Options

Have a problem on my Frame Relay topology with RIPv2 routing

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im gonna add the relevant file here for you. But before that, i must say that i didn't configure subinterfaces. Just went with IARP then static mapping. Routers see each other. However, when i add hosts to each router and ping other routers from that host, packet can't get back! "request timed out" shows up. I wanna be sure that this is because split horizon! Cos, even routers see each other and ping successfully, i can not see anything rather than"directly connected" on the routing table. Site won't add my .pkt file. So, i need to upload it somewhere else. 2shared - file upload
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    important.gif The file link that you requested is not valid. Please contact link publisher or try to make a search.
  • Options
    ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Just a quick thing to check is your firewall. If you are on windows try disabling it and then ping. You can check your arp table on the host as well.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Shanman wrote: »
    Just a quick thing to check is your firewall. If you are on windows try disabling it and then ping. You can check your arp table on the host as well.

I think he's using packet tracer.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    What type of topology are you using for frame-relay? Hub and spoke or full mesh?
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I think he's using packet tracer.
    He is. And when he solves the problem he'll open a new thread so no one can keep track of his posts.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Hub and spokes. They are on the same subnet. Ethernet networks behind them. Solved the issue but not sure by disabling split horizon on the hub oradvertising all networks including the one all routers know.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    thedrama wrote: »
    Hub and spokes. They are on the same subnet. Ethernet networks behind them. Solved the issue but not sure by disabling split horizon on the hub oradvertising all networks including the one all routers know.
    rip (and eigrp) use split horizon as loop prevention. This means they won't send the route back out the interface it was learned (the logic here being you sent it to me why should i send it back) because of the way FR works in hub and spoke it wasn't sending the updates out as they were coming in on the same interface
  • Options
    aldous wrote: »
    rip (and eigrp) use split horizon as loop prevention. This means they won't send the route back out the interface it was learned (the logic here being you sent it to me why should i send it back) because of the way FR works in hub and spoke it wasn't sending the updates out as they were coming in on the same interface
    sorry, not to insult you but EIGRP is not a distance vector protocol. You probably were gonna say IGRP, rather. However, in my case, i am suspicous about why i should advertise the network known by all routers already!

• Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    sorry, not to insult you but EIGRP is not a distance vector protocol. You probably were gonna say IGRP, rather. However, in my case, i am suspicous about why i should advertise the network known by all routers already!

Actually EIGRP is a distance vector routing protocol.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sorry, not to insult you but EIGRP is not a distance vector protocol.
    Sorry, not to insult you, but EIGRP is indeed a distance vector routing protocol. :p

From Cisco's website:

"EIGRP is an enhanced distance vector protocol, relying on the Diffused Update Algorithm (DUAL) to calculate the shortest path to a destination within a network."
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    However, in my case, i am suspicous about why i should advertise the network known by all routers already!

In a typical frame-relay hub-and-spoke topology, the spokes form adjacencies with the Hub, but not with one another. If you add network 192.168.32.0 to SpokeA, it will tell the Hub; it won't tell SpokeB. Therefore, for dynamic and full network connectivity, we need the Hub to relay routes between spokes. It needs to tell SpokeB about the new network. It won't do this--assuming SpokeA and SpokeB are both reached via the same Hub interface--without configuring a form of 'no ip split-horizon' on that interface.