Options

Hardware Lab

kweevusskweevuss Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I been looking around the forums and I have some questions.

I have decided I think it would be a good idea to get a hardware lab for myself. I have earned my A+ and network+ exams and I know ccna will be much more involved. I am the type of person who likes hands on and I do have packet tracer, but I still like to see it in action. I am also kinda young I guess, 18, so I haven't had a ton of experience in configuring equipment. I just have had some entry level IT help desk positions and I own my own small repair business.

But anyways I been looking around for some what cheap hard ware to get. I'm not to familiar with Cisco model numbers and I get lost. I know I'm not buying stuff that will do all the new things but I don't want to buy junk that won't get me through my ccna and possibly ccnp.

What models should I look for to do this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kweevuss wrote: »
    But anyways I been looking around for some what cheap hard ware to get. I'm not to familiar with Cisco model numbers and I get lost. I know I'm not buying stuff that will do all the new things but I don't want to buy junk that won't get me through my ccna and possibly ccnp.

What models should I look for to do this?

Those two goals are in opposition, as they usually are. HW capable of implementing all CCNP features ain't cheap.

If I had the time for the distraction of setting up a physical CCNA/CCNP lab, I would begin with switches. Simulators do a much better job of simulating routers than they do of switches. Your main choices are 2950s, 3550s, and 3560s.. in order of increasing price (also in order of increasing functionality relevant to those certifications). Most of the labs I did required four switches, but you can test all the features on three, many on two, and play with the command-line interface on one.

In most topologies Cisco throws at you, you have two distribution and two access-layer switches. I prepared for my CCNP SWITCH with 2x3550 and 2x2950. (I paid $30 for 4hrs/day for a month rental, but then, I didn't care about setting up a lab--just about mastering the content a.s.a.p.!) For CCIE or full coverage, 2x3560 and 2x3550 would be better.

PS - If you do spring for a 3550+, make sure it comes with or you add an EMI / IP Services image.

PSS - You can do alot of routing on those 35xx switches, too!
  • Options
    Those two goals are in opposition, as they usually are. HW capable of implementing all CCNP features ain't cheap.

If I had the time for the distraction of setting up a physical CCNA/CCNP lab, I would begin with switches. Simulators do a much better job of simulating routers than they do of switches. Your main choices are 2950s, 3550s, and 3560s.. in order of increasing price (also in order of increasing functionality relevant to those certifications). Most of the labs I did required four switches, but you can test all the features on three, many on two, and play with the command-line interface on one.

In most topologies Cisco throws at you, you have two distribution and two access-layer switches. I prepared for my CCNP SWITCH with 2x3550 and 2x2950. (I paid $30 for 4hrs/day for a month rental, but then, I didn't care about setting up a lab--just about mastering the content a.s.a.p.!) For CCIE or full coverage, 2x3560 and 2x3550 would be better.

PS - If you do spring for a 3550+, make sure it comes with or you add an EMI / IP Services image.

PSS - You can do alot of routing on those 35xx switches, too!

Thanks for the reply. I do realize that I would probably need better stuff for the ccnp, but that will be a few years ahead of me.

I did see some 2950's for sale for pretty cheap.

I know you said routers aren't as important but I just saw this bundle on Craigslist and I'm just curious, It has 3 routers, a 2501, 2610, 2620. Are those helpful at all?

Thanks again
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes. Anything would be better than nothing.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Cisco  Premium V2 CCENT CCNA CCNP Home Lab KIT Fully Tested  -1 Year Warranty-  | eBay

I didn't look too long online but I found this quick. It has the 2950 switches. Would this be good to start with?

Thanks again
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Im my lab I used 2600xm routers. They can be purchased fairly cheap on eBay. Just make sure you know how much flash and memory is installed.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Yes. Anything would be better than nothing.

Not bad, but part of the fun is picking the components yourself :) You can kind of look at the list in the link you posted and price the components yourself as well AND/OR substitute as well.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    That equipment list looks okay for CCNA. The seller has good ratings and previous equipment sales, so they're unlikely to completely defraud you, but they do exaggerate quite a bit--be sure things are spelled out (images included, warranty terms, etc.) If you're buying used from less reputable vendors like this, do your own research on what each device supports and their prices for the best results. Less work (but more money) may be required when dealing with more reputable vendors.

Also consider upgrade paths. With two 2950s, when you're ready for CCNP you could just add two 3550s. But those 2600s with IOS 12.3 can't run IPv6. That will mean forklift upgrades if you want IPv6 practice. Mighty painful. :p

PS - Their description mentions a 2501 but that's actually a 2503--note the BRI port. They also make no mention of including a transceiver for its AUI so that's potentially a second purchase.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replys!

I was a little scared from that bundle because it sounded too good to be true. But at least I know a little bit more about what models I should be looking for.

I really enjoy this fourm and i'm glad I found it, I'm going to be checking it a lot!

Thanks
  • Options
    Ok I got some gear I found based on what people said:

I found two of the 2600xm routers
    and Im thinking of maybe finding one more to have 3.
    (http://www.ebay.com/itm/260990534385?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1210)

Also I found some 2950 switches:
    Im thinking 3 of these as well

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/170747118666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2601wt_977)

Only one more thing is I know there is some type of serial cable I need to connect all of these to act like a local lab (not super far in the book yet) and Im guessing I can use a serial to usb converter since I don't have a pc with a serial port anymore.

Thanks again
  • Options
    CCNA Certification: CCNA, Cisco certification, Cisco routers, Cisco switches, Ci

I've never purchased equipment from them, but they seem to be the epitome of taking all the guesswork out of the transaction and being very frank about the capabilities and limitations of its racks. You could do better (or worse) on eBay, depending on how carefully you research your requirements and the capabilities of offered hardware, software, and/or accessories.
  • Options
    I looked around on that website and it seems pretty nice with all the info. Although the stuff seems kinda expensive but you do get everything.

What is probably a pretty basic question is how do i go about connecting these routers together? To me it seems like I would need the serial adapter that goes in the expansion slot, and the cables that connect between them. It seems like they are pretty cheap. But to me it also looks like one router would have to have enough ports for all of the routers. Say I had 3 routers, the one router would have to at least have 3 ports. Then all the other routers only need one serial port.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    kweevuss wrote: »
    I looked around on that website and it seems pretty nice with all the info. Although the stuff seems kinda expensive but you do get everything.

What is probably a pretty basic question is how do i go about connecting these routers together? To me it seems like I would need the serial adapter that goes in the expansion slot, and the cables that connect between them. It seems like they are pretty cheap. But to me it also looks like one router would have to have enough ports for all of the routers. Say I had 3 routers, the one router would have to at least have 3 ports. Then all the other routers only need one serial port.

You can buy single or dual WIC serial cards, and also NM modules for 8-16 serial ports, then correct cables.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    What is probably a pretty basic question is how do i go about connecting these routers together?
    Using cables (power, ethernet, serial, console, etc.). :p
    But to me it also looks like one router would have to have enough ports for all of the routers. Say I had 3 routers, the one router would have to at least have 3 ports. Then all the other routers only need one serial port.
    Almost. The router acting as the Hub or Frame Relay Switch will need 2 two serial ports in that case: R1---R2---R3.
  • Options
    OK thanks! This is kinda a pain but i am learning way more than buying a remade kit