Options

Employers asking for Facebook passwords.

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
More Employers Asking For Facebook, Social Media Passwords | News One

Might this become common practice?

I would of laughed and walked out personally. Actually I probably would of given it to her since my FB account is nothing more than a user id and password. No friends no pictures.

This is why I only maintain professional social media profiles.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No matter how incriminating or not incriminating my Facebook profile is, I will never give this information to any employer. If it was for a job that involved national security I would go into it knowing I had to give up privacy. Anything else? Forget it.

I'm pretty sure we had more or less this exact thread within the last month. I can't remember the title. I think the overwhelming conclusion was that most of us would not even friend our employers, much less give up a password.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    FB has been doing it for a while. Whatever reason, I am glad I don't have Fb account. and i'm damn happy ;)
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    PT

I agree I think it's freaking stOOpid. I don't recall, but I hope the name of that company get's out, if for nothing more than public humiliation.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think it is the stupidest thing ever. The reasoning behind it is unreasonably shallow. What if the employer doesnt have a FB, or says they dont, or hasnt used it since signing up? What has the company gained?

I can understand a legal requirement not to illegally blast the company (whatever the legal term is for such things). But they dont need to be your friend, and they dont need to know what is on there when you apply for a job. Can you do the job? Will you perform your job to the best of your abilities. Thats all I care about. If there is a problem later, then we can deal with it then. Next thing you know someone will not be hired because they are in an interracial relationship, or because they are ***, ect. And whos to say the reason they said no? They could act perfectly fine during the interview, and just tell the hiring manager you werent the person for the job.

Even with National Security positions, I doubt FB will be the only indicator of someones risk to NS.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I saw this on another forum, but someone said if they were to be asked for a FB/Twitter/Linkedin password, then the company should in due kind a)provide the said employee the passwords for the CEO, CIO, etc's FB/Twitter/Linkedin passwords (fair is fair, right) b) provide documentation that HR has also provided their passwords to whomever is asking for them.

Also, isn't sharing your password a violation of Facebooks TOS?
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    Good point about the TOS.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Facebook in general imo is a waste of time. All it has done is create a need to chat for the sake of it. A need to send inane messages just for the sake of it. We started with the telephone, then onto txt messages, email, chatrooms, IM and now facebook. If facebook didn't exist imagine how much more productive people would be. Twitter is another waste of time (created for the masses to make computing easier for them) so if HR departments want to waste their time even further by not only now looking at other people's accounts as well as their own, then let them. I don't have either. Personally if I was the internet god i'd ban both facebook, twitter or any other social media site. This is off topic. Rant over.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also do not have or use a facebook account, being the internet security nut and knowing what an awsome exploit it is both for hackers and a clued-up boss to explore your business and social contacts, I wouldn't even consider giving anyone the opportunity to know your business, much less the potential to create an identity.

If I did have an account and my boss asked me for my password, I'd tell him to jam it!! Somethings are still private and confidential. I also believe that if any employer wants to know that much about your personal business, they have too much time on their hands.

I am sure certain countries, states etc, have laws against such behaviour anyway.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    quinnyfly wrote: »
    I also do not have or use a facebook account, being the internet security nut and knowing what an awsome exploit it is both for hackers and a clued-up boss to explore your business and social contacts, I wouldn't even consider giving anyone the opportunity to know yor business, much less the potential to create an identity.

If I did have an account and my boss asked me for my passwork, I'd tell him to jam it!! Somethings are still private and confidential. I also believe that if any employer wants to know that much about your perosnal business, they have too much time on their hands.

I am sure certain countries, states etc, have laws against such behaviour anyway.

That's exactly why I use LinkedIn. It's been proven and most business professionals are now on it.

I take a risk (facebook account) and turn it into a opportunity (LinkedIn account). I'm hedging that they are going to be nosy and check me out.

If my name is googled you won't see my face on Facebook, but on LinkedIn there is a very good chance I will come up. Along with 35 recommendations all saying I am a great employee. I want them to google me and I want them to see what I bring to the table.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, TechExams...anything you put on the internet goes on your "permanent record". You just need to think twice about things you post (do you really need to post the picture of you doing the keg stand?). And also, if you don't have anything nice to say to someone, just don't say it at all.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's a small world after all example #5,512.
    The Department of Justice regards it as a federal crime to enter a social networking site in violation of the terms of service, but during recent congressional testimony, the agency said such violations would not be prosecuted.

