Studying for N10-005. Update: PASSED!

jjrockjjrock Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

I'm come here to introduce myself. I've been studying to take the N10-005 fore more than a month now.
I have finished reading the Exam Cram book and have completed 1 of 2 included practice exams, scored 89/100.
Just started reading Mike Meyers book which is very detailed and explains the topics in detail.

I'm really itching to take the exam asap and I think I may be able to pass it given i take a few more practice exams, but I think I will take my time and finish the Mike Meyers book and also watch all of Messer's videos before taking the exam.

I hope to update this thread as I progress up to the test taking time and have my own "i passed!" post. hehe.

Please feel free to share any comments or tips!

My current resources are:
Comptia Network+ N10-005 Authorized Exam Cram, 4th Edition
Mike Meyers All-In-One, 5th Edition
Professor Messer’s CompTIA N10-005 Network+ Training

Jay

Update: March 26

Hi again! Sorry for not posting after my first one. But in any case i scheduled my test for today, and .. i passed! Woohoo!
1/5 through the exam, the computer popped up with an error and I was twiddling my thumbs for 10 min while they tried to figure out what was wrong. Anyway they switched me to a different computer and I was able to continue from right from where I left off with no time lost.

After I finished all the questions with 40 min to spare, i had flagged around 20 questions and I became very nervous that I may fail the test. I went through all the flagged questions, and I changed the answer for more than a couple of them. I still had time left to go over all the questions. Lo and behold i got 880!

As mentioned in my first post, I used those 2 books plus Prof. Messor's videos to study for this test.

Anyway I'm very relieved that I passed and I'm very much looking forward to the next certificate. I am still debating whether i should look into Sec+ as most people here recommend or go straight for the CCNA as my mind is still fresh on the networking stuff. What do you guys think?

Thank you to this forum for the support and help. I will definitely continue to stick around!

Jay

Comments

• ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
    Congrats and great score!

I would suggest ICND1 (CCENT) and then ICND2 (CCNA). But that's just me. It really depends on what career path you want to (or need to) take.
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    Congratulations on the pass! Which book did you prefer? I've just finished Mike Meyers All In 1 . While I felt it was a good resource I couldn't help but feel I was reading a lot of extra non relevant fluff material. I guess if I have a better understanding of the material I can't complain, but I felt the same way about his A+ book as well.

I understand wanting to jump into CCENT after wrapping up N+. I want to do the same as well but I laid Sec+ in my path and I feel compelled to completed it before going on to Cisco. I personally can't see myself hammering out my CCNA and then going back to complete my Sec+.
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats JJrock, you rock :) Top score:)
    The Wings of Technology
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the pass.

There is much more overlapping material between the Network+ and Security+ exams than there is between the Network+ and CCNA exams. If you want to tackle something that your mind is still fresh on, Security+ is the best choice.

Based on your posts I think you passed the Network+ after a couple months of studying. You could take and pass the Security+ exam after a month of studying with your current knowledge. However, the CCNA exams will take you longer.
  • sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congads...man!

you deserve it, after all hard work, :)

what is the next for you? Sec+ Micro$oft, or Cisco world?
    working on CCNA
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. If you want to get the Sec + out of the way studying with the Gibson book that's the best material and look on this site for the port info etc... Then, I believe with one month studying hard you can pass because once you get into Cisco you will be engaged because they are two different exams. By which, I mean Cisco exams are move involved than Comptia exams with their testing/material process etc...
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mrkali wrote: »
    ...I understand wanting to jump into CCENT after wrapping up N+. I want to do the same as well but I laid Sec+ in my path and I feel compelled to completed it before going on to Cisco. I personally can't see myself hammering out my CCNA and then going back to complete my Sec+.

That's a good point you make, Mrkali. I never quite looked at it that way. Now I am certain what exam to do after Net+. icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]