Options

HP, Dell - 1-2U half depth servers?

JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
Hi,

As I am setting up rack for my ccna lab, I figured why not look into getting a used 1-2U server that can support 8+ gigs of ram and connect it to my switch/lab and RDP to it for VM usage.

The problem is most of these are full depth, and I have no idea what Model Numbers to look for on CL/Ebay for half-depth stuff that will support virtualization and 64bit of course.

Any specific suggestions on models that fit the bill here? I am looking to spend $300 tops, as otherwise I might as well just upgrade my mini-tower to quad-core with 16gigs of ram and use that instead. I just figured why not look at this option right?

thanks!
2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.

Comments

• Options
    So far I've found Dell R210s are an option, but way over the budget. So I may just look at building something out of rack mount cases from newegg.com instead - Newegg.com - NORCO RPC-230 2U Rackmount Server Case 1 External 5.25" Drive Bays - Server Chassis for example.
  • Options
    SUBnet192SUBnet192 Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    So far I've found Dell R210s are an option, but way over the budget. So I may just look at building something out of rack mount cases from newegg.com instead - Newegg.com - NORCO RPC-230 2U Rackmount Server Case 1 External 5.25" Drive Bays - Server Chassis for example.

Late answer but that's what I did.. I have 2 of those cases for my 2 ESX hosts and 2 QNAP boxes for storage :)
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Supermicro 5015/5016 series are half depth. The latter supports Nehalam and 32GB of RAM I believe
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    SUBnet192 - Very nice! There is one bad review on either 230 or 231 on amazon.com about the rack mounts not fitting the rack etc but I don't know if the guy used some non-standard size rack. What's your experience with these, did you go with 230 or 231?

I found out they even have mini-atx boards for sandy bridge xeon cpu's as well, most likely that's the route I'll go next week :) I'll start with 16gb for starters, should be okay I think. I just need to also confirm if the intel dual 1000 nic's will work with these mini-atx boards as I want to add two.
  • Options
    SUBnet192 - Very nice! There is one bad review on either 230 or 231 on amazon.com about the rack mounts not fitting the rack etc but I don't know if the guy used some non-standard size rack. What's your experience with these, did you go with 230 or 231?

I found out they even have mini-atx boards for sandy bridge xeon cpu's as well, most likely that's the route I'll go next week :) I'll start with 16gb for starters, should be okay I think. I just need to also confirm if the intel dual 1000 nic's will work with these mini-atx boards as I want to add two.

I use a standard telecom h frame with tapped holes (instead of cage nuts). Only thing I don't like about that setup is when (rarely) I need to open up the server, I have to unrack it completely. I miss having rails :)

I bought a Skeletek 2 post rack for my Cisco lab, and I'll be keeping that one when I'm done instead of the telecom h frame. The vendor for the Skeletek racks (dantrak I think) has some kind of support rails (L shaped) so I can slide the servers in and out easier.

I went with 2 AMD boards 6 cores and 16GB ram per server. This allows me to run anything I want, from the most simple to more complex setups (a 4 server Exchange 2010 setup, with 2 DCs, vCenter server and a web server for example), with room for more :)

I went with the QNAPs for their iSCSI support, redundancy, ease of setup and great features. I can use the iSCSI LUNs to cluster Windows servers, for shared VMFS storage between my ESXi hosts, etc. Versatile lab.

A gigabit switch is required (HP 24 ports managed switches are fairly cheap) of course, and I aggregate the 2 ports on the QNAP for higher throughput.

I used that lab for my VCP recertification over the years (since 2.5) and for proof of concepts for clients, for Microsoft training, Vmware View experimentation, etc...

I tend to think ahead a lot and make sure I can make the most of my gear.
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Supermicro 5015/5016 series are half depth. The latter supports Nehalam and 32GB of RAM I believe

Not bad, the 5015 looks like only supprot 8gb from what I can see on ebay but the 5016 support more like you said but cost on 5016 is high enough that I can build 2x quad-core servers in the norco boxes :)
  • Options
    SUBnet192 wrote: »
    I went with 2 AMD boards 6 cores and 16GB ram per server. This allows me to run anything I want, from the most simple to more complex setups (a 4 server Exchange 2010 setup, with 2 DCs, vCenter server and a web server for example), with room for more :)

I went with the QNAPs for their iSCSI support, redundancy, ease of setup and great features. I can use the iSCSI LUNs to cluster Windows servers, for shared VMFS storage between my ESXi hosts, etc. Versatile lab.

A gigabit switch is required (HP 24 ports managed switches are fairly cheap) of course, and I aggregate the 2 ports on the QNAP for higher throughput.

I used that lab for my VCP recertification over the years (since 2.5) and for proof of concepts for clients, for Microsoft training, Vmware View experimentation, etc...

I tend to think ahead a lot and make sure I can make the most of my gear.

Nice! Yep, I figure with even quad core xeon and 16-32gigs I should be able to lab most of the things I want hands on..I don't have room for 2 of these so no QNAP or anything like that for now, will just have to rely on a couple local internal sata drives for now. Maybe if I later upgrade to a bigger rack I'll add another box.
  • Options
    Not bad, the 5015 looks like only supprot 8gb from what I can see on ebay but the 5016 support more like you said but cost on 5016 is high enough that I can build 2x quad-core servers in the norco boxes :)

Going with custom built boxes is the cheapest way to do it. A coworker just bought 2 of the smallest DELL boxes on the vmware HCL and paid 1500$ a piece for them, plus extra NICs, IOmega storage and disks (like my QNAPs), Cisco SMB gibabit switch. Overall cost of his lab: over 5000$

Mine: 1000$ for the 2 servers, 1000$ for the QNAP and disks... Here's an old photo... (CCNA lab)

IMG_0913.jpg
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□

Yea guessed as much that the 5016 are too expensive - do come with onboard SAS and embedded IPMI though ... nice little boxes .. as for 8GB of RAM - that is indeed a little bit low but as a lab normally just fine ... 8GB here run a CentOS, Windows 2008 and Windows 8 Server VM "just" fine .... it depends what you want to do in your lab obviously ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Yeah, I looked into the R210s too and they aren't cheap even used on ebay. I figured it's time to upgrade my pc anyway, so might as well build a rack mount and stick it into my ccna lab. Funny, your config is the first I've seen with those cases but didn't know what they were :) Can't beat them for the price, thats for sure it seems!

Older picture of my humble rack, I got rid of the 3x 2950-12 port switches and added one more 2950-24 port so I basically have room for just one 2U box in there for now.

jeanm-albums-lab-picture2162-current-lab.jpg