Options

Anyone else burnt out?

13»

Comments

• Options
    XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Think I've been burnt out for over a year now, maybe which is why I haven't done any study or bothered to get onto TE. My japanese learning has also dried up since there's virtually no chance now of working in Japan.

It's a vicious cycle; I now see good jobs on Seek and I go "arrgh, if only I had been studying!" Still not motivated though.

So you tried Japanese with your IT studies? I'm doing this right now. It feels hard to distribute time to improving language skills and trying to learn new IT skills. It leaves me almost no time for simple things like gaming and movies. :/ I haven't given up on Japan. I think if one can get JLPT 1kyu with a few good years of tech experience, there should be a chance. Hoping for 2kyu this year. It's what keeps me going each day with my studies. I have my failed 2kyu certificate on the wall, reminding me that I can do it with more effort.

Edit: I read the whole thread and I see your reason for not being able to work in Japan. I guess disregard my post. With ties to Japan it's the best, but I guess if there's fear over the radiation, 仕方がない. I so want to go back to Japan. The best 15 months of my life...
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    XiaoTech wrote: »
    So you tried Japanese with your IT studies? I'm doing this right now. It feels hard to distribute time to improving language skills and trying to learn new IT skills. It leaves me almost no time for simple things like gaming and movies. :/ I haven't given up on Japan. I think if one can get JLPT 1kyu with a few good years of tech experience, there should be a chance. Hoping for 2kyu this year. It's what keeps me going each day with my studies. I have my failed 2kyu certificate on the wall, reminding me that I can do it with more effort.

Edit: I read the whole thread and I see your reason for not being able to work in Japan. I guess disregard my post. With ties to Japan it's the best, but I guess if there's fear over the radiation, 仕方がない. I so want to go back to Japan. The best 15 months of my life...

Yeah, it's hard learning a language and IT certs together; one will be compromised. It's a good talking point though having kanji written all over my desk whiteboard. I like to think I'll get back to it one day but there really is no push now, except for a pile of manga.

After the tsunami last year, my wife spent every night investigating the extent of the fallout, the govt cover ups, what regions the radiation landed in, the secret mixing of contaminated foods with clean crops, etc, even radiation levels in Canada and California. She won't eat tinned tuna anymore or anything from the Pacific rim. The world suddenly became alot smaller.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    can you elaborate more if you don't mind? I know you have great experience, so I thought a new job would mean a better jump. I'm interested because I'm having trouble too (see my next post)

Some days I feel like I'm working with 1 1/2 hands tied behind my back and a blindfold. It's kinda like being battle-tested on the front lines with green berets for 10 years, getting out to take a job in the private sector, only to find out you took a job as a Park Ranger or something.

For all the physical and network security that is set up in this place the systems are not a total wreck, but close... and I am powerless to do much of anything to improve things. I think I was really brought on because they needed someone strong enough to work around the massive kludge that was created when the company got ramped up 5-6 years ago, while executing projects for the business. There are many dozens of accounts that have domain administrator rights, because the IS director, in his infinite wisdom, had taken the stance that he didn't want the Windows infrastructure guys holding up progress, so everyone in IT and most service accounts from that era are domain administrators. VMware was implemented as though they company was terrified of actually putting anything on VMware, so everything gets 2 or 4 vCPUs and a hard memory reservation equal to the allocated memory, usually 4GB or more, and they're griping about having to buy more hosts. Idiots. Getting permission to investigate the implications of making a change, much less actually initiating a change request that isn't related to something that is needed by the application developers, is a effort in futility. I was brought in for my Windows/AD, VMware, and storage expertise, but my recommendations for getting our base infrastructure in a manageable, reasonably-good practice (not even best practice) configuration over time falls on deaf ears over and over again. If I'm lucky it falls on deaf ears. Worst case I get the "Well, now, that's a thought..." patronizing response, like a little pat on the head and go on back to your desk and work on those trouble tickets. There are so many... just... fundamentally flawed things that were allowed to production in this infrastructure, and I don't think anyone is in denial about this fact, but most people who would be the stakeholders are just disinterested or afraid of change.