The reason it won't be prosecuted? Because they already tried and lost.
    “It’s akin to requiring someone’s house keys,” said Orin Kerr, a George Washington University law professor and former federal prosecutor who calls it “an egregious privacy violation.”
    The lawyer quoted in the beginning of the article was one of the lawyers who defended Lori Drew in the Facebook harassment case where the feds tried to prosecute her under a federal anti-hacking statute for signing up for a fake name on Facebook to harass some teenage girl who later committed suicide.

"Yeah we consider it a violation of federal law, but we won't prosecute it because ummm a judge ruled against us already".
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
    Typical breach of privacy. Not only that, but kind of creepy.

Also: just because you did a kegstand at your friends Friday night party doesn't mean your a bad potential employee. What one does on one's own time (in a private location) is not the employer's business.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Also: just because you did a kegstand at your friends Friday night party doesn't mean your a bad potential employee. What one does on one's own time (in a private location) is not the employer's business.

Agreed. I have no shame posting my keg stands online. Having fun is important to me, if an employer is not on the same page then I would be looking for a new job.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is ridiculous and is only happening because people let it (some because they are in desperate need of a job). Hopefully the economy picks up and people are willing to pass on a job if it means standing firm.

Personally, I don't have a Facebook account, so I don't know what they will say if I offer that up.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    PF

I think the Economy has picked up. I see a lot more jobs out there and noticed this guy said no. Employement is trending upwards in most states. (Not all)
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You: "Sure I can give you my password"
    Employer: "Sorry, we can't give you the job as you are clearly a security risk and we have to fear finding our passwords on FB"
    You: "D'oh"

Potential employer wouldn't even find me on FB anyway ....
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    My profile cannot be be found thanks to Facebook's settings so no employer can bug me about it to begin with as they simply won't ever find it.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I was thinking was Jibbajabba posted. Depending on your job, it is a test to see how much of a security risk the candidate to private company data. It is possible the employer could say that because you have no regard for your personal privacy, you won't protect theirs.

I won't have a FB account and pretty certain I would not provide the information about if I did. They may ask. I have the right to refuse and we'd see what happened from that point. If they stated I couldn't have the job, then fine. They probably never wanted it in the first place and if they are asking, there is a fair chance they already have some dirt on you if there is dirt to be had.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Some employers like to do the Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn search as a first qualifying run in order to save on having to perform a full background check (those cost money).

I don't blame them for trying, but disclosure as a condition of employment? Not going to happen.

I wouldn't be offended by a prospective employer asking to see my Facebook page. I'd decline, and if it was a deal breaker, that would be the end of it. I'd understand, but I wouldn't be mad at them.

If they actually had the balls to ask me for my logins, I'd immediately thank them for their time and end the process, as the company has just displayed a level of moral ambiguity that I'm not comfortable with.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some employers like to do the Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn search as a first qualifying run in order to save on having to perform a full background check (those cost money).

I doubt they do this "instead off". Probably most likely "as well as" .. Basic Background checks with Kroll start as low as $60 per candidate (dep. on the checks performed). If a company can't afford that and needs to use social networking as sole check, then you don't want to work there anyway as they probably can't even afford your salary :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I am already uncomfortable with the amount of data they gather in the regular background check process in the first place. Has this happened to anyone here? I read that some state or city agency in the south did this but it has since stopped. I have also read that schools and police have bullied people into giving up their FB passwords (even though you are under no requirement to do so) but it remains very uncommon.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't give up anything either and I would end the process right at the door. If any company wants my username/password before I'm hired I would tell them it's an security breach if I proceed with this matter. Then, If I'm hired at a company and they want my Facebook/LinkedIn/Twitter info I would tell them it's an security breach plus this is my personal life so, you go get a life. I feel if I'm not going to those sites on work equipment during work hours I don't have to share this personal space with my employer.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Maybe them asking is just a test to see how easily you would give out a password? Lol. If you handed it right over, would you give out your employers information just as quickly? Shame on you!

