Lowest cost VMware course for VCP5

Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
Not to sound cheap, but has anyone found an affordable VMware approved course for VCP5?

Must be online!

What are the majority of board members choosing for course attendance?

Comments

• odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□

I posted two online courses in your other thread.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UCSC Extension

23 April - 25 June

9 July - 24 Sept

I wouldn't worry about sounding cheap... where I come from it's considered smart. Also a lot of places over here won't pay for it without getting you to stay for 12 months, that's OK if you are getting paid good money but if you are trying to go places then it may work out better to pay for it yourself if you have a good chance of earning more money somewhere else... and you don't have to wait around to make a move..

I prefer this way of learning over a few weeks than 5 days... that's too short for me... and it works out cheaper
  • Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    I posted two online courses in your other thread.

Thanks! I wanted to check out more options before I commit!
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    UCSC Extension

23 April - 25 June

9 July - 24 Sept

I wouldn't worry about sounding cheap... where I come from it's considered smart. Also a lot of places over here won't pay for it without getting you to stay for 12 months, that's OK if you are getting paid good money but if you are trying to go places then it may work out better to pay for it yourself if you have a good chance of earning more money somewhere else... and you don't have to wait around to make a move..

I prefer this way of learning over a few weeks than 5 days... that's too short for me... and it works out cheaper

This is a great price and I agree about the extra training days! Have you completed the course or enrolled in a future course?

Thanks for posting!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you're concerned about the cost, you could always see if your local community college is part of VMware's IT Academy Program. The class would last an entire semester, as opposed to four or five days, but you'd be paying the regular cost of 3 units as opposed to the $5,500 VMware themselves charge their own class. In my neck of the woods, a lot of CCs offer online courses, especially IT-related ones, so it might be worth a look.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    CCC&TI

I took this course. There's nothing wrong with lowest cost when you're footing the bill of which I paid for mine.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is a great price and I agree about the extra training days! Have you completed the course or enrolled in a future course?

Thanks for posting!
    That's the one I am going on... probably the July one, but I need to make a dicision by the end of the week whether to go for the April one if it's still available by then, times running out so if you want to go on the April one do it ASAP, places go quickly... I'm surprised the April one is available this late, maybe they put an extra course on due to demand...
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    as opposed to the $5,500 VMware themselves charge their own class.

The list price for a VMware or VATC delivered Install Configure Manage course is around $3,500 rather than $5,500. I know that's still more than an Academy partner will charge, but then you could get on a VMware or VATC class next week and qualify for VCP by the end of next week, and your class will be delivered by a VCI.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • AythanNyahAythanNyah Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    If you're concerned about the cost, you could always see if your local community college is part of VMware's IT Academy Program. The class would last an entire semester, as opposed to four or five days, but you'd be paying the regular cost of 3 units as opposed to the $5,500 VMware themselves charge their own class. In my neck of the woods, a lot of CCs offer online courses, especially IT-related ones, so it might be worth a look.

On the VMwares IT Academy Program... how does that work? Do I take a class and then take a test and its becomes an approved classroom time? I realize its much cheaper but the time it takes can be a possible quarter long course. In which im trying to find the quickest/cheapest way to get this cert.
  • delta7delta7 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is the most cost effective online training I found for VCP 5. I am paying from my own pocket sinraining,ce I work as consultant and the employer does not pay for training.
    However, considering the continuing education / training is tax deductible, I would get most of it at the end of the year or later. Your situation may vary, but consult your accountant for more info.

University of California, Santa Cruz. - UCSC Extension Silicon Valley are VMware Academy Partners.

Participants

Areas of Study and Courses | UCSC Extension Silicon Valley

30027.(007)-Registration VMware vSPHERE: Configuration and Management
    [V5.0] $ 1,200.00 $ 1,200.00

Discount total: $ 110.00
    Total: $ 1,090.00
    Anyone else found any cost-effective training? I would like to complete this in a few weeks, rather than months at a local college.

Post links plz of where you completed your training.
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I ended up having my employer front me the travel, hotel, and $3500 training class. We are heavy VMWare so it was no big deal- but I did feel obligated to stay for a year, even if it wasn't in writing.

The Install, Configure, Manage course was actually pretty decent at explaining the basics. I had a good instructor too- he was able to answer some higher level questions I had outside of the scope of the class. I would highly recommend taking one of these classes if at all possible.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I am doing VSphere5 I/C/M next week from home. Signing up for VMUG is a no brainer. $200 spent to shave $700 off of every course. I am a total newb, so I hope I can absorb the information well.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    lol Steve. You seem like a bright guy- I think you will be perfectly fine. Enjoy! :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I am doing VSphere5 I/C/M next week from home. Signing up for VMUG is a no brainer. $200 spent to shave $700 off of every course.

