Debug in Production Environment

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi All,

Everytime I read about Debug commands, there always seems to be some sort of warning..."Do Not Use In Production / Careful when using in Production"....you know the ones I mean!

Maybe this is aimed at those working in the field. Are there certain rules of thumb to follow when using Debug in a production environment? If it can bring routers to their knees, then how do you know when to use it and in what way is it used (e.g limited to Interface level)?

I'm new to all this debug stuff BTW, but my question arises from all the caveats/warnings that seem to appear in every article/book.

Comments

• SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I think if you need to use it (i.e. - there is a problem that you need to find) then you should. But, they are warning you against using it in a perfectly fine network. If everything is running fine, why risk taking the network down.

Also, until you get the hang of running just the right debug, that only shows you what you need, you should avoid running it.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    the cpu has to process traffic to debug it. If you use a debug command that causes a large amount of traffic to go through the CPU and you spike it up to 100%, your router will slow to a crawl and basically die. You have to make sure that know the impact of the specific debug command you issue before doing so.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Heero wrote: »
    the cpu has to process traffic to debug it. If you use a debug command that causes a large amount of traffic to go through the CPU and you spike it up to 100%, your router will slow to a crawl and basically die. You have to make sure that know the impact of the specific debug command you issue before doing so.

This is my understanding as well.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.