Options

ICS question!

vwtechvwtech Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a desktop with one NIC and I have a Laptop with a NIC.

My Desktop is connected to the internet.

Question: Do I have to add another NIC to my Desktop to setup ICS so my Laptop can surf?
Don't tell co-workers your going for a Cert that they don't have. They may think your trying to take their job.

Comments

• Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    That depends on the internet connection you have.

If you have dial up then no. All you will need to do is hook up a cross-over cable to the desktop and laptop.

If you have cable or DSL then yes, since this connection is already taking your only NIC you will have to put in another one on your desktop.
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    Well there is another way to do it without another nic card, i have two PC`s, both with nics, and for my internet connection i can chose either USB or Ethernet to connect my PC to the Cable modem, going to try this out later this week :D
  • Options
    s73v3n2ks73v3n2k Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the simple answer is Yes

I am guessing you are aready using the one Desktop NIC for your internet or you wouldn't be asking this. Your setup should be something like this:

Desktop

NIC 1 - WAN
    NIC 2 - LAN

Laptop

NIC - LAN - connected to NIC 2 on the Desktop Via crossover.

You can use either USB or IEEE1394a/b Connections to connect machines for ICS however you are limited in the length of cable you can use. This defeats the object of it because why use your laptop when your already practically sitting at your destop. If i were to use this method it would only be for file transferring between machines.
  • Options
    johndoed0ejohndoed0e Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    why not just buy a cheap 4 ports hub connect it to the cable modem and share the connection and you'll still have 2 free ports , should you need to connect more PCs.
    While inserting a second NIC would restrict you to a network of 2 computers only.
  • Options
    s73v3n2ks73v3n2k Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    johndoed0e wrote:
    why not just buy a cheap 4 ports hub connect it to the cable modem and share the connection and you'll still have 2 free ports , should you need to connect more PCs.
    While inserting a second NIC would restrict you to a network of 2 computers only.

Hmm this won't work.

You require a router to route the packets between the different networks this is what ICS does, its a form of NAT. NAT (network address translation) is used by routers. icon_wink.gif