Options

What was your lab setup for 2008?

I had been studying Linux, but I'm sidetracked again. I volunteered to learn HBSS. I know nothing more than the average Windows user. I'd really like to get a hand on HBSS, but up to now my learning has been online. So I'd like to set up a lab. I need a Windows 2008 server and another Windows client. My question is, has anyone set up a Windows 2008 lab?

Comments

• Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A majority of us run virtual labs. There's a few different choices for this. The popular ones are VMWare, VirtualBox, HyperV, VirtualPC. My personal preference is VMWare Workstation. It isn't one of their free products but my school provides a license. VMWare Player, their free tool, works fine for a single VM but fails when you need to network a domain together.

For the lab material, the MS Press Self Study books (2nd Edition) are the way to go. Each chapter contains several labs based on the material covered.

To build your VM's, you can get the trial copies of Server and Windows at technet.microsoft.com. Make sure you get the current R2 OS and training material!
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013