I'm not worried about my Facebook. It does not matter what I do or post in my free time as long as it is not against policy, illegal, or changes how I perform at my job.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Honestly, I would just straight up say no, and then if they weren't willing to drop it and move on with the interview I would be walking right out the door. Oh, and just asking for it at all would alter my perception of the company negatively, which could affect whether or not I accept a job offer from them.
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    rwmidl wrote: »
    Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, TechExams...anything you put on the internet goes on your "permanent record". You just need to think twice about things you post (do you really need to post the picture of you doing the keg stand?). And also, if you don't have anything nice to say to someone, just don't say it at all.

Exactly.

It's fair game once it's on the internet. You want privacy? Go back into writing in a diary and hiding it under your mattress.

I would never give my Facebook password out; however, I would befriend my boss/interviewer if he wishes to see what content I post on my Facebook. Heck, why not? If you are trying to get involved with a company that even cares to ask that information, you need to understand that you're now representing the company you work for.

I agree there are fine lines to this; however, I stand by what I first said...
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @Tackle,

I understand that you are not worried about the info you have FB and who sees it. The concern I have, and likely others who care about privacy is that TOO MANY people say 'eh, it doesn't matter, I have nothing to hide'. And simply by one saying 'I have nothing to hide' automatically implies that others who care and DO SAY 'no' to even the little things are 'guilty' of something.

Our rights and privacy as granted to us through The Constitution and The Bill of Rights may not say anything about our passwords and logins directly, but once we start the 'conditioning process' of giving up more and more things that seem normal or 'ok' to give up, where does it end? If you have more interest in this sort of thing, follow-up by reading on cults and things where the cult leaders 'condition' a recruit by having them do simple tasks for them, until one day even doing odd things seems 'normal'.

As with many things in life, "it depends on the situation" applies here as well. Which is why I said "I'm pretty certain I wouldn't give out the information if I had an account". I'd like to think I'd thank them for their time and leave while trying not to laugh at them too rudely. And the 'it depends' part comes in because like Tackle mentioned, it's not really a big deal...but it is a big deal.

And as I used recently with my phone company when they tried the 'we need to verify your account, that you called us on, because you may not be at the address we have on file for you and it is our policy to ask you redunant questions...blah... I polietly informed them, that it goes against MY policy to provide data that they have in front of them, when they CALL ME (which it was a follow-up to an escalated problem and I was awaiting their call, but they had the data to call me, so I was already cleared by the first tier). Basically, we were at a standstill and then I hung up and they fixed the problem.

But when representing yourself, YOU can have policies in place to protect your own privacy just like a business has policies in place to protect themselves.

There is still the option to open up your own business, so you don't have to take a job from someone, you can make your own! (yes, I know, easier said then done, but you call the shots then).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I would friend a boss on Facebook; but I wouldn't let them root around in my account. Nothing on my FB is that interesting, but the inside of your FB is like the inside of your house. Your new employer doesn't come to inspect your house before they hire you.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have my boss on FB. I never post anything good. Usually my fiancee checks me in to places that we go and eat or if we're doing something interesting. Other than that it's just updates about me studying - which, if he reads that then he knows that I'm dedicated to my job.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    I doubt they do this "instead off". Probably most likely "as well as" .. Basic Background checks with Kroll start as low as $60 per candidate (dep. on the checks performed). If a company can't afford that and needs to use social networking as sole check, then you don't want to work there anyway as they probably can't even afford your salary :D

I didn't say instead of, I said as a first qualifier. If the employer sees you posting pictures of you holding a bong in one hand, and a mirror with lines of white powder in the other all on your facebook page, then they're probably going to want to pass on you. Same thing if you have a potty mouth and like to espouse ideas that may be slanderous, libelous, or otherwise make the company look bad. If a candidate is willing to let a company see their page, the company would be foolish to not spend 10 to 15 minutes looking it over before going any further into the process.

A social media page is, except in very rare circumstances, not going to actually get you a job. But it sure can loose one in a hurry if you decide to exhibit bad judgement and then multiply that stupidity by posting about it for the world to see.
  • Options
    I don't see how this is related to them logging into your account?

We are talking about someone that you most likely never met, asking for your password to view your information. Crack pipes, bongs, needles, whatever, the bottom line is they are asking you for your password to log into your Facebook profile. That to me is almost as stupid as posting pictures of you and your ex hooking up at Mardi Grad.