Options

Just realized I was 1 MCTS away from MCITP (Windows 7)

altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
So, I just got an email from Prometric saying, "Just one away". So because I have my 70-680, I can either take 70-685, or 70-686 to get one of the two MCITP certifications.

Thing is, I've taken the 70-680 last year, and that test was the biggest pain in the ass I've ever dealt with. I'd really like to take 70-686, but I don't see many people here posting about it, so not sure if it sucks just as bad or what.

What are y'all thoughts and opinions on the 70-686 and 70-685? I tried to stay away from Microsoft exams after I took the Windows 7 one, but this is a bit too tempting. I would love to have a MCITP credential under my belt in addition to the Cisco, CompTIA, and MCTS certs that I have.
CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
Cisco: CCENT, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see you already have 70-643. Have you considered doing the 3 remaining exams for your MCITP:EA? It would add a lot more weight than just a Window's 7 MCITP.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I see you already have 70-643. Have you considered doing the 3 remaining exams for your MCITP:EA? It would add a lot more weight than just a Window's 7 MCITP.

Yeah, I thought about it. Only thing is, I would be going a bit far and it wouldn't necessarily contribute to what I'm doing now. I thought about the Windows 7 one after getting that email only because it was one exam and would give me at least a MCITP credential.
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got the same email. You could take the 685 and get your MCITP:EST. I actually thought the 685 was harder than the 680.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    The 686 was easy. I took it as an afterthought, didn't bother studying for it or even read the exam objectives, and scored a 900.

Full disclosure though, I did take it the same day as I took the 681 beta and after studying for that deployment exam there was no need to study for the easier deployment questions on the 686. I had also just wrapped up 3 concurrent Win7 deployment pilots that I scoped, sold, and was the technical lead on, as well as delivering one of them. All that may have affected my perception of the 686.
  • Options
    Ah, interesting. Glad to know. Thanks for the feedback :)
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Honestly, 686 and 685 are just so easy compared to 643. If you took the time to finish 643, take them time and finish your EA. Sure, you're three certs away, but the 640 and 642 should be easy compared to 643.

I got the same email from Prometric. IMO it's really taking advantage of the general ignorance towards the MCITP line. Too many people in HR and management and even in IT don't understand that "MCITP" in and of itself is even less meaningful than MCP. If HR hires an EDST expecting an EA and not knowing the difference, someone, somewhere down the road is going to be very, very disappointed.

On that note, I have to say my opinion is that 643 in and of itself is a more valuable and more difficult certification than EDST. No one with 643 under their belt should be wasting time on EDST. It's like a CCNA taking Net+.

EDA on the other hand is more useful and could even compliment 643. I won't discourage you from taking that, but I'm still sticking with the opinion that you have completed the most difficult exam of the EA track and might as well finish out the track.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Honestly, 686 and 685 are just so easy compared to 643. If you took the time to finish 643, take them time and finish your EA. Sure, you're three certs away, but the 640 and 642 should be easy compared to 643.

I got the same email from Prometric. IMO it's really taking advantage of the general ignorance towards the MCITP line. Too many people in HR and management and even in IT don't understand that "MCITP" in and of itself is even less meaningful than MCP. If HR hires an EDST expecting an EA and not knowing the difference, someone, somewhere down the road is going to be very, very disappointed.

On that note, I have to say my opinion is that 643 in and of itself is a more valuable and more difficult certification than EDST. No one with 643 under their belt should be wasting time on EDST. It's like a CCNA taking Net+.

EDA on the other hand is more useful and could even compliment 643. I won't discourage you from taking that, but I'm still sticking with the opinion that you have completed the most difficult exam of the EA track and might as well finish out the track.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense in the long run. Although I didn't find 643 too difficult compared to any other exams. I have taken courses for the other parts (except for enterprise admin) and found some of them a little more tough. But yeah, I think I'll just consider taking EA, if not CCNA Security or SSCP.

Thanks all.