Options

Passed ROUTE 953/1000 4/2/12

PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
Honestly the test was easier than I anticipated or maybe I over studied for it. I did the same for my CCNA in 2010.

I used CBT's of course (which covered only the general topics and most config)
I used both the FLG and OCG.
I used about a bazillion home made GNS3 labs targetting specific areas covered in CBT and some areas in the books.
I took around 50 pages of notes.
If I were to guess I would say 100 hours reading/note taking and 60 hours labbing if not more.

ROUTE was a really good experience. After obtaining my CCNA and starting a job as a network engineer I always had it in my head that getting a CCNP was going to kill me. But honestly I loved studying so much the 5 hours a night after work, 12 hour sessions on the weekend, sending the wife to spa days so she doesnt kill me has been totally worth it.

Passed with a 953 and 1 hour left on the clock. I am already jumping on SWITCH.

Comments

• Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats and nice score! Wait did you say you finished with an hour left on the clock?? Pretty safe to say you know your stuff I guess.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations. Nice score and 1 HOUR LEFT is very impressive.
    Good job and good luck.
  • Options
    wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Great work!!! Wow, one hour left!! You are a machine.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Awesome! Congrats!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    1 hour left... I am speechless. you must know your stuff back to front. With a score of 953 theres the proof though : ) I finished with 2 mins to spare

• Options
    PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is pretty impressive! Congrats :D
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I tend to overstudy.

My day job and bosses also allow me to do pretty much whatever I want. I study at work, my wife knows my study time is important at home. I cannot stress how important it is to create labs and be improvisational during that process.

I'm about a 1/4 through the CBT SWITCH vids.

Over the past year and few months I have spent countless nights on ASA's, Sonicwalls, CCNP study, CCNA Security (i had to let me exam date go by due to a major colo move that was last minute). 2011 was definitely the year of education. This will be my year of certification.

My boss just laid it down for me today they want to push me through a CCNA/NP voice bootcamp. I really love what I do and I live and breath it everyday.

NEVER STOP LEARNING!!!!
  • Options
    PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□

NEVER STOP LEARNING!!!!
    I agree :D and thanks for the tips.
  • Options
    I have made it through all 24 CBT SWITCH vids. I felt it was lacking a bit compared to the ROUTE vids, not on Mr. Cioara's part but it seems that we cover more technologies in SWITCH and just don't go as deep into them. I'm re-re-reading the FLG. Last time I picked up this book was probably 8-12 months ago.

I definitely feel like i'm getting alot more out of this book now than I did when I first bought it. Maybe its the professional experience I have gained over the past year or two, I'm definitely taking in the information and able to apply the data to a proper thought process that I could explain to a client or co-worker.

I was planning on taking my SWITCH this coming week before I have vacation but i'm going to push it out until May. I have dollar figures waving in front of my face from work to get my CCNP. They also want me to pickup a CCDA so they can check another ceritification off the partner checklist. I was planning on a CCDA anyways since ARCH and CCDP is so close to a CCNP test wise.

This must be the year of certifications. After all that they wan to ship me off and take a 2-3 week CCNP:Voice bootcamp...inbetween teaching inhouse CCNA courses, Backup Exec, and break fix this is going to be a wild year !!!!!
  • Options
    lincis_auslincis_aus Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz dude, you sure are a big inspiration to all of us. Nothing better than to love what you do, makes learning so much easier!!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats and impressive.

Money is a good motivator :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Congrats and impressive.

Money is a good motivator :P

Money is definitely good. But just the fact that my boss is like "so what can I do to help you be the most educated you can possibly be" is pretty damn motivating. I am now looking forward to building a nice virtualization lab (win 2008R2 running Ubuntu via VM passing through a dotq1 compatible usb nic to my layer 3 HP switch for a breakout). Something so nerdy about sending data from virtualized routers within a VM through a usb nic to a physical breakout switch and then through a firewall to the ole interwebs.

The wife says if I finish CCNP I can build a new PC/Server for this (for which I have obsessed over FX's and I7s on newegg daily) and I supposed 2 3750 and 2 3550's while using the HP as a breakout. It wont have QnQ tunneling at the breakout but I can also modify labs and such to take this into account.