There is also a special with VMUG. When you sign up you get a free exam voucher for VCP5. Granted a free voucher comes with most courses, but if you go the CC route and they don't foot the bill, this is 25$ off.

VMUG : Advantage Benefits
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • joluis9joluis9 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am wondering if anybody has any newer information about what would be the smartest/best way -money wise- to take the class?

Where have you all taken it recently?
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Search for a community college that offers the course in your area. If something cheaper had been found it would be the latest buzz on this forum.

Also check out vmug. For $200 a year you can get a decent discount on training and exams plus other benefits.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    azjag wrote: »
    Search for a community college that offers the course in your area. If something cheaper had been found it would be the latest buzz on this forum.

taternuts found a CC offering it online for $235, not including the exam cost

http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/72885-inexpensive-vmware-training-options-4.html
  • dkpatrickdkpatrick Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am the vSphere instructor for Ohlone College in Fremont, California. Like any of the VMware Academy program participants, we offer the 5.x ICM course at the current class rates. Ours is a 2-unit class that runs a full 16-week semester. I don't have the particulars about the total cost because to take the class you also have to be registered as a student at Ohlone. The most current information I have is $218 per unit for out of state students and there's an enrollment/registration fee for Ohlone. I don't know what that is. It's probably somewhere on our website: Ohlone College, A World of Cultures United in Learning - Ohlone College, Fremont, Newark, East Bay Area, California.

We use the NDG Netlab setup for online students. Successful completion of the class allows you to take the VCP exam and enables me to send you the voucher information to get a discount on taking the VCP 5.x test.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Welcome to the forums, dkpatrick, and thank you for the information. Am I to understand that Ohlone College offers both an online and a classroom version of this class? It looks like CNET-120-01 is the in-class version and CNET-120-02 is the online course, is that correct?

** EDIT **

Man, had I known about this a week ago, I'd have dropped into your online course this semester; last day to add was February 8th. Looks like I'll have to come back to this in the fall.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Mr. Patrick! I was in your Fall 2012 class!
  • wrx7mwrx7m Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dkpatrick wrote: »
    I am the vSphere instructor for Ohlone College in Fremont, California. Like any of the VMware Academy program participants, we offer the 5.x ICM course at the current class rates. Ours is a 2-unit class that runs a full 16-week semester. I don't have the particulars about the total cost because to take the class you also have to be registered as a student at Ohlone. The most current information I have is $218 per unit for out of state students and there's an enrollment/registration fee for Ohlone. I don't know what that is. It's probably somewhere on our website: Ohlone College, A World of Cultures United in Learning - Ohlone College, Fremont, Newark, East Bay Area, California.

We use the NDG Netlab setup for online students. Successful completion of the class allows you to take the VCP exam and enables me to send you the voucher information to get a discount on taking the VCP 5.x test.

Hi dkpatrick. I am in southern California and I am very interested in taking the online 5.x ICM course. I checked out the course announcements on the Ohlone site and the course description for CNET-120 shows as being for ESXi 4.x. That seems to be the only course under vmware when using ctrl+f. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
  • HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A lot of people here (including myself) are taking it right now online through stanly community college. It's only $180 plus $60 for the book. Another section is starting on May 20th.
  • lordmorgothlordmorgoth Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a non-US citizen and live outside of the USA, would it be possible for me to enroll?
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Haswell wrote: »
    A lot of people here (including myself) are taking it right now online through stanly community college. It's only $180 plus $60 for the book. Another section is starting on May 20th.

Woah, this is far and away the most affordable option I have heard of yet.

At what times are the class held? I can't tell this from looking at this site. This could be something that several coworkers would be interested in.

EDIT: I'm not worried about the date range, I'm wondering about the specific times of day that a student is required to participate in the course.

EDIT: I found my answer in this post: http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/72885-inexpensive-vmware-training-options-3.html#post719150
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    I'm a non-US citizen and live outside of the USA, would it be possible for me to enroll?

That's a VERY good question. Try emailing Sylvia Lewis at slewis8950@stanly.edu
    Haswell wrote: »

Thanks for the info... I see that the capacity is 10 and looks like 20 are signed up. LOL I guess 10 are wait-listed... I wonder when they announce the next class dates.

No, there's 20 spots in the class and there's currently 8 openings. So 12 people have signed up already. These classes do fill up fast.

Oh. LOL I am glad you said something. That is an odd way to display that info, but I see the top of the column tells me that. Do you know if there are set hours (for example 2-5pm) that are required. Or can I do this whenever, as long as I have a certain number of hours per week?

I don't believe there's set hours per day. I don't know about per week.