Options

Desktop Support to System Admin?

TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm currently in a Desktop Support role (4 years in) and looking to become a Systems Administrator (Windows Environment) and I've noticed plenty others here have already made such a transition, and some times in a significantly shorter time span. My question is, what skills should one have/study/obtain in order to move into being an SA from desktop support.

Reason for asking is because pretty much any SA position I see asks for skills I wouldn't think one would be exposed to doing Desktop Support. Anyways, about 2 months ago I purchased the MCITP Pressbooks for SA, but even with labs & a virtual environment, it seems like way too much to actually be able to become proficient in & obtain the cert with out on the job experience for a couple of years at least. Basically other than Active Directory tasks & basic file/printer server administrations, I haven't gone too in depth with Windows Server. Although I have built a DNS & DHCP server (as LAN environment setup for my Army Reserve unit), but by reading reference material.
B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)

Comments

• Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Depends on the SA position because they can have you do anything. However, at least 80% of your time (if not more) is going to be on Servers. So I would defiantly get an understanding of Active Directory, Group policy, Imaging, WSUS, IIS (possibly if they use it but for WSUS you will), DHCP, etc.

70% of my time is with servers, where the other 30% is with networking gear (SAN, switches, firewalls, VPN, etc) .
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    The Microsoft tests have only gotten harder in recent years. I have taken the 70-680 and a couple of the MTA exams. The exams you have to pass for the MCITP:SA certification are some of the hardest, from what others are saying. The Windows 7, Configuring test was among the hardest tests I have taken. Since you can't get on the job exposure to the materials, I would suggest using CBT. Of all of the materials I have used for the MTA exams, I would suggest against the uCertify courses. For the price, they are just not worth it. I do like the LearnKey videos and would be interested to know if their higher level courses are as good as the MTA videos.

If you are wanting to move into MS Sys Admin, the 70-640 is the exam you want to be studying towards. However, there is an MTA level exam 98-365. you can look at the learning plan here: Learning Plan Details I am pretty sure that LearnKey has a video series for this exam as well.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    It depends. System Admin, in my opinion, is kind of the "official" title for an IT guy that handles mostly everything (with a few exceptions at times). Sometimes they're part of many, part of a few....or the only one there. Depends on the employer and how their IT dept is structured and how much responsibiltiy they bestow upon that person or persons. Almost always, you will have to ascend into that role or apply for it elsewhere with some experience in your pocket.

I agree with swild that it is best to examine Microsoft's technologies (client, server, AD, etc.) as it is really the best stuff to go off of when aiming toward that kind of role.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Systems Administrators can indeed carry a variety of roles. I think what it comes down to most is you have exposure to many and can show your ability to pick up new ones very quick. I went from Desktop Support to Systems Administration with basic experience in many roles that I'm now furthering.

Now I'm doing everything from managing exchange, AD, IIS, DNS, ect. to migrating physical servers to esxi, setting up and maintaining SANs as well as setting up the virtualized back end for thin clients.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TheCudder wrote: »
    Reason for asking is because pretty much any SA position I see asks for skills I wouldn't think one would be exposed to doing Desktop Support.
    It really depends on the position and environment. At some places you really will be stuck doing only desktop support whether you like it or not, whereas other places have more chance for advancement. My first real IT job was essentially desktop support, but it was in an SMB environment which offered the chance to do more advanced work. I had the option to simply focus on desktop support (it was what I was hired to do, after all), in which case I'd probably still be there doing the same job. Instead I pushed myself to do as much advanced work as possible.

