Options

Routing Protocols - Again

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Am I right in saying that routing protocols do not "Auto Discover" routes? I mean, the routes are always initially programmed/advertised by an engineer first on the actual routers that have the routes directly connected. From there other routers will learn of them.

We can't just have router A and B discover each other’s networks first, before actually advertising the routes with a protocol on each router?

Make Sense?

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As far as I know, each router is to be configured to advertise it's directly connected networks. There's no auto discovery that I know about.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    control wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that routing protocols do not "Auto Discover" routes? I mean, the routes are always initially programmed/advertised by an engineer first on the actual routers that have the routes directly connected. From there other routers will learn of them.
    Yes and no. If my internal network is 172.16.x.x, and I tell my IGP (EIGRP, OSPF, RIP, etc) to include 172.16.0.0/16, as I bring up / address new interfaces on subnets of that network, they're auto-discovered and advertised by the routing protocol. You can take this a step further in OSPF with "network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 area 0" (discover/advertise anything it's connected to).

(Tech Note-- Perhaps coupled with "passive-interface default", depending on whether you want the router to only advertise all connected networks/subnets, or to both advertise and attempt to form adjacencies on them.)
    We can't just have router A and B discover each other’s networks first, before actually advertising the routes with a protocol on each router? Make Sense?
    Again, the above configuration would allow router A to automatically discover/advertise all its directly connected networks/subnets. Router A has no means to automatically discover router's B networks/subnets without talking to it, and that's one thing a routing protocol, in fact, does. It allows those neighboring routers to speak together and share routing information.

(Tech Note-- There are alternatives to routing protocols for automatically discovering a neighboring router's directly connected networks/subnets. Notably, CDP-speakers can share this info if you configure ODR).
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    control wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that routing protocols do not "Auto Discover" routes? I mean, the routes are always initially programmed/advertised by an engineer first on the actual routers that have the routes directly connected. From there other routers will learn of them. We can't just have router A and B discover each other’s networks first, before actually advertising the routes with a protocol on each router? Make Sense?
    In the internetwork, all routers have to have same routing table. They learn other networks from their neighbors(routers) by advertising their ownas updates.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thedrama wrote: »
    In the internetwork, all routers have to have same routing table.
    Well, not the same, just a consistent routing policy across routing tables.

If a prefix is examined (show ip route prefix) on two routers in an internetwork, you'll almost certainly observe different route-types, metrics, next-hops, etc. And if you search for that prefix on a third router, it may not even be there, due to summarization.

example, R1:

C 10.1.102.0/29 is directly connected, Serial0/0

example, R2:

D 10.1.102.0/29 [90/2681856] via 10.1.203.2, 01:49:03, Serial0/1