Options

Routing Protocols Study

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Any recommended material on studying routing protocols and all the workings. This is an area I really want to grasp but seem to be struggling at the moment. I'm using Todd Lamelle book, CBT Nuggets.
I want to nail the CCNA level of knowledge but also beyond this.

Anyone found that one piece of material to help them nail routing protocols?

Comments

• Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I can't suggest one piece of material.

I would just suggest using many pieces of material and hit the topics from all angles. I read about 4 different sources of material when I was learning those.

You could read through the CCNP ROUTE book if you wanted to have over-and-above the level of knowledge you need for the CCNA.
  • Options
    dirtyharrydirtyharry Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All routing protocols, or just the ones on the CCNA? Routing protocols in general?

Narrow the focus a little.

If you want to master the protocols for the CCNA, read the Wendell Odom cert guide. He's written fairly detailed chapters on EIGRP and OSPF. Are you looking for info on protocols like BGP and IS-IS?
  • Options
    dirtyharry wrote: »
    All routing protocols, or just the ones on the CCNA? Routing protocols in general?

Narrow the focus a little.

If you want to master the protocols for the CCNA, read the Wendell Odom cert guide. He's written fairly detailed chapters on EIGRP and OSPF. Are you looking for info on protocols like BGP and IS-IS?

I guess for the moment my main focus should be for CCNA. From my CCNA sources so far though, I feel like I'm not grasping the concepts.
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Chris Bryant's ebook is pretty good at covering these in detail and doing it in a way that really helped me understand it. He is having a $10 sale right now. It's CERTAINLY worth the money!
  • Options
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    Chris Bryant's ebook is pretty good at covering these in detail and doing it in a way that really helped me understand it. He is having a $10 sale right now. It's CERTAINLY worth the money!

I actually bought that at the start of the week. Not had time to look at it yet though. Fingers crossed this will start to make things more clearer.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Without knowing what it is you're not grasping, it's kindof hard to give advice, but one thing springs to mind:

For all that RIP is bashed on, I think it's a pretty good 'introduction to routing protocols' routing protocol, because of its simplicity. If you're trying to grasp EIGRP (or horror! OSPF) without having the basic theory down, it's probably quite a bit harder.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    i would say the best way to nail this is to actually DO it. for routing for CCNA and beyond get GNS3 installed and start labbing.
    there are tons of free available labs out there. i used a lot of Welcome to GNS3Vault labs to practise for CCNP ROUTE.

if you dont understand something get a book or review the cbt nugget videos covering the part you are having problems with.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Amazon.com: Routing Protocols and Concepts, CCNA Exploration Companion Guide (9781587132063): Rick Graziani, Allan Johnson: Books

Just finished that book for a class, and it was a really good book on both application and concept.
  • Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    control wrote: »
    Any recommended material on studying routing protocols and all the workings. This is an area I really want to grasp but seem to be struggling at the moment. I'm using Todd Lamelle book, CBT Nuggets.
    I want to nail the CCNA level of knowledge but also beyond this.

Anyone found that one piece of material to help them nail routing protocols?

As with most topics for this exam, here's how I approach it:

1. Study the theories (books), make sure you understand the basics.

2. Once you get the basics, put your understandings into action via a good simulator excercises and see how things "flow". Sooner than later, you'll start getting to know the commands and remember them and the kind of output they produce and what to look for.

I try to devote 2 hours a day now for this stuff.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • Options
    zrockstar wrote: »
    Amazon.com: Routing Protocols and Concepts, CCNA Exploration Companion Guide (9781587132063): Rick Graziani, Allan Johnson: Books

Just finished that book for a class, and it was a really good book on both application and concept.

Does that book need to be used alongside a specific class or can it be read on it's own?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lammle's explanations are fairly good. If you're not grasping what he's saying, I'd second getting some hands-on practice with the simulator or rental rack of your choice. Try out all the show, configuration, and debug commands your exam covers.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    control wrote: »
    Does that book need to be used alongside a specific class or can it be read on it's own?

It can be read on its own and is very good on its own, there is no reference or mention to any academy only resources besides some PT labs.