Options

IP Route question.

CompUBugCompUBug Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Refering to this image:

1-2.png

Users on the 192.168.1.0/24 network must access files located on the Server 1. What route could be configured on router R1 for file requests to reach the server?

The Answer is ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 s0/0/0

what I want to know is why is this the answer? How do you figure this out?

Comments

• Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 s0/0/0 is a default route

Default routes are usually used for internet-facing interfaces. Obviously configuring your private network to route the entirety of the internet is not possible. Default routes allow your router to continue to forward traffic for IP addresses that are not on its routing table. R1 will continue to compare packets to its own routing table in order to determine where the packet needs to go. Default routes allow the router to forward all IP addresses regardless of the address being on the the routing table or not. The "S0/0/0" part of the command is the interface that the packet will be sent out on. Default routes can also use "next-hop" addresses (in fact using S0/0/0 in the command is only possible on PPP links as seen above)
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    because when Users on the 192.168.1.0/24 sends its packet to the 209.165.200.226/24. R1 wont a route to that ip address, by setting the default route it will forward the packet to R2 and R2 has that route because its directly connected. although getting back to the host may keep additional config on R2 the ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 s0/0/0 command would be correct for the asked question.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    CompUBugCompUBug Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 s0/0/0 is a default route

Default routes are usually used for internet-facing interfaces. Obviously configuring your private network to route the entirety of the internet is not possible. Default routes allow your router to continue to forward traffic for IP addresses that are not on its routing table. R1 will continue to compare packets to its own routing table in order to determine where the packet needs to go. Default routes allow the router to forward all IP addresses regardless of the address being on the the routing table or not. The "S0/0/0" part of the command is the interface that the packet will be sent out on. Default routes can also use "next-hop" addresses (in fact using S0/0/0 in the command is only possible on PPP links as seen above)

Thank you so much. That makes perfect sense, I have taken courses on this stuff before but I have forgot ALOT of information so its jogging my memory. I have another question now...

The command frame-relay map ip 10.121.16.8 102 broadcast was entered on the router. Which of the following statements is true concerning this command?

A. This command should be executed from the global configuration mode.
    B. The IP address 10.121.16.8 is the local router port used to forward data.
    C. 102 is the remote DLCI that will receive the information
    D. This command is required for all Frame Relay configurations.
    E. The broadcast option allows packets, such as RIP updates to be forwarded across the PVC.

The answer: The broadcast option allows packets, such as RIP updates, to be forwarded across the PVC.

I believe I understand this one because the broadcast at the end of the DLCI is entered. My question regarding this question though is...

D. Would be wrong because the broadcast statement at the end of the DLCI is NOT mandatory for configuration for Frame Relay right?
    Why is C. wrong?
    B. is wrong cuzz the IP address is the IP address of the of the DLCI right?
    Why is A wrong?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompUBug wrote: »
    The command frame-relay map ip 10.121.16.8 102 broadcast was entered on the router. Which of the following statements is true concerning this command?

It sounds like you have little experience configuring frame-relay. Hands-on practice is essential for a positive exam result, and once you have some hands-on practice, you'll have a much easier time answering such questions.
    A. This command should be executed from the global configuration mode.
    Why is A wrong?
    It's wrong because this command should be executed in interface configuration mode.
    B. The IP address 10.121.16.8 is the local router port used to forward data. B. is wrong cuzz the IP address is the IP address of the of the DLCI right?
    It's wrong because 10.121.16.8 is actually the remote router's IP address. DLCI's aren't assigned IP addresses..
    C. 102 is the remote DLCI that will receive the information Why is C. wrong?
    It's wrong because 102 is actually the local DLCI.
    D. Would be wrong because the broadcast statement at the end of the DLCI is NOT mandatory for configuration for Frame Relay right?
    It's wrong because frame-relay map statements are not mandatory for configuring frame-relay.