There is so much work that needs to be done, but I'm sitting at my desk bored because I'm not given the leeway to identify gaps and remediate them, to make improvements, etc. I know I've only been there going on two months, but I was hired because I had a specific, senior-level skill, and I don't think my manager is being allowed by the IT director to use me that way. I'm sitting here basically waiting to react to a problem or waiting for this "huge backlog of projects" that I keep hearing about, but have yet to see.

The pay is excellent, though...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I have the 3 month rule. I always give a job 3 months if it doesn't improve by then see ya.

I've never been in this situation before, but I am definitely going to wait until 3 months to decide if it's time to seriously look or not. The root of my problem I think is the culture of how the IT department fits into the business, and the fact that the IT managers, mine included, are so overburdened that if it's not a high-value project, then it's not worth talking about.

Everyone isn't having this problem. The new SQL DBA, for example, since he's the only SQL DBA, and his role is so focused, doesn't have nearly the obstacles that I do. I don't think it helps me that all the managers are either Unix guys that no nothing about Windows, or old database guys that think the prevailing knowledge from 10 years ago that virtualization is risky for anything other than dev servers is still valid.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    N2IT wrote: »
    I had my PMP flashcards next to me and didn't touch them all night. I went on a 5 hour Raccoon City binge.

It may sound cliche or something but
    Most of the time when we have a really bad week @ work, me and some guys from the office just go for a PS3 night.
    For some reason that kind of helps
    meh
  • Options
    headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FPS games always help me relieve stress. Nothing like blasting some nooberts. The new COD sucks so I stick to BF3.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Probably time to change employers if you feel like that. I felt the same when I was in Helpdesk, and got the eff outa there!

I've been here for almost 5 months, been working NON-STOP, even on vacation days and weekends.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    vCole wrote: »
    I've been here for almost 5 months, been working NON-STOP, even on vacation days and weekends.

Do you feel obliged to work that much? What does your contract say? I was told a long time ago that the most important person to ME at work is ME. It may sound mercenary but I'll only work if I'm getting paid for it. I don't answer my phone after hours unless I'm on-call, which I never am. If you work without pay, you are saying that your time is worth nothing and people will exploit it. We all have skills and they come at a cost.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @blargoe

Culture is the biggest obstacle at times. Having to adopt to a culture that is not as processed and/or technology effecient can be beastly. I had a similar experience when I took my team lead position. I went from doing software pushes through SCCM and leveraging all this nice networking front end technology to managing technicians doing side by side migrations. (NO kidding and this was just 1 year ago)

That took for ever and then the business users had unrealistic expectations because the model before our service team had the funding to resource 3 times as many people. I could go on and on, but eventually I started seeing the positives. I was learning service management and project management from an ex Accenture VP. Long story but he had to relocate back. This dood knew everything and just over 1 year of exposure to this gentlemen has been more like 5 years of management experiences. No lie, I go out with work associates and some friends all the time. My business knowledge jumped and I mean JUMPED from the service management side.

Anyway end of rant, give it 3 months your perspective WILL change. For the better or the worse.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    blargoe wrote: »
    Some days I feel like I'm working with 1 1/2 hands tied behind my back and a blindfold. It's kinda like being battle-tested on the front lines with green berets for 10 years, getting out to take a job in the private sector, only to find out you took a job as a Park Ranger or something.

