Comparison: Emmett Dulaney's Book vs. Darril Gibson's Book

SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
Hello All,

Great website!

Curious question... Does anyone have any personal experience on the above listed two books to give me any kind of comparison on the material? I only ask because I already have the Emmett Dulaney book, but have been hearing a lot of good feedback on Darril Gibson's book.

Also, any other helpful advice you can give would be more than appreciated on resources (besides Darril's book; however, I have read that - that is all you need!)

Thank you.
Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
Certifications (Studying):
Network+, Security+
Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)

Comments

• quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Sponx, assuming you are talking about DG's Secuirty+ book?

I have heard that Emmett Dulaney's books does not explain topics and concepts as well as Darril does. That point alone is a one very good reason to use Daril Gibson's book. By all means use other study material, but I would say to make Darril's book your main text and anything else supplemental.

Personally I used Darril's book and the Exam Cram Sec+ as well as some online resources and of course the CompTIA practise exams <I think they give you 18 or 10 questions, can't really remember>.

The books I use first was obviously Darril's, next was Exam Cram, I also purchased the All-in-One Sec+ exam guide (didn't like it) and Mike Myers (was OK as reference, but perhaps not enough for exam) and also the Sec+ for dummies.. <don't bother with that one!>.
    The Wings of Technology
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Download the Kindle App for your smartphone, computer, Ipad, tablet etc and get Darril's book for 9.99. Best ten bucks you will ever spend.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Use Darril's book. That is all I used to pass and I got an 850.
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Wow, great feedback. Thank you all.

Regards,
    - Brian
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Darril's book is all you need! (No knock on the Dulaney book though, as it is good as well).
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD