the train has anyone tried reading their techbooks on the new one and is it really worth the extra $100 or should I just get the iPad 2.
    Although it's not a dense as the iPhone 4/4s retina display, if you're getting it for reading your tech books on in particular, I'd definitely go for the easier-on-the-eyes new screen.
    Thanks for the clear up WM

The clarity is amazing that is not arguable. I think the actual performance is better as well, but who really knows. I'll have a better idea in a few weeks of usage.
  • gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im planing too to get one once they become available again... a friend of mine got it the first day and the screen looks impressive, sharp and clear. I want it with a case that has an integrated bluetooth keyboard so I can take notes in meetings, calendar, study and other stuff.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Also has 1GB of memory instead of 512MB.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For those interested, the new ipad is available at newegg.com. I already ordered mine. Good luck.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • BIGDubBIGDub Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been thinking about getting one. Right now I'm typing this on a Toshiba Qosmio laptop. It's powerful as hell but its a big and bulky at almost 9 pounds. I was considering either a IPad3 or the ASUS Transformer Prime. I would like something that I can take on the road but I don't know if I can justify the expense.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am still on the original iPad .. I only got a 16GB WIFI model and I now really want / need a 64GB one preferable with 3G ...

Naturally I was looking at the iPAD 3 but then you look at the price of the 64GB 4G model and I don't think I can justify the high price tag. The difference between the iPAD 2 and 3 are features I don't need / look for so I might as well wait a bit and make an iPAD 2 bargain :)

They are already half the price on eBay ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Why would anyone need the 64GB models? They're expensive. And would be even harder to resell because nobody buys them.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Why would anyone need the 64GB models? They're expensive. And would be even harder to resell because nobody buys them.

I had a 32GB iPad 1 and I barely made a dent in mine even with some Pixar movies I put on there for my son. I don't use it for music since I have my phone for that.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    With apps and media, you can easily fill up quickly. Imagine if you threw your music collection, tech documents and maybe CBT Nuggets converted to MP4.

Unless you manage your apps, stream from a PC or NAS, then space could fill up quickly. I want to say Rage by ID is like a GB. With more and more high res games, you could fill up fast if you're not deleting.
  • BIGDubBIGDub Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well after looking at a few of the head to head comparisons I'm going to go with the Transformer Prime. One thing about Apple that consistently bothers me is that they have to put a seal of approval on everything. It's nice for security but it's a pain for everything else. It does suck though that IPad gets the cooler stuff (The iCade and oscilloscope add on off ThinkGeek, as well as the new Baldur's Gate) but I guess it's a small price to pay for freedom (ROMS).

I am considering holding off though as it's been just announced that Asus is going to be coming out with a successor to the Transformer Prime called the Transformer Infinity. It will be identical to the original with a slightly faster processor and a improved display.
    BIGDub wrote: »
    Well after looking at a few of the head to head comparisons I'm going to go with the Transformer Prime. One thing about Apple that consistently bothers me is that they have to put a seal of approval on everything. It's nice for security but it's a pain for everything else. It does suck though that IPad gets the cooler stuff (The iCade and oscilloscope add on off ThinkGeek, as well as the new Baldur's Gate) but I guess it's a small price to pay for freedom (ROMS).

I am considering holding off though as it's been just announced that Asus is going to be coming out with a successor to the Transformer Prime called the Transformer Infinity. It will be identical to the original with a slightly faster processor and a improved display.

What is a pain with Apple having to approve everything? I had an Android tablet for a little while and I really could not find many apps I wanted to use where as I have to restrain myself from the ton of apps for the iPad.