I focused on finding ways to eliminate desktop support problems that ate up much of my time. The environment was quite basic when I started, so there were many things that could be improved. I was able to dramatically reduce the need for desktop support, thus freeing up more time to plan and implement further improvements. After about a year I was heavily focused on sysadmin-type tasks, and after two years I was doing hardly any desktop support. I got an upgraded title and raise and shortly thereafter I landed a more advanced sysadmin position elsewhere with zero desktop support component.
    Anyways, about 2 months ago I purchased the MCITP Pressbooks for SA, but even with labs & a virtual environment, it seems like way too much to actually be able to become proficient in & obtain the cert with out on the job experience for a couple of years at least.
    You won't master it overnight, it will take time and dedication. Two months is not much. Do as much learning as possible at home and during down time at work to improve your knowledge faster. Also check your local community colleges to see if they offer any relevant courses you can fit into your schedule.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    It really depends on the position and environment. At some places you really will be stuck doing only desktop support whether you like it or not, whereas other places have more chance for advancement. My first real IT job was essentially desktop support, but it was in an SMB environment which offered the chance to do more advanced work. I had the option to simply focus on desktop support (it was what I was hired to do, after all), in which case I'd probably still be there doing the same job. Instead I pushed myself to do as much advanced work as possible.

I focused on finding ways to eliminate desktop support problems that ate up much of my time. The environment was quite basic when I started, so there were many things that could be improved. I was able to dramatically reduce the need for desktop support, thus freeing up more time to plan and implement further improvements. After about a year I was heavily focused on sysadmin-type tasks, and after two years I was doing hardly any desktop support. I got an upgraded title and raise and shortly thereafter I landed a more advanced sysadmin position elsewhere with zero desktop support component.

Unfortunately, I'm in a position that limits me. I'm the only IT guy on site (with the exception of a lead which isn't really much a support function) all of the servers/switches are managed by different groups off site and out of state. I'm looking around for a desktop support position that can place me in a different environment which can place me in a better position to learn from others at least.
    You won't master it overnight, it will take time and dedication. Two months is not much. Do as much learning as possible at home and during down time at work to improve your knowledge faster. Also check your local community colleges to see if they offer any relevant courses you can fit into your schedule.

I've been looking into a local tech college as the local community college only offers classes focused on CISCO (but i may take the level 1-2 classes). Back to the tech college. It does offer some classes as a part of a Systems Administrator Cert program that I'm interested in taking --- Server Administration, Network Services Administration, Directory Services Administration, Network Infrastructure Design & Security.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unfortunately, I'm in a position that limits me. I'm the only IT guy on site (with the exception of a lead which isn't really much a support function) all of the servers/switches are managed by different groups off site and out of state.
    Have you tried talking to anyone about possibly taking over some responsibilities? It may or may not be possible, but it's worth a shot. I was in a similar position, but I had domain admin rights, so basically I could tell them, "hey I noticed I get a lot of calls about X, we could probably fix that by doing Y... oh and by the way I already did it and it's been working well for a month." :)
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Admins right are limited to computers --- i'm in a managed service situation. The closest I get to server work is clear/resetting print queues and very RARELY, some "hands & feet" support. There's pretty much an out of state group/team that supports every other aspect of the IT support infrastructure and I have little to no interaction with them
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    Well I have a phone interview next Wednesday for a Desktop Analyst III position and I'm really interested, but feel that I may be a bit under qualified so I'm a little worried about the interview. I have none of the "desired skills" (SCCM, Citrix XenServer, VMWare), but it seems like it will be a Desktop/ Jr. System Admin role. Should I be worried about the lack of the listed desired skills?

A couple of the "duties" from the posting that I'm also worried about:
    -Install, test and support data center components such as servers & storage systems.
    -Analyze interaction of server operating system, applications and network components to troubleshoot problems.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Sys Admin or just Admin per se is a very tricky/complex position and very unique to the job you are applying.
    You can be a Sys admin that is more of a jack of all trades one day and your next sys admin job is more like a network engineer job.

I think a good baseline of skills to have as a sys admin would be, Win Server(active directory, DHCP, domains etc), Unix servers and how to move in it (good general knowledge of most used commands and understanding of how it works).
    Another thing that is useful is how to install certains apps/functions or services in Windows and Unix. Like Tomcat, IIs, Citrix stuff etc
    You dont have to be a guru, but if you understand how to install them and things that usually go wrong, how to fix it (basically be familiar with) then I think you got one feet inside.

PS. Good basic network knowledge too

Then with experience in that particular job you will develop a certain specific skills, when you move to another job you will develop other skills and so on.
    meh