Options

Home lab setup for 70-270

3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
Im setting up a home lab to practice my mcp on, i have two computer connected via a crossover cable, would the best setup be this...

Im on cable internet, have that connected to a Windows 2000 server using ICS, and the other have XP Pro installed on it to access the active directory on the server? thinking of hooking up a printer to the win2000 server and setting permitions ect for the printer.

Any input guys on a good set up? I have a 3rd computer just need to get a hard drive for it and permission off my gf to mess up the bedroom :D

Comments

• Options
    StarterStarter Member Posts: 169
    RobsonGTO wrote:
    I have a 3rd computer just need to get a hard drive for it and permission off my gf to mess up the bedroom :D

You might as well get a router then. It's not very expensive.
  • Options
    nothing_ptnothing_pt Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A nice thing for certs around OS's is using virtual machines like virtualPC or VMWare.
  • Options
    Ive had a play with Virtual PC but how would you set up a virtual router ect?!?!
  • Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    In Windows 2003 you have RRAS - not sure if it's in Windows 2000 though?

Nice car - twin turbo?
  • Options
    Well im having abit of a play with Virtual PC at the moment, just setting up a workgroup, ill look into setting up a win200 server and adding that into the setup.

As for the car, naa its a non-turbo, speeding on the M1 and getting a ban stopped me insuring a twin turbo icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    goasakawagoasakawa Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    woodworm wrote:
    In Windows 2003 you have RRAS - not sure if it's in Windows 2000 though?

Windows 2000 Server has RRAS. I use it in my lab (4 dell optiplex gxi's - 2 Win2k servers, 1 XP & 1 Win2k) but upgrading to Server 2k3 since it came with my Sybex msca books.

I didnt bother with buying a router cuz the Windows 2000/2003 Server (RRAS pc) will act as the router (via a 2nd NIC) so I just got a switch.