Options

Will they have these ??

lfcwhoelselfcwhoelse Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know of there are any decimal-binary, binary-decimal, hex-dec, dec-hex and hex-binary conversion questions in the icnd 1 exam. Just want to know because don`t know if i should spend a lot a time on this section.. Please advise ...

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lfcwhoelse wrote: »
    Does anyone know of there are any decimal-binary, binary-decimal, hex-dec, dec-hex and hex-binary conversion questions in the icnd 1 exam. Just want to know because don`t know if i should spend a lot a time on this section.. Please advise ...

You should be able to convert /27, /28, /29, etc. into subnet masks and wildcard masks and vice-versa. You should be able to figure out how many subnets and how many hosts per subnet a particular mask allows. For many people, those tasks involve converting to/from binary, but if you can manage without, all the more power to you. :)

Understanding hex will help you with IPv6 (ICND2), understanding some debug commands, and identifying the ranges that certain values can be set to. I don't believe hex conversion is specifically mentioned in the exam syllabus.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ICND1 won't have you do VLSM. That's saved for ICND2 icon_smile.gif

Otherwise - You'll be expected to do these around this amount of time. Crazy? Nah, you'll get used to it. To get used to it - you need to practice. A lot.

I recommend practicing every day, take a break, and jump right in again. Do about 10 range finding questions every other day, taking a break between - to help with your retention. The faster and more accurate your subnetting means you'll have more time for other things and other possible problems. You'll be asked questions that need you to subnet to troubleshoot, design, or count.

Do the practices without a calculator. To check, use a calculator. It won't matter how fast you are if you do it wrong.

Speed:
    These are the time limits that you should be able to exceed by the time you go for your test. How do you get better? Perfect Practice makes perfect.
    5 Seconds - Convert Dotted Decimal to Prefix/CIDR notation.[255.255.128.0 to /17]
    5 Seconds - Convert Prefix/CIDR notation to Dotted Decimal.[/17 to 255.255.128.0]
    15 Seconds - Find: Subnet, Broadcast, Range. [10.0.128.0, 10.0.255.255, 10.0.128.0 - 10.0.255.255]
    15 Seconds - Find: Number of subnets, Hosts per subnet. [512, 32768]
    30 Seconds - Find mask that meet requirements that maximize subnets / hosts per subnet.

Practice Sites.
    Random Network, Broadcast, First, Last Addresses and Ranges = subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online
    VLSM Practice = Practice Subnet Skills: Design a VLSM Network

Select the class of networks: = Classes of Networks
    Network, Broadcast and First,Last Usables = IP Subnet Practice
    CIDR Mask to Dotted Decimal = CIDR to Dotted Decimal
    Dotted Decimal to CIDR Mask = Dotted Decimal to CIDR

Over prepare yourself. It's not that difficult to master, just takes time and flexing those mind muscles.

Like my old AF SSgt does - he prepared us for the rifle assembly test by making us shoot for a goal of a minute. The real time, unknown to everyone else, was 2 minutes. The assembly test didn't phase us while other groups slacked behind. Kind of the same idea here. Push for more than the target number.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    You should be able to convert /27, /28, /29, etc. into subnet masks and wildcard masks and vice-versa. You should be able to figure out how many subnets and how many hosts per subnet a particular mask allows. For many people, those tasks involve converting to/from binary, but if you can manage without, all the more power to you. :) Understanding hex will help you with IPv6 (ICND2), understanding some debug commands, and identifying the ranges that certain values can be set to. I don't believe hex conversion is specifically mentioned in the exam syllabus.
    Cheers !!
  • Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    ICND1 won't have you do VLSM. That's saved for ICND2 icon_smile.gif Otherwise - You'll be expected to do these around this amount of time. Crazy? Nah, you'll get used to it. To get used to it - you need to practice. A lot. I recommend practicing every day, take a break, and jump right in again. Do about 10 range finding questions every other day, taking a break between - to help with your retention. The faster and more accurate your subnetting means you'll have more time for other things and other possible problems. You'll be asked questions that need you to subnet to troubleshoot, design, or count. Do the practices without a calculator. To check, use a calculator. It won't matter how fast you are if you do it wrong. Speed: These are the time limits that you should be able to exceed by the time you go for your test. How do you get better? Perfect Practice makes perfect. 5 Seconds - Convert Dotted Decimal to Prefix/CIDR notation.[255.255.128.0 to /17] 5 Seconds - Convert Prefix/CIDR notation to Dotted Decimal.[/17 to 255.255.128.0] 15 Seconds - Find: Subnet, Broadcast, Range. [10.0.128.0, 10.0.255.255, 10.0.128.0 - 10.0.255.255] 15 Seconds - Find: Number of subnets, Hosts per subnet. [512, 32768] 30 Seconds - Find mask that meet requirements that maximize subnets / hosts per subnet. Practice Sites. Random Network, Broadcast, First, Last Addresses and Ranges = subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online VLSM Practice = Practice Subnet Skills: Design a VLSM Network Select the class of networks: = Classes of Networks Network, Broadcast and First,Last Usables = IP Subnet Practice CIDR Mask to Dotted Decimal = CIDR to Dotted Decimal Dotted Decimal to CIDR Mask = Dotted Decimal to CIDR Over prepare yourself. It's not that difficult to master, just takes time and flexing those mind muscles. Like my old AF SSgt does - he prepared us for the rifle assembly test by making us shoot for a goal of a minute. The real time, unknown to everyone else, was 2 minutes. The assembly test didn't phase us while other groups slacked behind. Kind of the same idea here. Push for more than the target number.
    Thanks excellent information ... :0)
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284

Exactly what I've been looking for!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bookmarking this right now. Thanks!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S