Options

Questions before exam on june 20

jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
I am going to sit fo rthe NET+ exam on June 20 but I need to study a few areas. Any help in these areas will be greatly appreciated.

- What is the difference between a Private & Public IP and how do I identofy these?
- Remote connectivity scenerios. Are there any of these on the test and how can I study for these? (IP,IPx, Dial-Up, PPoE, Authentication)
- Subnetting is my worst subject! IS the any subnetting on the test?
- Any suggestions on what I really should study
- Are there a lot of scenerio questions on the exams?
GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    jescab wrote:
    I am going to sit fo rthe NET+ exam on June 20 but I need to study a few areas. Any help in these areas will be greatly appreciated.

- What is the difference between a Private & Public IP and how do I identofy these?
    - Remote connectivity scenerios. Are there any of these on the test and how can I study for these? (IP,IPx, Dial-Up, PPoE, Authentication)
    - Subnetting is my worst subject! IS the any subnetting on the test?
    - Any suggestions on what I really should study
    - Are there a lot of scenerio questions on the exams?

Try looking over the TcpIp Technotes. That's just the tip of how much info you can find in the full edition. I would recco the special edition, it will help greatlt as it has more detail and diagrams. I honestly think you could pass using just those Technotes.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think alot of the test will be troubleshooting senerios.
  • Options
    How would you recommend studying for the trouble shooting scenerios?
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im not sure but i dont think they are real difficult senerio questions. Perhaps questions like,

A user running windows 2000 comes to and says she cant access the internet but she could yesterday. She can still work because she has access to her network drives and programs. what command can you use from the command line to troubleshoot this problem.

A.ping
    B.nslookup
    C.winipcfg
    D.non of the above

I dont think you can really practice this, just know what to look for and what is involved in connecting to the internet.

This is just an example. I dont remember exactly what was on the test. there is a bit of everything.
  • Options
    OK, great thanks.

Then those are very similar to the "FREE" test questions on this site.

Thanks & Regards,
    John B.
  • Options
    gabilangabilan Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes there will be many implemantation and troubleshooting scenario question in the exam. You should read carefully and analyse it before answer. But if you study well the network troubleshooting objective you will have no problem. Good Luck icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    KatanaSamKatanaSam Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jescab wrote:

There are several things to understand here. The first is that there are specific IP address ranges assigned for use on private networks. For instance, any IP beginning 192.168.something.something is a private IP address. It is intented for use behind a router where general Internet traffic cannot go. You won't see that IP address range used except behind a router. So your PC might have an IP address of 192.168.123.101. If you have say a USR router then your routers LAN gateway IP will be 192.168.123.254 and its WAN gateway will be whatever your ISP assigns you statically or dynamically.

Now the term public and private IPs gets a bit fuzzy when you take what could be a public IP address and use it on your private network instead of the 192.168.x.x. Then it is technically a public IP address but being used as a private IP address. Since no one past your router sees what IP are on your private network you can use pretty much what you want.

The key to understanding the practical differences between public and private really depend on your understanding of how routers work and NAT (network address translation).

Hope that makes some sense.