For all the physical and network security that is set up in this place the systems are not a total wreck, but close... and I am powerless to do much of anything to improve things. I think I was really brought on because they needed someone strong enough to work around the massive kludge that was created when the company got ramped up 5-6 years ago, while executing projects for the business. There are many dozens of accounts that have domain administrator rights, because the IS director, in his infinite wisdom, had taken the stance that he didn't want the Windows infrastructure guys holding up progress, so everyone in IT and most service accounts from that era are domain administrators. VMware was implemented as though they company was terrified of actually putting anything on VMware, so everything gets 2 or 4 vCPUs and a hard memory reservation equal to the allocated memory, usually 4GB or more, and they're griping about having to buy more hosts. Idiots. Getting permission to investigate the implications of making a change, much less actually initiating a change request that isn't related to something that is needed by the application developers, is a effort in futility. I was brought in for my Windows/AD, VMware, and storage expertise, but my recommendations for getting our base infrastructure in a manageable, reasonably-good practice (not even best practice) configuration over time falls on deaf ears over and over again. If I'm lucky it falls on deaf ears. Worst case I get the "Well, now, that's a thought..." patronizing response, like a little pat on the head and go on back to your desk and work on those trouble tickets. There are so many... just... fundamentally flawed things that were allowed to production in this infrastructure, and I don't think anyone is in denial about this fact, but most people who would be the stakeholders are just disinterested or afraid of change.

There is so much work that needs to be done, but I'm sitting at my desk bored because I'm not given the leeway to identify gaps and remediate them, to make improvements, etc. I know I've only been there going on two months, but I was hired because I had a specific, senior-level skill, and I don't think my manager is being allowed by the IT director to use me that way. I'm sitting here basically waiting to react to a problem or waiting for this "huge backlog of projects" that I keep hearing about, but have yet to see.

The pay is excellent, though...

I can relate to what you're saying, although I am in a different situation. I'm outsourced as a senior consultant to an environment where they have their own guy. The main problem is (and I hate to use this word) the cultural background of this guy. He wants to be the boss, and according to his logic he can only be the boss by making my life difficult. He is not the manager, he is just a support engineer but he wants to be in control of everything. The thing is, I'm on very good terms with his managers and I can get him in trouble but I'm not that kind of guy.

The reason why I'm frustrated is, like you, I don't have room to do much. That guy is restricting me. I manage the Unix environment, but he tries to side me whenever there's a new project.

I understand your frustration because when you have long experience, and you can't use your knowledge then you won't feel challenged enough and you will get bored and lose interest (or at least that's what happened with me).

the pay is good here as well...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just came back from a haitus by playing mass effect 3 for a couple of days. Had to do it. I already feel like Im forgetting things ><
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Im going crazy myself.. I work 9 to 6pm five days a week. Im severly unappreciated and underpaid. Im told i dont do anything everyday by my co workers. I would like to move more into a admin position but that requires more certs that I just keep failing. I can't go to the gym like I would like because im so tired from work. SO i can't get in shape like I would like so I can attract a nice girlfriend. On the weekend my phone only rings from buddies and ex co workers looking for tech support. Im not sure what to do right now because my life is not enjoyable right now . I need something to give but it's really frustrating and im exhausted...
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    9 to 6 isn't too bad.

You need more energy during the day. Eat healthier helps, water. Else you'll be more tired. What certifications are you trying to get into?

You can do workouts at work also. I have a pair of perfect pushups things beside me, and I drop down, do a couple. Do things like park in the farthest parking space instead of the crowded parking lots right infront of the door.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    i hit the gym five times a week.. It's a great stress reliever Im more bummed about the failing of net +, I just feel stuck at the present moment but im a focus a bit more..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:

• Options
    i hit the gym five times a week.. It's a great stress reliever Im more bummed about the failing of net +, I just feel stuck at the present moment but im a focus a bit more..

Stick with the Net+. It's hard, but when you pass it - it's all the more sweeter. I failed my CCNA twice for gosh sakes... The first one, 9 years ago? Man I feel old. *sigh*

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yea - sometimes I wish I could just go into pigfarming or something ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Stick with the Net+. It's hard, but when you pass it - it's all the more sweeter. I failed my CCNA twice for gosh sakes... The first one, 9 years ago? Man I feel old. *sigh*

I feel your pain man. Im out 1 out of 10 out of cert test but ive been in the field for close to 10 years. 3 years as a computer technican. 7 years in IT as a support technician. I have the experience just not a great test taker but i see the net + is a great cert to have so i have to get it... that and the security + .....

• Options
    kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Yea - sometimes I wish I could just go into pigfarming or something ...

Unless you're a factory farm, I would think it's too complex with the taxes and regulations its better off doing a service job like programming.
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA