Options

Building a lab

2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
After not passing the CCNA, using all sorts of simulators, books, videos, and the very expensive bootcamp I took icon_rolleyes.gif, I came to the conclusion that I need the equipment on hand, to play with, whenever I want to.

I scoped out a few CCNA Lab packages on Ebay.

Can anyone recommend some sort of a rolling rack? I am going to put this in my 1 car garage (it's basically my "man cave", with the car, tools, internet etc etc.)

I have 100 some labs. I've got most of the theories nailed down, and I spend over an hour a day on subnetting. I just need the equipment to play with. I figured it's a good investment, even for the CCNP some day.

From what I gathered so far, I should be looking for a package that was equipment warranty and comes with IOS 12.2 or higher.

I can then program the devices and start with the first lab. When done, reload the router (not saving the changes) and then start on another lab. (most of the packages come with serial cards, DTE/DCE cables, crossovers and I have plenty of stright throughs).

Any other suggestions/comments?
A+
Network+
CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you want it to roll than get one from DanTrak: Dantrak Net *- New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.

I bought one of their 12 unit ones for $99 and I couldn't be happier. Two other great resources for quality parts and units is:

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

CablesAndKits.com

Also, one of the members on here is selling two 2950s for a fair price: http://www.techexams.net/members/jeanm.html. I was looking for ones with fiber to match my current setup, but I think it's a great deal, and almost went after them.
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    I would look at getting some 2950 switches on eBay as well as 2610xm, 2611xm, 2620xm, or 2621xm routers. Try and find some that include WIC 2T, 1T, or T1DSU/CSU cards.

You'll need an NM 4 A/S or NM 8 A/S in order to simulate a Frame Relay switch. You can just stick that in a 2600xm router and be good to go.

When it comes time for your serial cables, I'd order them all from Dantrak along with the rolling rack you want. I have a 20U rack from them and I love it! I think I paid around $150 after shipping when it was all said and done.

Let me know if you have anymore specific questions but generally speaking you'll learn more as well as get a better price if you buy your kit individually rather than as a whole "lab in a box" on eBay.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I should have gotten one of those nice 20U Skeletek racks, I had no idea the s/h on those was only $50! Now I am out of space in my 12U rack and having to sell 3x2950 switches to make room.

I agree, if you can afford get the XM routers as they support more RAM and can run 12.4. The 2611xm and 2621xm give you 2 fe ports vs 1 on 2610xm/2620xm. The WIC2T or 1T can be purchased on ebay for about 20-30 each + and another 30-40 for the NM-4a/s or 8a/s serial card with 4 to 8 switches.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    JeanM wrote: »
    I should have gotten one of those nice 20U Skeletek racks, I had no idea the s/h on those was only $50! Now I am out of space in my 12U rack and having to sell 3x2950 switches to make room.

Exactly what I figured. The shipping difference for a 12U and 20U rack wasn't much more than $20 or so. I figured for that price it's worth investing in now. I was going to just get a 12U or 16U and add the additional rack on top but figured I'd just do it right the first time.

I love the height of the 20U rack as I can sit it next to my desk and set an additional monitor on top.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JeanM wrote: »

LOL, that is my concern, but I can always get the modification for the rack and expand upwards ;)